IGNORED

Oil

dewtwo

Les is more

Do you actually have a question about oil or are you just purposely poking the bear. The first is welcome. The second, not so much.

As a N00b, explain to me all this crap about oil? Is this the kiss of death confused.gif

I'm for it..!

It's the only thing I've ever used in all of my internal combustion engines and so far has kept them lubricated extremely well. thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen

I think that lawman has found the only thing that everyone here will agree upon as far as oil goes.

I personally think it comes from dinosaurs, but others don't. So that's just my opinion.

As a N00b, explain to me all this crap about oil? Is this the kiss of death confused.gif

Dianne,

OIL!!!

Basically you need it!

If you don’t have it find some & add it!

After it’s been in there a while & you get tired of looking at it, change it!

It’s a pretty simple 3 stage process..

Twisty

1. Make sure you use 1st pressing.

2. Add a bit of salt and fresh cracked pepper.

3. Get some nice, crusty Italian pannella bread.

4. Tear off a hunk, dip and enjoy.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Hey, where's the balsamic vinegar? confused.gif

Do you actually have a question about oil or are you just purposely poking the bear. The first is welcome. The second, not so much.

I'd bet money Matt put her up to it. grin.gif

lurker.gif

lurker.gif

agree and you can thank matt for getting you in trouble right from the start. hasn't been a good week for oil threads! confused.gif

lurker.gif

I was really trying to explain how these things start civil wars and fatwas between opposing camps.

Yikes, and I thought I was the only one having a rough week.

Deep breathes all.

Mods, I'd lock this down before it goes ever further.....

<oommmmmmmmmmmmm>

wave.gif

You forgot adding a high quality basalmic vinegar to the oil mix....

....Yum...... thumbsup.gif

Another Phil..........Redbrick

bakerzdosen

OK, serious response here.

Some people like synthetic saying their engine is better protected while using it. Some don't like it (saying it causes leaks or exacerbates existing leaks), some say it's not worth the money. Most will agree that you shouldn't mix synthetic and dino oil, but that's just "most."

Many swear by BMW brand oil (saying "if you've spent $15k+ on your bike, an additional $12 or so every 6000 miles is worth it") while others just make sure that the oil meets the specs listed in the manual. (BMW oil is apparently a re-branded oil and isn't usually available outside the USA.) Others just use something they've had good experience with like Syntec. Others like more "exotic" brands such as Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Red Line. I've never seen anyone on this board recommend Repsol, so if you happen to be that one person who has had good success with Repsol in a BMW, feel free to chime in here. Rotella is popular because it's cheap and is made for diesel engines, giving it qualities that are desirable for motorcycle use. Others like whatever is cheapest at Wal-mart that has the word "motorcycle" on the front somewhere. Some point out that typical motorcycle oil isn't needed for a Boxer engine because it uses a dry clutch, so the extra "additives" in typical automobile oil don't harm the clutch like they would with a wet clutch.

Some like to change their oil every 3000 miles. The manual on Hexheads states that you should change it every 6000 miles, and many people here agree with what BMW states.

Some think that you need to have the oil level in the sight glass at exactly 1/4 from the top when on the centerstand after letting the oil drain from the oil cooler while on the side-stand for 5-10 minutes while cooling down from operating temperature. Others say that if you can see oil in the sightglass, you're good to go.

I'm sure someone's cousin's dog's best friend's neighbor had a BMW that failed on them from an oil related engine malfunction. Beyond that, you just don't see oil related problems if you follow the manual.

I think the only things that everyone agrees upon are thus:

• Engine's need oil to run properly with any sort of longevity.
  • Engine oil traps particulates that can damage your engine, so oil should be replaced from time to time.
  • The oil filter should be changed too - typically at the same time as the oil.
  • If a motorcycle still runs, that's a good thing.
  • There are many different opinions on this board regarding oil.
  • If you search for "oil" on this board, you will find many different threads that don't ever end with everyone agreeing.

OK, what did I miss?

Oh, and that should leave you with no definite answers... because there are none.

Very good. bakerzdosen,

Your serious response covers most of the contentious issues, e.g., dino vs synthetic, bmw-branded vs oil company, oil change intervals, oil checking rituals and the fact there's considerable deviance in all of these issues.

All I can add is American Idle free forever too.

Wooster w/o shortage of young celebrities

Balsamic vinegar I understand; oil not so much. All I know is right now it is hot and hatti here, and I couldn't tell you what is in the engine since I just bought it.

Balsamic vinegar I understand; oil not so much. All I know is right now it is hot and hatti here, and I couldn't tell you what is in the engine since I just bought it.

Good idea to change all the fluids, unless evidence that it has been done recently. Then you start from a known baseline for maintenance.

Mileage, service records?

Color of oil?

Calvin can look at it and tell you how old it is.

If he can smell it he'll tell you what brand.

If he can taste it, he'll tell you what vendor it came from. thumbsup.gif

Matt made me do it, I swear. wave.gif

I got your number now!

Luckily, I got the bike from a local club member, so I can find out the maintenance records. In my excitement to learn to ride, I forgot to get all these records. The cool thing is I am the 3 woman to learn to ride on this bike.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is my preferred oil. Oh sure, sometimes I'll cook with the 'regular' olive oil, and I've even been known to through lowly vegetable oil in the water while cooking pasta so it doesn't stick. But for a good salad dressing or bread dipping? Extra Virgin baby all the way! thumbsup.gif

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is my preferred oil. Oh sure, sometimes I'll cook with the 'regular' olive oil, and I've even been known to through lowly vegetable oil in the water while cooking pasta so it doesn't stick. But for a good salad dressing or bread dipping? Extra Virgin baby all the way! thumbsup.gif

Now remember there are many different types / grades of oil. Not to mention where your oil is coming from. You can't just dip bread into any old oil you get at the grocery store. That junk might be good enough to cook with, but if you are eating it plain, then you better upgrade!

I have a few questions about oil too

Is the extra virgin a higher or lower viscosity than virgin

Is it made from tree olives or synthetic olives.

Does OEM require extra virgin or will virgin be OK.

Is expeller pressed adequate or should you use solvent extraced oil?

Is it made from green or black olives?

Oil threads always bring up more questions

Now remember there are many different types / grades of oil. Not to mention where your oil is coming from. You can't just dip bread into any old oil you get at the grocery store. That junk might be good enough to cook with, but if you are eating it plain, then you better upgrade!

Why, I DO believe we have an 'oil snob' in our midst! Hehehehehe.

FWIW - one of the food channels did a blind taste test of several olive oils and one of the brands that did the best was plain old extra virgin Da Vinci!! A grocery-store brand to be sure. Go figure. eek.gif

Is the extra virgin a higher or lower viscosity than virgin

Is it made from tree olives or synthetic olives.

I know that virgin wool comes from ugly sheep, so I'm guessing there's something similar going on w/ olive oil. It's the only acceptable culinary use for olives, by the way.

It's the only acceptable culinary use for olives, by the way.

Nonsense. I've drowned MANY an olive in Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire gins and can attest to their usefullness in said situations. cool.gif

Nonsense. I've drowned MANY an olive in Beefeater

You have put in print that you like Beefeater and you dare question me? (My father drinks Beefeater...)

I much prefer a couple pickled garlic cloves or even cocktail onions to olives in a martooni, but will stipulate that I like dirty martinis (I just don't eat the olive- it's the brine that is good).

Philistine.... eek.gif

You mean you spoil a perfectly good spirit with some bloody FRUIT eek.gif That's akin to putting GTX automobile oil in your BMW motorcycle wink.gifgrin.gif

lurker.giflurker.gif

(bet you thought I was trying to hijack the thread didn't you lmao.gif)

Philistine...

At least I'm not a piker. Not that some bongo drum toting Gauloise smoker calling me a philistine would bother me...

Wait, what the hell are we talking about again, Martinis? Those are drinks for Nancy boys anyhow.

Knob Creek on the rocks for me. No fruit. No umbrella. No stirring or shaking. 1) Ice in glass 2) Bourbon in glass to cover ice 3) drink.

Maybe a shot of bitters.

Knob Creek on the rocks for me. No fruit. No umbrella. No stirring or shaking. 1) Ice in glass 2) Bourbon in glass to cover ice 3) drink.

Maybe a shot of bitters.

Elijah Craig 12 year for me, staight, right from the flask.

It's the only acceptable culinary use for olives, by the way.

I beg to differ: you can't make Puttanesca Sauce without some fine Kalamata olives.

Philistine...

At least I'm not a piker. Not that some bongo drum toting Gauloise smoker calling me a philistine would bother me...

Wait, what the hell are we talking about again, Martinis? Those are drinks for Nancy boys anyhow.

Maybe a shot of bitters.

Makers Mark & Soda for me ... although I have been known to drink a fru-fru martini on occasion. smirk.gif

Nonsense. I've drowned MANY an olive in Beefeater

You have put in print that you like Beefeater and you dare question me? (My father drinks Beefeater...)

I much prefer a couple pickled garlic cloves or even cocktail onions to olives in a martooni, but will stipulate that I like dirty martinis (I just don't eat the olive- it's the brine that is good).

Geez, first an oil snob, and now a GIN snob!! grin.giflmao.gif

I like both - what can I say? I 'grew up' on Beefeater. And a martini isn't a nancyboy drink, unless you ruin it by using Tanqueray. wink.gif

Never caught the bourbon fever. I like a decent blend - Crown, VO Gold. And never, EVER with anything but ice. Don't want to bruise it y'know. eek.gif

I too, have been known to 'tip' the flask. HEheheheheheh.

As for dirty martinis? thumbsup.gif

Tequila! I used to do shots, but then my (OOPS, don't want to get in trouble for telling stories blush.gif). Now it is just wine and beer for me; at least I have not had any embarrassing stories in a while.

Now that you have all the answers that you were looking for, you will also know that these board members have a great sense of humor, like to express it and have the time to do so.

I picked up some good info on olive oil.

Ride safely

Dietrich

Maybe a shot of bitters.

See, there you go again...adulterating a perfectly good drink with water and miscellaneous plant materials!!!...Jeez eek.gif

That's akin to putting STP in your darn oil lurker.gif

(see, and you thought I was going to hijack the thread didn't you lmao.gif)

My Dad always ran Aero Shell (don't know the weight) in his airhead boxer engines. My brother liked to use Castrol GTX, but he rode a K bike.

Archived