IGNORED

Triumph Tiger 1050 ride report (as compared to 12GS)

Miriam

Erik has done about 1500 kilometres on his new Tiger in the last two weeks and he can’t stop humming, he’s just smitten with his white predator. Last Saturday we traded bikes for the first time for about an hour or so, and here’s my impression of it.

First thing I noticed is that it’s not a bike for the inseam challenged, even with the low seat, but it doesn’t have the kind of ground clearance the GS has. It’s for that reason not suited to any real off-roading. It’s more a sport-touring type of bike than an all-road type. It comes with Michelin Pilot Road ‘S’ type tires.

Position on the bike is very good. Slightly forward, but no temptation to put any weight on my arms or hands, which makes the ‘steering’ very light. In fact you just automatically pilot it by changing your weight from one hip onto the other, lean forward a bit, and the Tiger just flies through the curves.

A big plus over the GS is it’s torque. The three cylinder bike leaves the GS pretty much behind at the traffic lights. It’s very fast also in the medium to long range curves, but the GS will outride it in the quick, short ones, because of it’s low CoG it’s just more flickable.

From what I’ve read one of the Tiger’s few minuses is that the standard suspension is not suited for two-up riding. Too weak (I had no problems with the standard setup). Another in my opinion is the wind protection. I felt it a lot more on my chest and arms than I do with the OEM windshield on my GS. Off course I’m not very tall, 5.5.

When we traded our bikes back my GS felt sluggish, as if I had to push it to move. The Tiger is much more responsive, and just wants to go. Not the best thing for me as I was going faster and faster on this bike, also because of the digital speedometer. Somehow ‘81’ doesn’t relay the same message that I get from looking at the whole dial and a needle. But that maybe just me.

To sum it up. I think the Tiger is an amazingly easy and fun bike with a lot of power and mega twisties fun. It’s cheaper than a GS over here, about 3000 euro’s for an ABS model. Other options you’ll most likely want are a center stand, some crash bars, maybe hand guards.

Less, but no drama, are the chain drive, no gear indicator (which the Speed Tripple does have) and off course no telelever so it does dive a bit under breaking. It also rights itself more than the GS does when breaking while leaned over, but not anywhere near as much as Erik’s previous bike, the Yamaha FZ6 Fazer.

I've also had the new Tiger 1050 out for a test ride. I racked up 1,000 km (625 miles) on it on a one day ride. My test Tiger had the optional low saddle, and as the OP said, it's tall. I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, and the Triumph's 'low' saddle is taller than my R1150RT OEM 'comfort saddle' on its lowest setting. An experienced rider will have no problem with the height.

I've heard reports of the Tiger's 'soft' suspension, but when I picked up my demo bike, the dealership's staff had had it set up for track days, so it was set up firm. Surprisingly, it was OK for 'touring', firm, but not harsh. I didn't get bounced off the saddle when hitting any bumps.

The most attractive thing about the Tiger is the torquey and powerful triple cylinder engine. It simply rocks. Top gear roll-ons to pass another vehicle remind me of the passing power of my previous ST1300. The OEM exhaust system also has a healthy growl. (When the dealership staff started up the bike in their service department, I thought the bike had an aftermarket can on it.)

Things I didn't like about the Tiger were niggling details. The font size used for the trip meters is tiny, and very hard to see for middle-aged eyes. Re-setting the trip meters requires pushing two small buttons on the dash simultaneously, so you can't easily do it while on the move.

Otherwise, the Tiger is one sweet bike. Buy in is very good at $14,999 CDN WITH ABS. Comparing the Tiger to the GS regarding MSRP isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, because the Tiger comes with less standard equipment, BUT the buy-in price IS lower if cost is a consideration.

The GS, if you can afford it, is a better all-rounder, but the Tiger is more affordable and a better street (sport) bike, if that's you're priority.

The Tiger also returned exemplary fuel mileage. My tester returned 52-58 miles per Imperial gallon, including three hours cruising at 135-140 kph (80-85 mph) and some aggressive riding in the twisties.

Overall, it's an impressive machine and not only is it less expensive to buy than a GS, but the Tiger's service intervals are double that of the GS.

It's a fine machine to consider if you're in the market for an all-round bike.

FWIW.

Cheers.

the Tiger's service intervals are double that of the GS.

Not in Holland. Both are due each 10K km. I wonder why that would be different in your location?

I've owned 4 Hinckley Triumphs - an 885 triple, a 955 triple, an 865 twin, and a 2300 Triple. All of them have 10,000-km (6,000-mile) service intervals.

Sure, but every other 10K service is nothing more than check cables and fasteners and change the oil. Valves only get checked every 20,000 km, and if my 955 speed triple is anything to go by, aren't likely to need adjusting more than every 40,000 km. That said, worrying about the service intervals on a GS is needless. The bike is so easy and fast to service that it just doesn't matter much. Without bodywork to deal with, and only a single bolt holding on the tank, it just doesn't take long to keep my GS purring.

--sam

wrestleantares

I appreciate your comments. The new Tiger is a model I am considering (12GS also) and it was good to hear your perspective coming from a GS.

You seem to agree with reviews I have read that say this is NOT an all-purpose bike like the previous Tiger.

Haven't had a chance to look myself, but it is sounding like it is not the bike for me.

the Tiger's service intervals are double that of the GS.

Not in Holland. Both are due each 10K km. I wonder why that would be different in your location?

I just double-checked the Canadian-spec 2007 Triumph Tiger owner's manual at the Triumph dealer.

The recommended valve adjustment interval IS 20,000 km (10,000 miles.) I also asked the service writer to check. He pulled up Triumph's online service interval reference page, and yes, it too says 20,000 km (10,000 mile) recommended valve adjustments.

I took digital photos of the owner's manual and of the computer screen, if anybody really cares and wants the image.

I have no idea why Triumph would specify a different valve adjustment schedule for Canada than the rest of the world. I'm guessing the folks who are saying Triumph recommends 10,000 km valve adjustment intervals MAY be referring to the old generation of Triumph 3-cylinder engines.

Anyway, the new Tiger is a terrific bike.

Cheers.

Thanks for the review of the new Tiger, unfortunatley it will be a while before I can think about a different bike [need to pay this one off first bncry.gif]

Truthfully, the new Tiger is probably more attactive to me than my '02 Girlie Model. I don't do any off road riding and the tubless tires are 1st my list.

Go luck with the new steed thumbsup.gif

wHEN tHE final touches of purchasing the '06 Thruxton were coming together...I asked if I might throw my leg on a new 2007 white Tiger 1050 a dealership had.

Very few miles on the tall white cat and the tires weren't even scrubbed in yet - but I took it out and had some romp fun with it just the same.

I Love the triple mill -- and the upright seating was obviously different from my current '06 Sprint ST-ABS...but in a few years I could easily see me on this ride when I'm tired of a forward leaning scoot.

Its go-go-mo-mo was sure a pleasure to peg, and the brakes are stellar.

Even the stock seat seemed okay...who'da'thunk.??

It's got the GS//KRS 1/2 hard bag syndrome - but by the time I'm ready to trade off my Sprint maybe they'll have a low pipe aftermkt and throw some Givi's on it and be done with it.

It was a hoot to finally get on one. It's really quite a fine motorbike with some real HP.

Test drive one and you too might get hooked.

Triumph is swinging at the fence - as of late - and it doesn't seem that they're letting up anytime soon. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifThey've got a fine lineup of two-wheel picks.!!

It's got the GS//KRS 1/2 hard bag syndrome - but by the time I'm ready to trade off my Sprint maybe they'll have a low pipe aftermkt and throw some Givi's on it and be done with it.

I've got a Givi 36 Ltr on the pipe side and the 42 Ltr bag on the other side. They do stick out, but they are water-tight and security isn't an issue.

Lone_RT_rider
maybe they'll have a low pipe aftermkt and throw some Givi's on it and be done with it.

When I was thinking of replacing the R1100S with the 2007 Triumph Tiger, I called the Givi design center in Charlotte and talked the the R&D design guy there. I asked about side cases and he stated "The only thing we are currently slated to provide for the 2007 Tiger is a rack for a top case. No side case brackets are in the works for this bike, and I don't believe there will be". Now things can change with demand. If this bike sells like hotcakes, which it already is.... Givi just might change their minds.

Shawn

maybe they'll have a low pipe aftermkt and throw some Givi's on it and be done with it.

When I was thinking of replacing the R1100S with the 2007 Triumph Tiger, I called the Givi design center in Charlotte and talked the the R&D design guy there. I asked about side cases and he stated "The only thing we are currently slated to provide for the 2007 Tiger is a rack for a top case. No side case brackets are in the works for this bike, and I don't believe there will be". Now things can change with demand. If this bike sells like hotcakes, which it already is.... Givi just might change their minds.

Shawn

I believe SW Motech makes brackets for the 1050 Tiger and you can attach the Givi bags to them.

Here's a site you might want to check out http://www.tiger1050.com/

Archived