IGNORED

Northern Utah ride check-in thread

bakerzdosen

Well, this morning's N. Utah ride was a rousing success. We decided to forgo the dirt part of Guardsman's pass and just ride to the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon, then take the long way around up I-80 and then 40 to Kamas and up from there.

Regardless, Amy and I made it home. It was good to finally put a face to some of the names.

clap.gif

(I know there were pictures taken, I just don't have any... But yes, it did actually happen, even though Sean didn't show and his voicemail box is full frown.gif )

It was really great to meet you all and oh, I also made it home safely smile.gif.

On the way back I decided to go through Park City and then over Guardsman.

It was true what someone said, the pavement on the PC side was incredibly bumpy and much worse than the dirt road!

Anyway, once I got to the dirt I saw two gigantic bull moose (meese confused.gif ) down in the aspens below the road so I pulled over to watch them lumber around. A guy riding by on a brand new GS 650 also stopped for a while to chat and take pictures of the mooses (mice confused.gif ). He told me that he came up guardsman from the Big Cottonwood side. While he was making the super sharp left turn from the canyon road to the one heading to the pass, a carload of teenagers in an Escalade just about killed him. They were flying down the hill toward the stop sign and when they finally saw him, they locked up the brakes for quite a while. blush.gif Now I thought that an Escalade would have ABS but anyway when I rode down to the stop sign, sure enough there were some pretty long skid marks there. tongue.gif

Well, that's my story for today. Thanks again to Twisties for organizing this ride and thanks to all of you for letting me join you. It was a really great time. clap.gif

I saw two gigantic bull moose

Nice! Bet you caught some killer views too!

While he was making the super sharp left turn

Yeah, that turn is about 135 to 150 degrees, narrow, sharply uphill (10%- 12% grade), with a steep crown, rough pavement and a nasty little washout where the shoulder ought to be.

I thought that was bad enough just from the point of view of negotiating the turn on your own, but never even thought about a vehicle coming down that grade. You are right, it's a blind turn too.

Glad you had a nice trip back. Ours was completely uneventful.

Wonderful time meeting and riding wih you all. Lets do it again!

Only took two pics before my battery ran down...good planning frown.gif

Somebody please correct me as I'm getting old and senile, but I believe, from the left we have (hope i'm not violating any forum or privacy issues by putting names to faces):

Bullet, Twisties, Hopz and Hopz's wife

IMG_0336.jpg

Bakerzdosen, Utard

IMG_0337.jpg

Also on the ride, but didn't get pics before the battery died were Fugu and wife, Bakerzdosen's SO. Also not shown is myself, gilx, as I'm behind the camera wave.gif If I missed anyone please forgive me. I believe there were a couple of other pics taken, hopefully they can be posted as well.

Hopz and Susie here. Sorry we had to leave the luncheon repast quickly to get home for some urgent business. I really enjoyed meeting you all and putting some faces to the names. My few (two) pictures will be posted as soon as Snapfish begins to work again.

Thanks again for a great day.

Bob and Susie

More pictures! More Pictures!

Sorry I missed this and when it the next one?

Did Matt and Amy actually make it there by the 9:00am start? The stars must have been aligned just right for that to happen dopeslap.gif. thumbsup.gif

Later,

More pictures! More Pictures!

Sorry I missed this and when it the next one?

Did Matt and Amy actually make it there by the 9:00am start? The stars must have been aligned just right for that to happen dopeslap.gif. thumbsup.gif

Later,

Ask and you shall receive (but only because Hopz asked me to post these and because they have free internet in the Tampa airport - they're not mine, but they're on my server now.)

NorUtahGang1.jpg

NorUtahGang2.jpg

NorUtahGang3.jpg

And no, Matt and Amy did NOT make it at 9:00am exactly, BUT, we were there at 9:05 before the Layton contingent and we were at the stop light next to the 7-11 with Twisties and Bullett directly behind us. HA! SO THERE! I knew these people were true soul-mates. tongue.gif

As to the next one, I'm thinking of putting up a poll for that one. To be a Fall colors ride, it'll probably have to be before Torrey.

Archived