IGNORED

Stock RT antenna for Kenwood FreeTalk?

drzep

Trying to save some space so I'd like to use my RT's antenna for my Kenwood FreeTalk if thats even possible. I've got the prep-kit on the RT sans radio. I was thinking that I could just run a lead from the RT antenna to the Kenwood.

Any thoughts on doing this? Thanks in advance folks.

Possible, but probably not a good idea. Here's the condensed version as to why:

The Freetalk antenna is tuned for reception and transmission at certain frequencies. The RT antenna is a broad coverage receive antenna.

One risk you run by doing what you ask is that you could damage the transmission ability of the Freetalk radio.

One option to consider if you want to save space is to relocate the stock Freetalk antenna. Assuming you can disconnect it (which model do you have?), you could place the antenna in one location of the bike - say attached towards the back and run the antenna cable to the radio wherever it's mounted. If I were to go that route, I'd also consider getting a better performing antenna (Google "70cm Mobile Antenna" for ideas).

Possible, but probably not a good idea. Here's the condensed version as to why:

The Freetalk antenna is tuned for reception and transmission at certain frequencies. The RT antenna is a broad coverage receive antenna.

One risk you run by doing what you ask is that you could damage the transmission ability of the Freetalk radio.

One option to consider if you want to save space is to relocate the stock Freetalk antenna. Assuming you can disconnect it (which model do you have?), you could place the antenna in one location of the bike - say attached towards the back and run the antenna cable to the radio wherever it's mounted. If I were to go that route, I'd also consider getting a better performing antenna (Google "70cm Mobile Antenna" for ideas).

The only extra thing you need to know is that just relocating the existing Freetalk antenna isn't fully the right thing to do. That antenna is designed to be attached to the radio body which acts as a ground plane. Without that groundplane you won't get the proper performance from the stock antenna. An OEM is certainly a good way to go but pay attention to the ground requirements/needs for best performance.

The only extra thing you need to know is that just relocating the existing Freetalk antenna isn't fully the right thing to do. That antenna is designed to be attached to the radio body which acts as a ground plane. Without that groundplane you won't get the proper performance from the stock antenna. An OEM is certainly a good way to go but pay attention to the ground requirements/needs for best performance.

Yep. I agree. Some interesting reading in this thread about HAM radio.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, be sure whatever antenna you use is sufficiently higher gain than your stock antenna to make up for the cable and connector losses.

Thanks guys. So it sounds like this may not be the best idea - stock RT antenna is certainly out. Even relocating the OEM Kenwood antenna to a different locale sounds like it's going to reduce performance of the transceiver. I hadn't given much thought to the ground plane because its a pretty small box, but I can see how that may make a difference. Oh well.

Any other ideas are most welcome.

FYI: Stop by your local Ham Radio store (Like Ham Radio Outlet - HRO) and explain what you are trying to do. They can explain in detail why you cannot use the stock attenna (unless you want to burn up your Kenwood).

As others have discussed, they can explain about the ground plane, signal loss and other issues.

Mark

www.national-electronics.com

Call these guys and ask about the FRS blade antenna. I just purchased one for under $30. It's the same antenna that Autocom sells for $75. They will custom make the cable length you need. I mounted mine with velcro along the dash underneath the windshield. You would hardly know it's there.

Tom

Archived