IGNORED

Hi all....

catneck

I have been wandering around this site for many months, and am contemplating buying a BMW. I met some of you all at an A & S first aid class last summer. A little background, I am 42, and have had a class M certificate since age 16. Had a few riding years off when the kids were babies in the late 80's, but have had a street bike of 1 kind or another the entire time. I have had a succession of Japanese singles, twins and 4s. And a Sportster for a very short time. Safety class years ago too. Mostly highway commuting, and some touring-most of it lately has been 2-up. The motorcycle is my primary transportation, my truck is on a trickle charger. The wife also has her own bike, but sometimes would rather hop on the back of mine.

I currently ride about 600 miles a week on my DL650. It has a Throttlemeister, Givi-type bags, gel seat, and heated grips. Great bike, just have the itch to get a little more wind protection (less buffeting). And I really want to do away with chain maintenance. I do not travel off road anymore, so touring/sport touring is the way for me. I do not scrape pegs, but am not the slowest in a group either. I think I want electronic cruise control and a heated seat.

I visited A & S last week, and really like the next generation K1200GT. But Oh My the price. $24k is not going to happen.

So I am now deciding between the first generation KGT or an RT. I have always liked the look and feel of the RTP.

Boxer pros: 1) RTP cool. 2) Easier maintenance (I do all my own work save tire mounting). 2) Absolutely perfect riding position.

Boxer cons: 1) Old tech (and this from a guy who rode a couple of KLRs for 70,000 miles).

K1200 pros: 1) Flashy. 2) sophisticated-electronic cruise, and heated seats-winter is cold here in Southern Oregon. 3) Killer styling. 3) That grey green color is stunning. I always buy black bikes, but that color works for me.

K1200 cons: 1) Dunno how the old brick will hold up, might always wish for the new model. 2) The first gen small saddlebags and limited fuel range.

So, I am thinking now that starting with an RTP and add the cruise (if possible) to start off cheap? Then re-evaluate in a year or 2, maybe pickup a used next Gen K1200GT?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

Boxer pros: 1) RTP cool. 2) Easier maintenance (I do all my own work save tire mounting). 2) Absolutely perfect riding position.

Boxer cons: 1) Old tech (and this from a guy who rode a couple of KLRs for 70,000 miles).

Your "Boxer con" seems like a "pro" to me. Especially for someone who does his own wrenching. I'd call it "proven" not "old".

I ride an '04 RT 1150 ... as I understand it, the RPT has the advantage of a oil cooler fan and an extra battery ... but it loses it's glovebox and passenger seating. Two Up?

The K1200GT and it's predecessors are very pretty bikes but the ergos are way wrong for me -

Motorcop4125

You can buy a radio box/rear seat conversion for the RTP. It's a slightly stouter motor with larger alternator and such for long idle periods. It's also more expensive than a comperable RT. I almost bought a brand new RTP but after riding a slightly used (and much cheaper) RT, I went with the RT. If you want the RTP look, the parts are all available aftermarket. Good luck!

"How the K will hold up" lmao.gif

I've got an '03 w/55,000, friend w/'03 and over 90,000,

several other friends w/between 85,000 and 110,000,

dealer has a K100 w/over 300,000, etc...

both engines can haul you around for a long time.

Some models of the Boxers are more prone to Hall Sensor failures than others. Some K's have seals that leak (obvious to spot).

You can wrench on both of them.

Valves on K's seem to stay put longer than on the Boxer.

Oil changes easier on the Boxer.

Range favors the Boxer, speed and smooothness favor the K.

Ergos depend on your build.

The R 1100 and 1150 RT don't fit me. My shins wack the fairing putting my feet down. The RS and RSL work for me.

The K can be a long reach for some, and leg room is different. But there are kits for both bikes to change the ergos.

Cruise control. Well, if'n you don't go new, or an R 1200 C variant, cruise means K bike.

A first generation K GT can be found for reasonable $$$ and have all the amenities you want, and then some.

Plus, the 840 watt power is great when there are two of you with heated jacket liners, heated gloves, heated seats, GPS, Cruise, Sat radio, Motolights, and PIAA's all running.

Try that with another bike. tongue.gif

Check your wallet, set a price range, look around.

There are many out there looking for a new home.

Best wishes. wave.gif

2) sophisticated-electronic cruise, and heated seats-winter is cold here in Southern Oregon

A new RT with cruise and heated seats is about $18,000 plus whatever taxes you have there. Also, you could get a used 2005 or after RT with those options for quite a bit less than that.

I haven't been on the older versions of each, but the ergos on the current versions are quite different. I can't ride the KGT.

The boxer got a major update in 2005. Calling it old technology is like calling an in line 4 old technology.... I can't tell all that's done differently now but the results are greater fuel economy, lower weight (on the bike as a whole), more power and torque. No, it's not that sporty K bike, and it's not supposed to be. They are different creatures for different folk (well I'm sure some own both). Try them all out before you decide what's right for you.

OK, I think I have a plan. I think I like the simple and easier to maintain boxer, but the rides will prove this out. I will be test riding a 2000 R1100RT-P, a 2003 R1150RT civilian, a 2005 R1200RT, and a 2003 K1200GT this week if all goes as planned. Looking forward to a fun decision. Thanks all.

Well the RT-P is still my first choice (bargain price, additional features, and unique), even though 2 dealers have stated they will no longer resell them do to maintenance issues/complaints from previous sales. I will ride them all and decide.

Well,

The RT-P had been sold, the KGT was unavailable. I sat on a a 2004 K1200RS today. I had ridden one of these in the past. Nice ergos, but a little tight for me. This one did not have the cruise or electric windshield. But it sure has a he**uva motor. And the new generation has more hp? Just what I do not need. But, oh my can you get from point a to point b in a rush. The bag on the left side was even smaller than it looks in pictures.

A near new R1200RT was there, but I just cannot get past the looks. And I am looking to stay on budget.

Next up was a 2002 R1150RT. Dealer spent some time with me showing me the boxer ropes. Keep it above 3500rpm for max engine braking on decel and to avoid the vibes. OK. sawing a leg over, (which is impossible on my tall V-Strom), And the side stand return spring broke off (and it was hard for me to find it while on the bike already). Saw the enrichment lever (did not know F.I. needed this-my 04 Suzuki just starts right up any weather without any adjustment needed.) Oh well, "BMW personality" takes a little getting used to.

Then he showed me the fog lights (nicely integrated), windshield switch, flash to pass, clock, fuel and temp bar gauges, gear indicator, headlight aim adjustment, etc. Nice-almost like a nice car on the dash (although the sunlight made it hard to read the lights at times). And I am almost already used to the switchgear, having ridden a F800ST last weekend.

Start it up, and right then I fell in love with the boxer. It had a Remus exhaust-absolutely beautiful noise. Idle was set about 1000 rpm, so the lope was there too. This bike also had a techlusion (I think that is for EFI reprogramming, right?), that I noticed when I removed the seat for height adjustment-great idea BTW. And did I mention the sound? Test ride starts, and I stall the bike leaving the dealer. Getting used to the end of the lever engagement I guess. Then away we went-following the salesman of course. And the bike just fits. Mirrors are integrated into the fairing and perfect, seat is comfy, and the bike feels light. Initial turn in is heavy, then she just moves with body english through the turn. In motion it feels balanced. I am amazed that such a bulky looking bike handles so well. And acceleration is right there too. 20 minutes of mixed city and freeway ride ends too soon. If only the bike was black or green, I would own it right now.

BTW, I wanted to know if the bike is much different than the 1100. I have an opportunity to pick one up for a good deal. I am a little hesitant about it being only a 5 speed.

Thanks all, I am hooked.

Chris

Chris,

I had an 1100RT and had many fewer problems with it than some 1150s I have known. The five speed is better IMO for city driving because you can stretch the gear out more for working with slow traffic and not having to shift as much, etc.

I did however, sell my RT and get a VSTROM 650 just because the power to weight was about the same. I did miss the weather protection of the RT (until summer) and I always liked the mirrors and adjustable windshield. But, the one thing I always thought impeded my RT was the fact that it's 206 lbs heavier than the wee strom.

But, being up in the colder climes, I can see where having the weather protection is more important. If you're riding it alone, go for the RT-P and use the radio box as a cool trunk to haul your lunchbox and briefcase to work. Otherwise, I'd go for a used 12RT. The looks will grow on you (remember the wee strom was weird looking at first too!) and the features/power of them is pretty substantial for the $$

Vas is das "height adjustment?"

The RT (perhaps other models, too) allow you to adjust the seat height to one of three positions. There's a lever under the rider's seat that locks in at various heights.

Well,

I rode a R1150RT, a R1200RT, a K1200GT, and a R1100RT today.

I liked the 1150, felt right, miles were a little high but had an extended warranty with it. Then the 1200-I figured what the heck, it doesn't cost anything to ride it, right? Mounted up. First off I could not get my legs comfortable on the bike. I felt a bump out on the inside of my shins. I think this is the air intake tube. Hated it, could not get used to the dang thing. Then I noticed the mirrors only were good for about 75% rear/25% elbow. the 1100/1150s are perfect for me. The dash and gadgets are great, real car like, but just not for me. Then rode the KGT. Checked out the esa, bc, heated seats, cruise, etc (same as the low mile r1200). Then went for a ride . Holy sh## what a motor. Whole 'nother world than a boxer. Ergos surprisingly good, mirrors too. Just does not do it for me. And I would be going way too fast on this beast all the time. Then the mechanic wheeled out a mid mile 1100. It was in my sight over the salesman's shoulder as he was talking about the K bike. I could not keep my eyes off of that bike, and the test ride sealed it. I was worried about only 5 speeds, but at 80 mph it was at 4200 rpm and no vibes. Seller made me a great deal, I will be dragging the wife to go see it tomorrow-hey I need a ride, right. clap.gif

Archived