IGNORED

Getting "Maynard" ready for the big trip!

KMG_365

I can't tell you all how excited I am about this upcoming trip! We finally turned a corner a few weeks ago when Leslie figured out she'd rather pillion behind me than fly to St. Louis and it has really helped both of our moods. She was really bummed not only not to be on her own bike, but to miss out on almost half of the fun of the Pied Piper Tour was far worse. As I'm sure you all know 2007 has not been kind to us riding-wise and outside of the Spring Torrey debacle, we haven't really had a "fun" overnight riding tour since the Death Valley Daze Pre-Run in November. We BOTH really NEED to get out on the road again and see some of our friends we never get to see often enough and there are all sorts of newbies we still have yet to meet.

So, I've been busily working away on Maynard to remind him that he started out life as a TWO-up bike and get him ready for the trip to the east coast--the long way! cool.gif

Work sucks really badly right now, but I've been getting a few overtimes (nothing like Phil, yet, but stand by to stand by eek.gif ) which help out the cash flow a bit and we've been buying new gear and getting Maynard all dialed in.

I did the annual brake bleeds and replaced the front pads (the bike hasn't been ridden very hard in the last year and when I bled the front wheel circuit, the fluid still looked great, so I just replaced the rear fluid in the reservoir and skipped the rest of the circuits).

I'm waiting for the Öhlins to come back today from their second rebuild (50K miles on the last rebuild) at Stig's at Pettersson Pro Suspension and I can throw them back on! clap.gif

I thought I'd change the front fork oil just to make sure it's good to go (126,000 miles on it), even though the seals aren't leaking yet. But following "Twisty1's" suggestion of pulling the tubes off from below using a lubed 0.003" feeler gauge to break the vacuum (SWEET suggestion, since I RED-Loctite'd the barbacks on five years ago! eek.gif ) I found the oil in the first tube still perfect and purple--NOTHING at all like that black brackish water I took out of Leslie's forks (both sides were the same even though only one side was leaking) and I'm thinking as hers was manufactured over a year earlier (03/01), that they might have changed the oil they used by the time Maynard was built in 07/02.

New fuel filter and replaced the stock plastic quick disconnects with the metal ones as well as new fuel lines just in case. I also replaced the brass nipple I replaced the one QD with, which I broke at Gregori's Tech Daze a while ago. smirk.gif

I also bought Gregori's oversized Touring lids so we can pack better two-up. I bought a set of Kugler Klamps so I can quickly change out from oversized, to standard to citi-lids. The Klamps are pretty slick, but I had already drilled my old hinges out to accommodate a 5mm stainless screw (for my citi-lids) so I had to swap inner bag halves with Arianrhod to use the tapping feature of the Kugler Klamps. But thanks to this site, I found the quick and easy way to pull the locking cylinders and swap them as well, so that was no problem at all! clap.gif

I re-installed Leslie's backrest back on the "Top of the Line" luggage rack where we'll carry the Thermarests and sleeping bags. I bought a new windsock for my Autocom boom mic (the last one had rotted off) from "EffBee" at Brown's BMW, and also I bought a set of his reflective kits for the new oversized lids ( www.motoequip.com ) and carefully laid out where all the stickers go best! thumbsup.gif

I replaced the alternator belt in the comfort of my garage now since we'll likely be riding through Amarillo, TX on the way to Rally Point-II in Dallas! dopeslap.gif

I lubed the sidestand and also pulled the footpeg plate and starter to do the Splinal Tap spline lube (as well as the sticking starter gear service)--a six hour job in about 30 minutes!! Sweet!!! cool.gif

Let's see . . . new air filter, new spark plugs and the valves were still perfect--I've only had to make one minor change to the two top exhaust valves 12K miles ago and nothing prior to that in almost 50K miles! I also ran a tank of Techron through during the last First fRide Day with Gregori a few weeks ago. We had a really great Italian Tune-Up ride that day and when I checked the piston crown when I pulled the plugs it was almost completely clean! I could easily see the concentric machining marks on the crown and no signs of holes or other damage. I tightened up the screws on the intake tubes (just to make sure they're not leaking) and pulled the LBBS's and cleaned them off. When I get him all buttoned back up, I'll take him out for a warm-up ride, drop the oil and filter, and do a synch and we'll be good to go! He still purrs like a kitten, pulls like a mule, doesn't surge and with 126K miles on everything stock on the motor I really can't complain! thumbsup.gif

I've shod him with two new Pilot Roads and I've got to say that Mitch's Mojo Tire Changer is slicker than dog snot--HIGHLY recommended! I hear he's got his new set up working and is starting to get more changers cranked out now (as well as the Mojo Stand, I believe). I mounted my changer to the end of my Handy-Lift and now that I've gotten the tricks down, it takes me only 20 minutes for both tires--what it used to take me to break one bead before sometimes, jumping up and down on a piece of 2x6 and working up a huge sweat--and in this oppressive heat and humidity I'm one happy camper!! clap.gif

I checked the rims for true and the rotors still are only about halfway to the wear limits. I swapped out for Leslie's front wheel (her front was shot), and a few years ago I'd bought a spare front wheel and two spare rears to always have good rubber for trips and can run the squared off ones the rest of the way down commuting to work when we get back. tongue.gif

I ordered a new set of Motolights and sent my old ones back for refurbishment. It seems they've been going through many different iterations trying to find the ideal wiring/gasket/protective sleeve. Every time I have to have them fixed (which they've been great about doing, btw) they come back slightly changed. They took out the woven covering over the wire which protected the wires from the zip-ties, but which was implicated in wicking moisture into the housings (which, I'd been chasing as well), but then both of my wires broke under a zip-tie ( tongue.gif ). It looks like the new wires are like romex where the covering is molded to the wires and there's no room for moisture to travel and might protect the wires inside a bit better. I got tired of being without them regularly and just decided to buy an extra set so I'd have ones to swap out on either bike should I continue to chase their gremlins. We just LOVE the 50W amber bulbs down low and wide--they REALLY help in heavy traffic and part the "Red Sea" when lane splitting as well!! wink.gif

Leslie bought a new summer jacket from "British Motorcycle Gear" who bought the design from Belstaff. Apparently, the "Belstaff" name was bought by some Italian designer and their prices went through the roof. This guy bought the design (as well as the stylized eagle logo) and is having the "same Belstaff" gear made under his name in China and selling them for a third of the price. I was pretty impressed with her new jacket and my leathers are getting a bit long in the tooth, so since they were so cheap I bought a jacket and pants myself. We'll give them a good work-out on this trip and write up a review when we get home. It's amazing how LIGHT they are, but I'm going to have to do something about all the sliding around on the saddle! My leathers sat very comfortably on the Russell Day Long Saddle (oooh, I've got to go re-oil that too wink.gif ). And of course now we'll match completely so we'll look like "The Bobsy Twins" when you see us pull up! grin.gif

I also ordered my Shoei Multi-Tec flip-up helmet that I was supposed to have already ordered for my birthday back in March and that should arrive tomorrow. They've been on back order most places as they are pretty popular so while I wanted plain white, I had to settle for silver as I found it in stock at The Helmet House in my size. So now even our HELMETS will match! smirk.gif

I should get everything together soon enough to take a few "shake-down" trips on him to make sure everything is okay--did I forget anything?? lmao.gif

I'm REALLY getting excited now--see you all in a few LOOOOONG weeks!! clap.gif

wow i feel real bad about my bike. I change the oil, and said a prayer to the vacation god, so my bike will survive a one week trip.

to bad you do not live closer to Atlanta, you could make a good second income getting bikes ready for a trip. I was exhausted just reading about all that work.

Paul Mihalka

Super! It will be great to see you two again! All you have to do is to punch the right city AND STATE in your GPS - there are many Fayetteville in the USA lmao.gif

WOW. what an ordeal! Sounds like fun - and gosh, I've never seen Leslie two-up! Matchy, Matchy, no less.

Soon soon soon...we'll see you after a few more hours of overtime. clap.gif

Just got home from more shopping! I feel like a "mall rat"! grin.gif

We each bought a pair of Held "Steve" gloves (I wonder if they make a "David" model, too? lmao.gif ) and we STILL match, dang it! And then we went to REI and bought me some Under Armor long-sleeved tops (sweet stuff!) and some REI "Moisture Transport System" long underwear bottoms as well as a pair of poly-pro socks, a pair of silk socks (I'll give them both a thorough work out on this trip and report which one did better) and a few pairs of "ExOfficiao" briefs--I hear these are the bomb for distance riding--especially in the heat! The great thing about all this stuff vs. the cotton stuff I used to pack is that it washes out in the sink and dries in a few hours (so you only need a pair of each piece), plus it packs down to almost nothing and takes up almost no space! cool.gif

Well, we got home and on the porch we found Leslie's smaller jacket to try out from British Motorcycle Gear, and the Öhlins--dang THAT was fast! ( clap.gif ) . . . as well as a note from the UPS man for a package from The Helmet Shop saying they'll try again tomorrow since I needed to be there in person to sign for the helmet--RATS!! frown.gif

It might sound like a lot of work, but with the right tools and the help of everyone here from whom I've gleaned some pearls of wisdom over the years, I've gotten it down to a system and it's not only "not that bad", it's actually kind of fun! It's kind of that "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" thing: we've bonded, I KNOW "Maynard" inside and out pretty well now and I'm comfortable that with most minor issues, I won't have to lose valuable time on the road towing my bike a few hundred miles to the nearest dealer for costly repairs. Plus, even with 126k miles on him, I'm confident I've got him into reliable shape for a cross country trip (I hope I didn't just jinx myself! blush.gif ), and it's still a LOT cheaper than buying a new bike every year or so with the miles we like to ride--especially one that I can't work on now without a $70,000 computer. tongue.gif

All you have to do is to punch the right city AND STATE in your GPS - there are many Fayetteville in the USA lmao.gif
Yeah, FUNNY, Paul!! smirk.gif

I actually think this WV one is the one we were heading towards when we were supposed to be picking up Bob from the hospital in Fayetteville, VA two years ago! But the East Coast is SO small relatively speaking . . . it's still quicker than a map for me! lmao.gif

And now I'm gonna go install some shocks! Did I mention I'm getting excited?? clap.gif

GPS???? Jamie, you'll be riding two up and you don't want Leslie to get bored. I say go with the Poor Mans GPS. That way she'll stayed involved and you can actually do some navigating the old fashioned way . . . by using a map!!! Besides, I think it would bring back memories. The first time we met Sunjoo and I were experimenting with the PMGPS. So this time, you and Leslie can use it and you'll be riding back here and seeing us again!!! Try it, you might start a trend. It would save a lot of riders a lot of money. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

The first time we met Sunjoo and I were experimenting with the PMGPS. So this time, you and Leslie can use it and you'll be riding back here and seeing us again!!! Try it, you might start a trend. It would save a lot of riders a lot of money. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif
Oh Bob, you're such a Luddite! grin.gif

Besides, not on my new jacket!! blush.giflmao.gif

daveinatlanta

You're making me feel a little guilty. Luckily my Beemer can't read your email - otherwise he'd feel neglected.

I'll look forward to meeting you both.

Have a safe trip.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I feel so inferior, but glad to see you are getting Maynard dialed in.

Rich

Blah, blah, blah!!

Did you wash it????? tongue.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Blah, Blah, Blah!!

Did you ride yours????? smirk.gifwave.gif

Thanks and nice cover, wingman! wave.gif

Phil, why should I bother washing it? As much as I like Maynard, it's just a tool and it's going to get dirty again by the end of the first day, but I did spend about 30 minutes cleaning the accumulation of bug guts out of the oil cooler, if that makes you feel any better! lmao.gif

Frankly, I'd rather spend that time relaxing and sharing a laugh with friends--new or old--in some far off place. For me, it's about the fun and challenge of the riding, taking in the scenery, savoring the pleasure of being out there one with nature, fostering the camaraderie "in the real world" that we otherwise enjoy here virtually, and drinking in life's varied experiences before I finally punch out--never knowing when that might be. But it's those kinds of things--more than how clean and shiny my bike might look parked next to the others in the parking lot--that gets me up in the morning and that makes me look forward to swinging a leg over to hit the road again. The wrenching part is only necessary to be able to enjoy the trip uninterrupted--it's merely a means to an end.

But of course, YMMV . . . and have fun at Bonneville! I'll raise a few in Fayetteville for you! wave.gif

Rich

Me too, he makes me just want to push the RT into the Torrey ditch and never ride again. I'm leaving in a week and haven't looked at the bike yet. However - major announcement - I will be washing it first! Of course that's only because one side is covered in blood from a poor little bunny I hit a few weeks ago, can't get the coyotes to lick it clean...

Rich

Me too, he makes me just want to push the RT into the Torrey ditch and never ride again. I'm leaving in a week and haven't looked at the bike yet.
Gosh folks, I didn't post this to make anyone feel guilty! Well, maybe Killer . . . just a bit! wink.gif

I was just going through the check list of things and thought, "Wow, that's a lot of stuff!" dopeslap.gif

Of all the things I "checked" most were fine and I'm sure could have easily made the trip--even the leaking front shock wasn't unsafe--I was just trying to make sure I took care of my "precious cargo" and know that I didn't miss anything on this old steed. I'd hate to have to spend another two days in Las Vegas ( *shudder* ) instead of around a campfire with all of you! grin.gif

Some people travel with a rolling tool box on board, some people travel only with a cell phone, credit card and a roadside assistance policy, I like to avoid having to use either of those "fall-back positions" out on the road if I can help it. Maybe it's my job coloring my outlook, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cursing . . . on the side of the road, in the dark, in the rain in the "wrong part of town" somewhere in the south 3000 miles from home. crazy.gif

you did good and i admire your ability to rebuild the warhorse. clap.gif as far as the campfire thang....if the weather doesn't change it may be a big block of melting ice instead! too hot for fire. lmao.gif

I'm trying to think of what I could bring, but there are so many things not allowed on to a plane, don't think they would approve of the things for fixing punctures grin.gif I might buy a few things when I get to Washington. My phone should work, and I expect EagleRider will have some sort of rescue policy for me if I should break down. Getiing close now thumbsup.gif

Steve

1. Gosh Jamie do you have any money left for gas? eek.gif

2. As far as Leslie not riding her own bike she is more than welcome to take my GS for a spin if she feels up to it.

3. We've been hemoraging money as well. New windshield, sheepskin, Flooters for both bikes, reflector kit for Gar's bags, various underarmour unmentionables, new tires for both and Aerostitch let me trade in my electric vest toward their Windstopper Electric liner. clap.gif Probably won't need that until on our way back.

The pneumonia is just about cleared up too so I am good to go. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif See you there wave.gif

Besides, not on my new jacket!!

I am going to take a picture of you in your new jacket, post the picture and this qoute everywhere I know with one additional comment . . . "And I'm buying a Gerbings next!!!" dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

All good things happen with time.

Won't use a PMGPS because he has to look PRETTY - ha - I love it. And the first time I saw Arizona Al in his faded one peice 'Stich I said no way, not me, never. As of today I've been wearing my Lime-Yellow one piece 'Stich to work everyday for a year!!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I'll bring a mirror and some hair cream for you Jamie so you can make sure you look good! (You do still have hair don't you?)

Headed to Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday for a week . . . when I get back it will be time to start preping and packing old what's her name. No, not Sunjoo, the bike. I've never named her. I know it's a her because I only put the best between my legs! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Disclaimer: Dear Moderators - I am not responsible for anything my fingers type. Just like my mouth, they tend to run one to two gears above my brain.

CAN'T WAIT TIL WILD, WONDERFUL, WEST VIRGINNY!!!!!!!

Gosh folks, I didn't post this to make anyone feel guilty!
Guilty ... no. I thank you, Sensei, for teaching me humility. After last week's repositioning of my Autocom, and installations of both a Zumo and aux fuse box, I was starting to become a bit too proud of my feeble efforts!

Like others, I'm headed to the dealer for servicing this week. I sure hope nothing serious is wrong with my bike! It'll cost me a grunch of money since I probably can't fix it! dopeslap.gif

Disclaimer: Dear Moderators - I am not responsible for anything my fingers type. Just like my mouth, they tend to run one to two gears above my brain.

:cough: learned that the hard way blush.giflmao.gif

Hey, come on, babe

Follow me

I'm the Pied Piper

Follow me

I'm the Pied Piper

And I'll show you where it's at

Come on, babe

Can't you see

I'm the Pied Piper

Trust in me

I'm the Pied Piper

And I'll show you where it's at . . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pied: adj.

Multi-colored, variegated, black and white, piebald, dappled, spotted, mottled, flecked, pinto, speckled.

A brief intro for the story is here. And more than you ever wanted to know about the legend/historical figure is here! grin.gif

And in the (proud? eek.gif ) tradition of tabloid celebrity name mash-ups, I'm amused to present: "MaynArianrhod!" lmao.gif

185313278-L.jpg

185312860-L.jpg

185313046-L.jpg

185312506-L.jpg

185312587-L.jpg

185312638-L.jpg

185313405-L.jpg

Firefight911
Tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much time..................................... tongue.gif

That's why I like him so much!! Opposites attract. crazy.giftongue.gifcrazy.giftongue.gif

Hey Jamie,

The black nose and tail?? Are those replacements from a black bike or did you paint those? It gives Maynard a unique look...

Well that and the many decals...

No Paint was harmed in the making of this bike. smile.gif Maynard is an all black bike but since I can't ride my own silver RT (Arianrhod) this year, we thought we'd bring bits of her along. Since the theme was the PIED piper (see Jamie's explanation above), it seemed to be appropriate to create Maynarianrhod. lmao.gif

No Paint was harmed in the making of this bike. smile.gif Maynard is an all black bike but since I can't ride my own silver RT (Arianrhod) this year, we thought we'd bring bits of her along. Since the theme was the PIED piper (see Jamie's explanation above), it seemed to be appropriate to create Maynarianrhod. lmao.gif

thumbsup.gif

(but whose alternator pulleys & belt are you using??? tongue.gif)

It doesn't seem to matter, Mike. Each of us has lost a belt (prematurely) at the EXACT same spot in Amarillo! "Hey! This place looks familiar!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

It doesn't seem to matter, Mike. Each of us has lost a belt (prematurely) at the EXACT same spot in Amarillo! "Hey! This place looks familiar!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I wouldn't go there again if I were, regardless of which bike you're on.

Mayarianrhod seems more like a pied sewing machine than a pied piper, given the sound of an RT.

Be sure to take a picture of that spot in Amarillo this time as you pass through. A sign stating "On this date, nothing happened here!" will hopefully be appropriate! thumbsup.gif

You two are truly weird sometimes! (thumbsup.gif) I'm almost surprised you didn't do one side black and the other side silver in a Yin and yang sort of a thing.

Archived