IGNORED

GPS question

Jking

Long time lurker 1st time poster.

Getting ready to purchase a 2007 R1200RT.

My question is about the BMW supplied Navigator 3 compared to another high end GPS. I know nothing about them. I've watched a video on the Navigator 3 and am impressed. But, I cannot find videos related to other GPS's. Is it worth the extra money for the ease factor or?

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Hi,

I'd get the Zumo,you can get them online for $650-700,whereas a Nav III will set you back at $1000-1200.

Go to Garmins website and look at the details on the Zumo.

JR356

Jking: i have used the Garmin V, Garmin 376C, and now the Garmin Zumo on my RT, and the Zumo is light years ahead of the older Garmins. It's not the XM that distinguishes it; it's the touch screen. With my V I had to pull over to read the screen, because it was so small; with the 376C the screen was great but the buttons were not glove friendly. Zumo works great, although there is still some room for improvement.

I got the Motorrad III as a purchase incentive on my '06 R12RT. I didn't think I needed it at the time, but now am a real fan. I looked at the Zumo page and it does seem to have most of the same features plus a couple more. I'm not sure if the Zumo is battery only, the MIII is wired to the bike, no batteries, or you can take it off and plug into your car or use via home electricity. Of course you can't use it as a hand held, but I like not worrying about battery life. It will also announce upcoming streets etc. into a bluetooth receiver in my helmet. Handy in traffic looking for a freeway exit. It warns you before you get there. In the car the power cable has a speaker. Not sure if Zumo does this, it does say it will work with bluetooth phone set up.

Those are two features that would be important to me to consider, especially if the dealer will consider a little end of year price flexibility. Oh, one thing more, when I bought the bike it was to be a couple of weeks to get the GPS and it turned out to be a couple of months. Apparently they serialize them to your bike.

Aluminum_Butt

FWIW, the BMW Navigator 3 is basically a Garmin 2820, with a motorcycle mount and an expanded cradle with buttons on the left hand side for zoom in/out, enter, and escape.

You can get the 2820 for about $700, then buy the Garmin "motorcycle mount" for about $50, and have the essentially the same functionality less the four special buttons - you have to use the touch screen.

For the 2820 scenario, you'd also have to get some kind of mount - a RAM mount, shelf, Gadget Guy mount, etc. Depending on what you choose, that could run you from $50 to a few hundred. I'm assuming that the BMW kit includes the a mount. However, it would give you the flexibility to mount in your preferred location, whereas the BMW unit mounts on the handlebars - not my preference as I don't like to have to move my eyes that far off the road to look at the GPS.

I got my 2730 (same form factor as 2820) on ridiculous close out, so I never took a hard look at the Zumo. But I can honestly say I don't have any issues operating the touchscreen with my gloves - at least not common stuff like volume, change MP3 songs, etc. I suppose I'd have a bigger issue if I were trying to program in an address, but I don't do that going down the road anyway.

malcolmblalock

Have a StreetPilot 2610, and have used one for the past 4 years on my bike and in the car.

For $200, it's the best bargain out there. Yes, it's been discontinued, but bought as a refurbished unit, has the same warranty as a new one. With a 2GB data card, it holds all North American maps and has all the functionality of the newer units except streetnames being spoken and 3D viewing (both neat but not necessary).

If price is important, it's the best selection. If you want an mp3 player or weather/traffic updates, it's the Zumo.

My 2cents worth...

How handy are you?

The BMW unit will be done and ready to use. No wiring or hassles.

I prefer one of the Garmins own units because I can mount it where I want to. Mine is mounted up above the dash and this makes it way easier to see w/o taking my eyes way off the road.

I have the 276c. Next one would likely be the Zumo, yet one of the big things I like about the 276c is that it has an internal battery so I can take it off the bike to do routes and etc in the hotel or tent.

Mine is wired into the Autocom intercom. NICE.

Have a StreetPilot 2610 [which] has all the functionality of the newer units...

And a few features that the newer ones don't have, as far as I can tell. I was just reading through the manual for the 2820, and it appears that "custom" routing is no longer available. On the 2610, this feature lets you set your preference/avoidance level for highways, major roads, and minor roads. I've discovered some really interesting roads by simply setting it to avoid highways and prefer minor roads on the way to a destination.

The new ones also seem to lack the customizable data tabs on the map screen that the 26xx models have. I have one set to always show speed, plus distance to next turn, distance to destination and arrival time at destination. But I could choose from lots of other bits. In the new models, most of this seems to only be available on the trip computer screen.

That being said, my daughter's c340, which I presume uses the same processor as the Zumo, calculates and re-calculates routes much more quickly than my 2610 (actually a BMW Navigator II).

FWIW, the BMW Navigator 3 is basically a Garmin 2820, with a motorcycle mount and an expanded cradle with buttons on the left hand side for zoom in/out, enter, and escape.

You can get the 2820 for about $700, then buy the Garmin "motorcycle mount" for about $50, and have the essentially the same functionality less the four special buttons - you have to use the touch screen.

For the 2820 scenario, you'd also have to get some kind of mount - a RAM mount, shelf, Gadget Guy mount, etc. Depending on what you choose, that could run you from $50 to a few hundred. I'm assuming that the BMW kit includes the a mount. However, it would give you the flexibility to mount in your preferred location, whereas the BMW unit mounts on the handlebars - not my preference as I don't like to have to move my eyes that far off the road to look at the GPS.

I got my 2730 (same form factor as 2820) on ridiculous close out, so I never took a hard look at the Zumo. But I can honestly say I don't have any issues operating the touchscreen with my gloves - at least not common stuff like volume, change MP3 songs, etc. I suppose I'd have a bigger issue if I were trying to program in an address, but I don't do that going down the road anyway.

100% correct.

I took the 2820 over the Zumo because the 2820 has a few more options.

Here is my 2820 installation for my RT.

http://www.kc6tew.com/modifications/rtmods/garmin2820/garmin2820.html

Note: Seems we live a few miles apart.

Two suggestions:

a) My vote is for the Zumo 550. That's what it's made for.

b) Check for typos in your profile. tongue.gif

And a few features that the newer ones don't have, as far as I can tell. I was just reading through the manual for the 2820, and it appears that "custom" routing is no longer available. On the 2610, this feature lets you set your preference/avoidance level for highways, major roads, and minor roads. I've discovered some really interesting roads by simply setting it to avoid highways and prefer minor roads on the way to a destination.

The new ones also seem to lack the customizable data tabs on the map screen that the 26xx models have. I have one set to always show speed, plus distance to next turn, distance to destination and arrival time at destination. But I could choose from lots of other bits. In the new models, most of this seems to only be available on the trip computer screen.

My Nav III does that stuff.

My Nav III does that stuff.

Interesting to know. BMW does use some customized software in their versions of the Garmin units.

In the 2820 manual, where you choose routing the choices shown are "Fastest Time", "Shortest Distance", or "Off Road" (which is just line of sight). On my Nav II, it's "Fastest Time", "Shortest Distance", and "Custom", and the custom routing is where you set the highway prefs. So which do you get on your Nav III?

Or are you just referring to the tab display options? Also, I wonder if it's different if you've chosen to display 2D maps (like my NavII) or 3D maps.

Archived