IGNORED

Why I still haven't dropped my RT......

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

These past 3 weeks I have had numerous 'near misses'.

- I parked on gravel numerous times, and slipped when 'walking it out' a few times.

- I put my foot down on a white line, and slipped.

- Nina was stiff after a long ride and hung on to me unexpectedly when dismounting, almost pulling us down.

- The stuff at the petrol station was diesel... and I slipped on that.

- I parked the loaded bike on a slight downward slope, nose first.... and couldn't get it out on my own.

- I put it on the sidestand with full load, and it nearly keeled over to the other side.

- I almost stalled it in a steep upward hairpin and put my foot down... luckily without breaking anything.... just got on the power in time.

- Stopped at the side of a road and put my right foot down in ..... nothing. The road shoulder wasn't there on the steep slope.

- Had to grab the brakes in a turn when an oncoming tourist forgot to stick to his side of the road..... we almost tipped.

- Stalled the engine in front of 3 'gendarmes' after a steep uphill stop (red light).

- Rode a few miles on a 'GS road' after taking a wrong turn, and couldn't turn around. (Actually, I found it fun, Nina didn't).

- Got a scare when crossing the middle of the road in a bend..... and there was a deep and long rut where the white line was supposed to be. I thought it was a tar snake. Not.

- Maneuvered over a myriad of tar snakes in the mountains and tried to keep it as upright as possible.

And yes, I WAS prepared (and looking out for) most of these things. They still happened.

So why didn't I/we go down?

Long legs, muscle strength, determination. In other words: supreme 'control' .........

eerrrmmm... would you believe sheer LUCK !?? smirk.gif

Stopped at the side of a road and put my right foot down in ..... nothing. The road shoulder wasn't there on the steep slope
I hate that feeling.

All good reminders of the "gotcha's" that'll get ya.

These past 3 weeks I have had numerous 'near misses'.

- I parked on gravel numerous times, and slipped when 'walking it out' a few times.

- I put my foot down on a white line, and slipped.

- Nina was stiff after a long ride and hung on to me unexpectedly when dismounting, almost pulling us down.

- The stuff at the petrol station was diesel... and I slipped on that.

- I parked the loaded bike on a slight downward slope, nose first.... and couldn't get it out on my own.

- I put it on the sidestand with full load, and it nearly keeled over to the other side.

- I almost stalled it in a steep upward hairpin and put my foot down... luckily without breaking anything.... just got on the power in time.

- Stopped at the side of a road and put my right foot down in ..... nothing. The road shoulder wasn't there on the steep slope.

- Had to grab the brakes in a turn when an oncoming tourist forgot to stick to his side of the road..... we almost tipped.

- Stalled the engine in front of 3 'gendarmes' after a steep uphill stop (red light).

- Rode a few miles on a 'GS road' after taking a wrong turn, and couldn't turn around. (Actually, I found it fun, Nina didn't).

- Got a scare when crossing the middle of the road in a bend..... and there was a deep and long rut where the white line was supposed to be. I thought it was a tar snake. Not.

- Maneuvered over a myriad of tar snakes in the mountains and tried to keep it as upright as possible.

And yes, I WAS prepared (and looking out for) most of these things. They still happened.

So why didn't I/we go down?

Long legs, muscle strength, determination. In other words: supreme 'control' .........

eerrrmmm... would you believe sheer LUCK !?? smirk.gif

Francois, you might want to invest in some good cylinder head guards.. It sounds like one of these trips you will drop it multiple times just to even the mean average out..

Twisty

Francois_Dumas
Why not gently lay the bike down and get it over with grin.gif

Steve

I tend to be VERY stubborn....... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Why not gently lay the bike down and get it over with grin.gif

Steve

That’s a good thought Steve maybe appeasing the tip-over Gods with a gentle lay down will chase those little Gremlins off for a while yet..

Twisty

Tell the truth, Francois...You tried to photoshop this out of one of your pics but I saw it anyway!

trailgator-flipflop-training-wheels.jpg

(actually, Luck is probably right).

Mike O

I've only dropped mine once, but with very short legs, it would have been down in at least half of the situations you listed. Some people assert that short riders are cautious about getting themselves into such situations because they know they would be in trouble. I am envious!

Archived