IGNORED

New to GPS,need cheap advice!

mrduck

We just bought an entry level GPS-Garmin novi 200 to use on our upcoming trip. Can I get this to show the side roads as we want to take the 2 lane roads and not so much the slabs. I'm pretty good with paper maps but wanted the "you are here" feature in case I get screwed up on direction. dopeslap.gif

They also sold me an SD card but not real sure what for or how to use the thing! I've read the GPS threads here and understand a little so keep it simple for my simple mind!

(might see ya in W.VA if this thing works!)

wave.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
We just bought an entry level GPS-Garmin novi 200 to use on our upcoming trip. Can I get this to show the side roads as we want to take the 2 lane roads and not so much the slabs. I'm pretty good with paper maps but wanted the "you are here" feature in case I get screwed up on direction. dopeslap.gif

They also sold me an SD card but not real sure what for or how to use the thing! I've read the GPS threads here and understand a little so keep it simple for my simple mind!

(might see ya in W.VA if this thing works!)

It sounds similar to the 276C, in that there is a base map burned into the unit's memory, and you have the ability to load detail maps into the unit from a PC for different areas of the country. One difference I see in the specs for the Nuvi is something about "preloaded maps," which I don't fully get. confused.gif

Anyway, the base map will have a coarse layout of interstate highways and main roads. If you want to see all of the streets and sideroads (+ shops, restaurants, etc.), you'll need to download the detail maps for the area where you'll be riding; that's what the SD card is for. Check the owner's manual to figure out how to set up the software on your PC and connect with your Nuvi.

Aluminum_Butt
It sounds similar to the 276C, in that there is a base map burned into the unit's memory, and you have the ability to load detail maps into the unit from a PC for different areas of the country. One difference I see in the specs for the Nuvi is something about "preloaded maps," which I don't fully get.

Mitch, I don't think your comparison to the 276c is correct. From Garmins Web Site it says that the "nüvi 200 comes preloaded with City Navigator® NT map data". That would indicate that it has fully detailed maps preloaded.

MrDuck - can you be more specific as to what you mean when you say "show the side roads"? Does this mean they don't show up on the map? If so, have you zoomed in really tight? Or does it mean you want to route on side roads and avoid major highways?

Joe Frickin' Friday
It sounds similar to the 276C, in that there is a base map burned into the unit's memory, and you have the ability to load detail maps into the unit from a PC for different areas of the country. One difference I see in the specs for the Nuvi is something about "preloaded maps," which I don't fully get.

Mitch, I don't think your comparison to the 276c is correct.

Certainly they're not quite the same, and you're right, I probably don't correctly understand how this one works. The description of the Nuvi on their site is ambiguous:

907532-nuvi.gif

Preloaded maps, but you can add maps? of what? confused.gif

907532-nuvi.gif.64bea26a86260c35b04a0f6b7b7bb2b1.gif

Aluminum_Butt

Preloaded maps, but you can add maps? of what?

First, I'll admit to not fully understanding some of Garmin's terminology since they came out with the NT version. That said, I'm pretty sure of the following:

* The NT version of the maps is preloaded. "Regional" refers to a country/continent (e.g. US/Canada). The NT maps are fully detailed, versus being base maps.

* The NT maps use a different kind of compression than the maps used for the older SP3 and (I think) for the 276. If memory serves, NT came around with the 27XX series. You can still buy maps for the SP3, but it's not the NT version.

* Where NT is involved, I don't think you can download maps from Mapsource to the GPS. If you want maps for a different region, I'm pretty sure the NT version comes with both a CD for the PC, and a memory card for the GPS.

The instructions for this are kinda vauge as far as the SD card and what to do with it. What I'd like is to be able to is have this thing route me down the side roads instead of on the slabs. What I've figured out so far ( I think) is if I put in my ending destination then take off on the roads I want it will get me where I need to be when I get close. The sales guy said something about putting the address on the SD card but nothing in the manual metions any thing about the SD card. confused.gif

We just bought an entry level GPS-Garmin novi 200 to use on our upcoming trip. Can I get this to show the side roads as we want to take the 2 lane roads and not so much the slabs.

If you go to map settings, you should be able to tell it to "avoid" interstates.

I find with my Street Pilot III, I have to use the .2 mile scale or closer to see local streets. Perhaps you need to zoom in closer in order to see the smaller raods you are looking for.

I find with my Street Pilot III, I have to use the .2 mile scale or closer to see local streets. Perhaps you need to zoom in closer in order to see the smaller raods you are looking for.

I can see the roads I wanna take, but don't know how to make GPS route me there-I'll try the avoid the interstate thing!

wave.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

I can see the roads I wanna take, but don't know how to make GPS route me there-I'll try the avoid the interstate thing! wave.gif

Look in the menus on the GPS unit; look for something like "routing options," and see if you can find one that says "avoid interstates" or something like that.

Frustrated_Diver

Mr. mrduck,

While i have a somewhat different model (Nuvi 660), i bet a lot is the same. If i understand your question correctly, you want the Nuvi to avoid interstates and plot the course on side or back roads. This is very easy to do, but please forgive me, my unit is at home so i'm going from memory here.

Select the wrench icon and select Navigation. (If not that option, it is in there somewhere.) Under that option is the selection to use or not use Interstates. However, my unit has a bug. To get the change to be realized, I have to power off the unit and restart it, otherwise it continues to use what was last selected.

The manual can be found at http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=4&subcategory=41&product=010-00621-10 for downloading.

I'm currently using the TomTom Rider. It will route you with a setting "avoiding freeways". My older Garmin also had a similar setting with auto routing preferances set to avoid "highways"

Archived