IGNORED

Broken sidestand ???

Dshel

Last night after coming back from work, as usual I pushed the sidestand with my left foot, and the extender broke off the sidestand itself, I was able - by looking down to wedge my boot in and finally lower it. The centre stand if fine.

Can this part be repaired, like welded back on ? looks like a light alloy, like maybe alumiminum, not sure...

Or do I need to simply replace it ? probably an arm and a leg... hand crafted in Germany... smile.gif

Thanks,

DS

russell_bynum

That's a fairly common failure. If, by chance, you are in the warranty period, just have them replace it.

Otherwise, find a welder to weld it back on.

Thank you so much.

It's a 2000... so the warranty is long gone...

Should I leave the sidestand on and ride to a shop or should I take it out and bring the 2 pieces ??

Regards,

DS

Thank you so much.

It's a 2000... so the warranty is long gone...

Should I leave the sidestand on and ride to a shop or should I take it out and bring the 2 pieces ??

Regards,

DS

DS, if you brought it to me to weld I would want it still on the bike so I could see how it fits & clears.. Then I would tack it while on the bike & either fully weld it there or have you remove it & bring it back for final welding..

Unless there is NO DOUBT in where that broken piece fits back on EXACTLY your welder will have a difficulty time placing it correctly..

If in doubt,, ride by his shop & ask the person doing the welding..

Twisty

Also, have the welder drop a piece of rod down the hollow center and tack it in place before they weld it back up for a bit more strength.

Thank you all - the part that is broken is not hollow, it's the extender part, the part that allows you to bring it down, probably a 1/4" in diameter.

Regards,

Denis S.

Well, I rode to a friendly body shop and a nice chap welded the part back on, a dab of black paint and $20 and it looks new again. All is well. clap.gif

DavidEBSmith

You should keep an eye on it. Mine broke during the 2001 IBR, and fortunately it happened across the street from a Harley shop and they're really good welders. (Although the guy used an arc welder on it without disconnecting the battery or ABS or Motronic, but no harm no foul).

Almost exactly 2 years later during the 2003 rally it broke off again, this time in a rest stop in Montana in the middle of the night. I ended up finishing the ride and riding home with a Vice-Grip clamped onto the sidestand for a lever to raise and lower it.

Unless you add some reinforcement, it will never be as good as new, and that wasn't very good to start with.

I don't know anything about welding. Does welding the tang back on weaken the sidestand shaft?

Al, only if done incorrectly.. Welding on any metal tube could lead to problems if not done by an experienced welder.. That side stand is fairly heavy wall tubing & the weld doesn’t go all the way around the circumference so if the guy was competent at all there should be no problems.. The secret is to not leave any stress risers, & to not leave any part of the original cracking improperly terminated & welded, & to not overheat the surrounding area.. Actually if done correctly the welded area should be stronger than the surrounding tube area..

Twisty

Archived