IGNORED

Post your 1150RT gps mount pics

Willie

Trying to decide how to mount my Quest 2 on my 1150RT. I'm going with a RAM mount and Garmin cradle wired right to the battery on my KLR. Is there any easy way to be able to swap the unit back and forth between the 2 bikes? Please post some pics of your setups to help me decide on what would work for me. Thanks

gadget guy, pricey, but without compare.

100_1374.jpg

100_1375.jpg

100_1373.jpg

The bracket that you see above the tach and speedo is the support for the mounting brackets. It is normally hidden under the upper dash plastic.

100_0502.jpg

This is the bracket looking down from above:

100_0506.jpg

By the way the reason I tore the bike apart was to install this powerlet to power my tankbag and GPS. I'll clean up the wiring later.

100_0513.jpg

Overall a very impressive design.

I made my bracket from aluminum stock to fit between the handlebars, and mounted a RAM ball on top of it. Here it is:

gpsmount2.jpg

With a long RAM arm, the Zumo barely clears my tank bag - a nice, tight fit, and total cost was under $20.

-MKL

May not work for you, but had to make my own (since Garmin didn't have the motorcycle mount available for the initial Quest units).

gps5.jpg

Complete thread is here.

MO

No direct pics, but I am using the excellent Touratech Zumo mount. With the dubious Zumo security screw and the Touratech key, the Zumo is locked twice. Also, the power, audio, and xm cables plug into the mount, not directly into the Zumo.

I first saw these mounts on a pair of F650s that were on the last short leg of a round the world trip. The owners reported no problems.

01-065-0141-01.jpg

I know a few of you folks have bought my mount...and I would love to show my attempt to make a nice clean non intrusive mount,i.e. no mods required to the bike...but I am on vacation on the bike and using a friends computer, could someone post a picture for me?

Thanks, Jim aka 'jakfrost'

Slyder_Steve

Using a Hawk products GPS perch for my Garmin 2730 (hawksproducts.com) along with the Garmin adapter. Really like the looks of it, but haven't done a long trip with it yet...

184058448-M.jpg

184058521-M.jpg

184058737-M.jpg

Using a Hawk products GPS perch for my Garmin 2730 (hawksproducts.com) along with the Garmin adapter. Really like the looks of it, but haven't done a long trip with it yet...

+1, the price is right and I have about 10K miles on it this year with no issues. The only downside is that something like the Gaget Guy will allow the addition of a radar detector.

I've tried two different places for my Garmin 60csx on my RT. The first was a RAM mount on the handlebar. The second a RAM mount under the upper dash fairing. I've settled on the second position and use the first for my SIRUIS radio. Both have power outlets next to them. See picks:

GPS1.jpg[/img]

GPS2.jpg[/img]

awagnon,

I like the position of the RAM mount under the dash. How did you secure it and is it really sturdy? I want to mount my Zumo there if it ever gets here. Thanks

RAM mount under the dash. How did you secure it and is it really sturdy?

I epoxied an aluminum plate ( 1/8 X 2 X 6 inches ) to the back side of the upper dash panel. I then mounted the RAM ball with a screw socket ( I think a #10-24 screw ) through the aluminum plate. I used a fender washer painted flat black between the ram mount and the plastic to also help distribute the load. Seems very stable. No shaking, but I don't know how the weight of my Garmin 60csx compares with the ZUMO. ( You can probably find the weights on the Garmin website.) Anyway, the whole shebang only cost about $15.00 including the RAM mount which was $11.00 from Cyclegadgets.

Custom made with kudos to Chugger for the idea. He used aluminium where I did mine in 1.6mm stainless steel. The unit is not on there all the time so feel no need to reinforce the screw mounts.

185626331-M.jpg

Cheers,

Finally got home safe and sound from another 2,400kms and fun in the sun, not to mention the free lobster!!

Here is a picture of the solution I came up with for my R12RT, and the good news is it works perfectly in the R1100 and 1150 RT's!!

Click to enlarge:

miniimg2602bl8.th.jpg

resizedmount001nj8.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics002bi0.th.jpg

Jim

P.S. I have made a few extra for those who like the idea...

IMG_2978.jpg

Do they make a RAM ball that would thread into the hole where Twisty has his compass mounted? That probably would be too bad a setup.

• 1 year later...
IMG_2978.jpg

Do they make a RAM ball that would thread into the hole where Twisty has his compass mounted? That probably would be too bad a setup.

No, I made that compass mount from stainless steel & it needed to be just so to fit the hole & also retain the handle bars..

You could make (or have made) a round extension to replace the handle bar bolt then thread the outer end for a RAM ball with a threaded stud on it (they do make those)

I was going to mount there but found it allowed the GPS to cover some of the dash gauges up..

The low mount on my 1150 works just great,, right in the line of sight,, the rider keeps rear sunlight from washing out the GPS screen,, just low enough to allow fuel gauge view.. Might be problem with certain higher tank bags but I never found a problem with a low bag..

Twisty

BMW mount:

montageR1150RT001.jpg

montageR1150RT002.jpg

I had considered placing it higer, near the windshield, but that spot was already spoken for.

Mount works well. I'ts adjustable (for angle) and is secure. It also fits well. When I mounted it I needed it now so no time to go making something from scrap.

On the contrary, gentlemen, I have absolute faith in GPS!

I'm pleased that my set-up has proved a source of mild amusement; however, each of the devices performs a different function. Let me explain: -

The Zumo gives me directions. (No surprises there, then!) The GPS III acts as a trip log- a task I find it performs better than the Zumo, for my purposes- and provides me with a lot of on-screen information. The SPOT, of course, tells me nothing, but it does allow my friends, family and colleagues to keep track of my progress.

This strategy of employing multiple positioning devices is, I believe, frequently adopted in the former colonies by, for example, competitors in the IronButt Rally and the like.

Believe me, it is easy to get lost, even on a small island such as this, which is why (for the full "belt and braces") I sometimes add a 2610 and Streetpilot III to the RAM balls on the reservoir covers. :grin::grin::grin:

I shall now endeavour to remove my tongue from my cheek as it is time for tea! :thumbsup:

Archived