IGNORED

Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40

DonB

The 15W-40 diesel oils (Rotella, Delo, etc.) are generally regarded to be as good as any for the oilheads/hexheads (when a maximum 40-weight oil is acceptable.)

These oils are endlessly discussed here and on just about every powersports-related forum in existence. Do some searches and you'll easily have a month's worth of reading.

I did not even know this particular oil existed. I went into an Advance auto parts store to buy some GTX 20w50 when I really wanted to find some 20W40 and saw the 15W40. I figured this was pretty good and it was priced the same as the regular GTX.

Don

Ah, OK. Well just fyi, there are a number of simularly-forumulated 15W-40 weight oils available intended for use in heavy-duty diesel engines (they are often on a separate shelf from the car oils so you may not have noticed them.) Many of their characteristics are indeed ideal for motorcycle applications as well and they are very popular for this purpose (again, where the viscosity range is appropriate.) As mentioned, there is more commentary on this topic out there than you can shake a stick at.

I was just looking in my owners manual and in the spec page the oem oil is 20w50, but other weights are supplied in the table as well.

In this same auto store, they had Valvoline 20w50 Motorcycle oil. $3.88/qt seemed reasonable This is what I just put in.

i have four diesels, 3 dodges and a perkins forklift. i run diesel specific oil(rotella 15/40) in all. i have a 1150 rt and i run motorcycle specific oil (mobil 1 vtwin20-50---it is a twin just on its side).makes sense to me. dopeslap.gif

Archived