IGNORED

Had to ride 2 miles on a very soft/flat tire (w/inner tube)...Replace?

ChrisNYC

I had a fast sudden leak on the rear tire on my KZ400 the other night. I had to ride 2 miles or so to get air into it. I rode it only about 15 mph (not hard in NYC), just fast enough to keep it from squirming around. I took one turn about 10mph and felt it really getting squirrely, like the tube and wheel wanted to come off the (spoked) rim ...

Without having taken things apart, I'm pretty sure the tube is going to need replacing. What about the tire? It's a Metzler ME55a Metronic 120/90-18, probably 4 years old, but looks practically new (tread-wise). Does riding a tire with very low/no pressure wreck the sidewalls?

I'll spend the money if I have to, but right now a $25 inner tube beats a $25tube/$150 tire ....

Also, (if I do the work myself) .. I've never mounted an inner-tubed tire ... what do I need to know (that's different from mounting tube-less tires on alloy rims?)

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

i doubt you damaged the side wall of the tire after driving only 2 miles at 15mph but anything is possible. after you change the inner tube i would inspect the side walls very closely for any cracking or obvious signs of damage. with that said 4 years can be old for a tire and while the tread may look good the tire may actually be a lot older than 4 years. in this particular case due to the age of the tire it may just be a good idea to buy a new one. your life and health are worth much more than the cost of a tire and inner tube.

Paul Mihalka

Mount a tubed tire: I liked (note past-tense) to have a little air in the tube. It's less likely to get pinched. The most important is that when you start mounting the tire with the tube in it, you start opposite from the tire valve and end at the valve. To get the tire on, it has to slip to the center channel of the rim and it can't do that at the valve.

I have not ridden bikes with tubed tires since about 1982, and I don't want to dopeslap.gif

wellcraft said in this particular case due to the age of the tire it may just be a good idea to buy a new one. your life and health are worth much more than the cost of a tire and inner tube

Thanks Dave. I haven't even had a chance to look at the tire in the light of day, to be safe I just ordered a new tube and tire and rim strip ...

Paul said Mount a tubed tire: ....

Thanks Paul ... I'm sure it'll be an adventure! dopeslap.gif

I have not ridden bikes with tubed tires since about 1982, and I don't want to

Sometimes I think about replacing the KZ with a newer Bergman or some such scooter, but given how frequently the parked KZ is knocked over on the street by idiot cagers parking their cars "by feel", I'd rather not "upgrade" my city-bike tongue.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Archived