IGNORED

Sturgis 2007 BMW Demo Rides!

Davitt_Potter

Davitt_Potter

During the Sturgis Rally, BMW is here in Sturgis to do demo rides! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The demo loop is 36 miles; leaving from Sturgis and taking 10 miles of I-90 to Whitewood, then a nice 16-mile loop of service roads with some nice twisties, uneven pavement, and some good opportunities to really get a feel for the bike. Then it's the Interstate back home again.

I wanted the K1200GT, but was told "not a chance in hell unless you're here at 7am and get signed up." So I'll go tomorrow and get signed up!

I did ride two bikes: The K1200R Sport and the K1200S. The group stopped at the 1/2way mark, and swapped around. I offered $20 for the chance at the K1200GT, but was turned down immediately. smile.gif Guess it's popular.

The first bike I rode was the K1200R Sport in blue & silver. Very striking motorcycle. I don't know if I'd call it 'pretty', but it has a very purpose-built look to it. Switchgear was just like my old R1150RT, but with the added "INFO" and "ESA" buttons.

K1200R Sport impressions: Great motor; great handling, great brakes. Ergos were a bit folded-up, but that's the genre of the bike. Plus, I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. And a bit of extra padding. smile.gif

The windscreen didn't suit me at all. The blast coming off came up under my helmet and felt like it was trying to pull my head off above 65mph. At 80mph, the wind was pushing my visor into the tip of my nose.

Brakes are very touchy, and require some definite adjustment (mind you, I'm used to a Harley Ultra now). Very progressive, but a light touch is required! The ABS is non-intrusive and while you do feel it when it intercedes, it's only a reminder.

ESA. Ah, ESA. I was skeptical about it being a gadget. I'm a believer now! Comfort made the interstate bumps and joins into mere movements of the motorcycle. You knew a bump was there, but it was muted and very ... well, comfortable. smile.gif

Normal: The road becomes more present through the bars and seat, and you definitely feel that the bike is more responsive.

Sport: Very firm, and very very tight. Each road surface is telegraphed instantly to your hands and butt, and there's no doubting on where the bike is for it's suspension.

VERY COOL! Me likey very much.

At the halfway point, we stopped and swapped bikes. I ended up on a black K1200S. My first thought was "uh oh, full sportbike". Control layout was identical to the R Sport.

What a surprise. The motor is identical in feel (yeah, it's rated like 4hp higher, but over 150hp, can you feel it??!), but the bike itself was a joy. Ergos, while quite sporting, didn't totally kill me like an R1 or a CBR1000RR does. The pegs are down and back a touch, and makes for a more relaxed feel. The windshield and airflow was PERFECT for me - just the right amount of flow to keep fresh air coming through the helmet vents.

Power. Oh my God, power. On the R Sport, I didn't open it because my head was coming off. The K1200S quickly became my new best friend. The motor doesn't have that sportbike "hit" that I was expecting. That's not a throttle, it's a rheostat! smile.gif Smooth, predictable power delivery.

The twisty part was while I was board the K1200S, and it was wonderful. After switching ESA to Normal, we got to play in some corners. I held back a bit to let the others lead out a ways, then zipped through the curves.

Smooth. I'm sensing a refrain here. Easy throttle roll on, pick the line, and just .... next corner! No drama, none of the 'I'M A HYPERBIKE TAMED FOR THE STREET' feel that you get from some (*cough*ZX10*cough*) sportbikes.

Tracking over broken pavement, patched pavement, and tar snakes, the K1200S just didn't seem to care. Granted, I'm no racer, but it was nice to have the confidence. My Ultra moves around more on tar snakes at 45mph in a corner than the K1200S did at ... well, faster than that.

eek.gif

Which brings me to the problems with the K1200S.

167hp. Holy crap. blush.gif

It's SO easy to go fast on this bike, that at legal speeds, you're barely touching the bike's powerband.

Rear panniers & a tank bag would make this a very very strong 2nd runner for me to the K12GT (pending Friday's ride, of course).

Why are these problems? Because I really really liked it. ;) I've regretted selling my R1150RT since almost the day after I did it, and have a real attraction to BMW motorcycles. They seem a "packaged" bike, rather than a motor & suspension that most mortals will not experience the limits of. While the K1200S has a SUPERB motor, it didn't make me feel like I was "posing" - instead, I was having fun. Pure enjoyment for the sake of riding.

Plus, I won't lie - I liked my R1150RT quite a lot, but I LOVE the sound of an inline four being wrung out in anger. It makes all my hair stand on end, and just ... whoo! smile.gif

Anyway. There you have it; I'll post impressions of the K1200GT and other bikes that I ride tomorrow if you folks would like!!

Archived