IGNORED

R11RT - windshield extension question.

NEOHMark

Hi and thanks in advance for any info/advice.

I'm in need of lengthening the tallness of my 1150RT's windshield. At 6'2", I need to crouch ever-so-slightly to get out of the helmet wind-buffeting stream. Obviously I can opt for a taller windhield, or....I can put an extension on it.

So who's done this and what have you used? I know there are several aftermarket makers of taller screens. And there's an interesting product I've seen called the Laminar LIP extension.

It'd be nice to hear of others' experiences with any of these solutions.

Thanks again.

Hi and thanks in advance for any info/advice.

I'm in need of lengthening the tallness of my 1150RT's windshield. At 6'2", I need to crouch ever-so-slightly to get out of the helmet wind-buffeting stream. Obviously I can opt for a taller windhield, or....I can put an extension on it.

So who's done this and what have you used? I know there are several aftermarket makers of taller screens. And there's an interesting product I've seen called the Laminar LIP extension.

It'd be nice to hear of others' experiences with any of these solutions.

Thanks again.

I had the same problem, so before I purchased a new windshield and tossed the stock one in the corner, I thought I would try to improve on what I had. Pictures in folder at link below show what I came up with and I'm quite happy with it. I took some ideas from both Laminar Lip and Aeroflow. You still get a faceful of air with the shield in the low position but the air flow is MUCH smoother. When raised to the mid point the air goes up and over without having to look through the extension. Peace and quiet cool.gif

It is just an $8 piece of acrylic sheet from the home improvement place, cut to shape and bent to fit the contour of the outer edges of the windshield.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/ready2ride/R1150RT/

That is truly ingenius! Great idea and beautiful execution!

What are the demensions for the width of the new cut piece so that when bolted to the stock windshield it bows out and keeps the opening? Does it wobble or shake or vibrate at speed at all?

What is the material thickness and how did you cut it so professional? Do you have the dimensions for the cut so I could duplicate your shape and width? How did you fasten it to the sides of the stock sheild with those wing nut bolts? Great job! Thanks for any help! AndyT

That is truly ingenius! Great idea and beautiful execution!

Thanks!

What are the demensions for the width of the new cut piece so that when bolted to the stock windshield it bows out and keeps the opening?

24" but it is not the size alone that maintains the bow. I heated it with a crafter's heat gun and formed the contour.

Does it wobble or shake or vibrate at speed at all?

Yes, a bit in turbulent traffic (behind trucks etc.) If I was to do it again I would use something a bit thicker.

What is the material thickness

.080"

and how did you cut it so professional?

I made the cut with a band saw, smoothed the rough edges and shaped the corners on the belt sander, then wet sanded the edge with 220 grit paper wrapped around a block of wood.

Do you have the dimensions for the cut so I could duplicate your shape and width?

The overall size is 24" wide by 11" high. Curves are pretty much shaped by eye or traced around a coffee can.

How did you fasten it to the sides of the stock sheild with those wing nut bolts?

On each side there is, in this order, a small plate of steel, thin layer of rubber (old inner tube), the extension, thick layer of rubber (section of radiator hose), the windshield, 2 neoprene backed washers, with two 10/24 by 1 1/2" or so screws through it all fastened with the wing nuts. The thick layer of rubber prevents any contact between the windshield, and the extension and the wing nuts facilitate easy cleaning.

Hope this is helpful, probably more than you need...if not let me know...

AndyT

In the center of your extension, what is the distance from the inside of your extension to the exterior of the windshield? In other words, how far out does your extension bow away from the stock windshield at its furthest point? Do you think it would make any difference to the performance of this set-up if your extension bowed more or less?

Also, how high above the stock windshield does the top of your extension sit? Do you think it would make any diference in its preformance if it sat higher or lower than you now have it?

Great project. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Francis

Thanks, I don't have a band saw or the heat gun, but kept your pictures and your reply so that some day I amy try to get some heavier material and build one! It looks great on your bike and the fact that you built it your self is fantastic! Thanks Again... AndyT

I've been experimenting with a generically similar idea on my R1100RSL bike, which has a CeeBailley oversized screen, but lacks the stout hinge mechanism of the RT bikes. Using teardrop-shaped ~3/4" spacers made of marine grade plywood, I raised the screen off its mount, to make a slot for air to come up the back side of the screen and thereby reduce buffeting.

Your idea and application is excellent, and would also serve to give better protection of the arms and upper body.

From you comments, it seems that perhaps ~1/8" Plexiglass might be a good thickness. Strips of heavy duty Velcro or similar would disperse the stresses over a wider area, obviating the need to drill holes. That would also allow you to adjust the gap between lip and screen, and move the lip up or down the screen. The price is certainly right.

Thanks very much for sharing this superb idea and application with us.

BTW, have you noticed any change in fuel economy since making this modification?

Easy answer... Cee Bailey #2 +7" -+.

I am 6'3" and tried Parabellum, stock and etc.

A friend suggested taping some cardboard to the stock windshield to make it taller and go for a ride. It should be too tall and as you ride, stop and trim it down with scissors - repeatedly till you have the height that works.

I did this and ended up with a #2 Plus 7". Now- understand that it is NOT 7" taller, but 7" longer than stock.

I typically didn't raise the screen more than 30% and this made the screen much closer to me and less room for the wind to collapse in my face. I could easily see over it.

When it rained, I raised it more to look through it.

Wonderful setup!!!!!!

"...In the center of your extension, what is the distance from the inside of your extension to the exterior of the windshield? In other words, how far out does your extension bow away from the stock windshield at its furthest point? Do you think it would make any difference to the performance of this set-up if your extension bowed more or less?..."

There is a gap of 1.25" and this is not by design but the result of the extension following the radius of the curves at the sides of the 'shield. If you look straight down at the 'shield you will see that the sides seem to share the same radius while the front of the shield is "flattened". Does this make any sense? Following this radius alleviates any stress on the mounting points.

"...Also, how high above the stock windshield does the top of your extension sit? Do you think it would make any diference in its preformance if it sat higher or lower than you now have it?..."

Measured lengthwise (not from floor up) the top edge of the extension is 2.5" beyond the edge of the 'shield. I guess any change to this would be a personal preference (your height, posture, etc).

"...Strips of heavy duty Velcro or similar would disperse the stresses over a wider area, obviating the need to drill holes. That would also allow you to adjust the gap between lip and screen, and move the lip up or down the screen..."

Actually I started with velcro for just the reasons you suggest, but it just didn't seem secure enough. I also toyed with the idea of cutting slots for up/down adjustability but I don't believe it is necessary now.

"...BTW, have you noticed any change in fuel economy since making this modification?..."

No change, probably because the overall height while riding now is lower than before and at this height the 'shield is still swept back at a fairly low angle, as opposed to nearly straight up.

Thanks for all the compliments...

Archived