IGNORED

As long as we're talking speeders...

gottabmw

"Oregon troopers are seeing speeds of 100 mph and higher more often because of the increased production of cars that can reach the triple digits, Withers said. Some stock motorcycles can go 210 mph without any alteration, said Lt. Mike Bloom at the state police Springfield office."

Nice. Subtle hints, equally balanced tones of nanny state...big brother knows best; it's not the driver but the eeevil manufacturers. Vehicles should be made slower....for the children.... eek.gif

well said... I hope the cop that tackled him administered a little "nightstick justice" before back up got there.

"Oregon troopers are seeing speeds of 100 mph and higher more often because of the increased production of cars that can reach the triple digits, Withers said. Some stock motorcycles can go 210 mph without any alteration, said Lt. Mike Bloom at the state police Springfield office."

Not that I'm in any way condoning the perp's conduct, but these statements are total BS. Nearly every production car made in the past 40 years has been capable of triple digit speeds. And which stock motorcycles can do 210?

If there's been any change with regard to high-speed capabilities, it is that cars and motorcycles manufactured today are much safer to drive at high speeds than their bias-ply-tired, drum brake, leaf spring predecessors. In my (warped?) view, the increased capabilities actually argue strongly for increased speed limits.

Still, it's pretty darned cool that the trooper TACKLED the dumbass on the motorcycle. thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen
Not that I'm in any way condoning the perp's conduct, but these statements are total BS. Nearly every production car made in the past 40 years has been capable of triple digit speeds. And which stock motorcycles can do 210?
A pre-2001 Hayabusa can certainly come close. However, the current one is limited to 186 or whatever manufacturers decided to limit them to in some joint agreement. However, the bike was produced initially without those limitations. So early 'busa's could indeed clear 200mph. (According to it's done through ECU mapping in 5th gear.)

Warped, enlightened... tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to...

Some stock motorcycles can go 210 mph without any alteration, said Lt. Mike Bloom at the state police Springfield office.

Hardly, the only ones that might come close are the ZX-14 and the Hyabusa. None the less, if tales like this kept getting repeated, there'll be wailing of tears and nashing of teeth (Tooth if you live in Rio Linda) and cries to limit horsepower on motorcycles.

Oh did I mention the Bugatti Veyron?

dopeslap.gif

"A toggle switch on the handlebars of the 2005 Yamaha R6 allowed Ungureanu to flip the license plate under the rear fender and out of sight..."

"My name is Bond.... James Bond." cool.gif

What... none of you have ever wanted something like that? I know we've all wanted the machine guns and rocket launchers for idjit cage drivers, but this guy is a piece of work!

A pre-2001 Hayabusa can certainly come close. However, the current one is limited to 186 or whatever manufacturers decided to limit them to in some joint agreement. However, the bike was produced initially without those limitations. So early 'busa's could indeed clear 200mph. (According to it's done through ECU mapping in 5th gear.)

I haven't really done much research on this, but most of the tests of the non-limited Hayabusas put the top speed in the range of 191 to 192 m.p.h. One UK magazine tested it at 196, but I don't know if that was a two-way run or corrected for windspeed. Now, that is hellaciously fast, but it it's far from the 210 mph that the state police spokesman said "some motorcycles can go . . . without alteration."

According to this motorcycle top speed calculator, it takes 156.8 rwhp to push a Hayabusa through the air at 191 mph (this is very close to the dyno tests I've seen of the stock bike) and 208.3 rwhp to gain the additional 19 mph needed to achieve a top speed of 210 mph. That's almost 33% more rear wheel horsepower and it just hasn't happened yet, at least not on any stock motorcycle that has the aerodynamics of the Hayabusa.

This is a fairly trivial sidenote to the whole issue, but the statement made to the press really has little connection to reality. I thought it would be interesting to see just how much it would take to achieve the top speeds that the Oregon trooper thinks are now being achieved by stock motorcycles.

"A toggle switch on the handlebars of the 2005 Yamaha R6 allowed Ungureanu to flip the license plate under the rear fender and out of sight..."

"My name is Bond.... James Bond." cool.gif

What... none of you have ever wanted something like that? I know we've all wanted the machine guns and rocket launchers for idjit cage drivers, but this guy is a piece of work!

These things are sold under the name FastTags or FasTags. Of course, they're "not intended for street use." grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
According to this motorcycle top speed calculator, it takes 156.8 rwhp to push a Hayabusa through the air at 191 mph (this is very close to the dyno tests I've seen of the stock bike) and 208.3 rwhp to gain the additional 19 mph needed to achieve a top speed of 210 mph. That's almost 33% more rear wheel horsepower and it just hasn't happened yet, at least not on any stock motorcycle that has the aerodynamics of the Hayabusa.

That's spot-on. Aero drag power is proportional to the cube of speed. So:

210^3/191^3 = 1.329, i.e. 33% more power to hit 210 than to hit 191.

196, on a stock 'Busa? Maybe. Only 4-5 MPH above the 191 that was plausible. Even on a two-way run you could conceivably get this, if you had an auspicious tailwind (remember, only 4-5 MPH) on one pass or the other. But 210? No way.

My brother was supposed to be coming down from Washington to visit me, but never showed up.... eek.gifsmirk.gif

It's hard to believe we share the same gene pool crazy.gif

What were the state troopers doing while the motorcyclist was refueling during the pursuit? Watching?

Reading between the lines, it sounded like he slipped away from the coppers, only to be ratted out later by a citizen who either knew that they were looking for the guy or who reported him for some other reason. At that point the police resumed the pursuit and got him.

Here's all the phone numbers (to the newspaper) you could ever want to call and let somebody know that their local LEO's statement is absolutely w/o merit..........and as a public official he shouldn't be making statements about something of which he knows nothing about............ siccem guys!!

Telephone

Our area code: 541.

Main number for all departments not listed below: 485-1234.

To subscribe or to report a delivery problem: 485-3311 or 800-377-7428. These numbers are staffed from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday and from 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. on weekends and holidays.

To place a display advertisement: 485-1234, ask for ext. 2421.

To place a classified advertisement or a paid obituary: 342-1212.

Newsroom fax: 683-7631.

Sports fax: 687-6674.

All other departments/functions: Main switchboard, 485-1234.

Pat

USAF1 - I just happen to work at this esteemed newspaper. Thanks for publishing the numbers of our Circulation, Classified, and Display Advertising departments. We can use all the revenue we can get in this day of shrinking interest in newspapers.

However, I would suggest you contact OSP to complain about the misstatements. It's this kind of "propaganda" that skews the perception the non-riding population has of motorcycles and the people who ride them. Of course is there really much difference between 190 mph and 210?

I don't think it's the newspaper's responsibility to scold the OSP or its responsibility to verify what speed a Hyabusa is capable of.

I don't think it's the newspaper's responsibility to scold the OSP or its responsibility to verify what speed a Hyabusa is capable of.

So, you just print whatever you're told? If I tell you that smoking crack will boost your IQ by 10 points or that 90% of women enjoy forcible sex, you'd just go ahead and print it? No questions asked?

Please. The media has a responsibility to the truth. That's why they print retractions.

"Please. The media has a responsibility to the truth."

lmao.gif In a perfect world. IRL though, fear sells and owners have political agendas...hence the creative "editorial policies" of most papers, including, apparently, this one. Just one more reason newspapers are slowly dying out. I for one welcome the phenomenon.

That's kind of a sweeping assumption. The reporter quoted the police officer. This was a news report, not an essay on the capabilities of street motorcycles.

If you were a professional that had reasonable experience in drug abuse or rape crisis and said that "smoking crack will boost your IQ by 10 points or that 90% of women enjoy forcible sex", you'd likely be quoted on it.

There just isn't any reason for the reporter to go back to the newsroom and research just how fast street bikes can go. The reporter interviewed someone she reasonably believed should know. You shouldn't "kill the messenger."

Just for the record, I'm not a reporter. I work in IT.

"Please. The media has a responsibility to the truth."

lmao.gif In a perfect world. IRL though, fear sells and owners have political agendas...hence the creative "editorial policies" of most papers, including, apparently, this one. Just one more reason newspapers are slowly dying out. I for one welcome the phenomenon.

confused.gif Oh, so you're more willing to believe some anonymous blogger accountable to no one? Oh yeah, and this "sensational" story was on page three of the City/Region section.

Obviously. A reporter would know to never say anything "for the record" lmao.gif

Say hi to Carl and Hamp. wave.gif

(You can probably figure out whom I work for by where I live and the fact that we're doing a pretty big implementation at the Register Guard right now...)

"Oh, so you're more willing to believe some anonymous blogger accountable to no one? Oh yeah, and this "sensational" story was on page three of the City/Region section. "

Well, I'm pretty picky about who I believe at all. Seems like these days it's really tough to get honest information since everyone has their biases. I try and find both sides of the issue and consider it from there. I am however *extremely* jaded when it comes to newspapers. I've just read too many slanted and downright dishonest articles from them. Basically I feel that TV and Newspapers will report *anything* for the almighty dollar; accuracy and fairness has nothing to do with it anymore. Zero integrity. YMMV of course. wave.gif

P.S. I never said it was sensational; just that one of the "facts" they reported was in keeping with the general fearmongering agenda of most print media.

Vehicles should be made slower....for the children.... eek.gif

Ah, yes. The ususal thing that the bleeding hearts add is to invoke "for our children" to justify any argument. Rather like nearly every criticism of cars always refers to them, not as simply "cars", but "gas guzzling cars". In a recent newspaper article here the leftist-leaning author was complaianing about those little 49cc scooter riders, and referred to scooters as "gas guzzling scooters". 120MPG is "gas guzzling"?? In the same article he praised hybrid cars that get half this mileage. I guess that politically-correct vehicles cannot possible be called bad names.

It's all about pushing the right "buttons".

Vehicles should be made slower....for the children.... eek.gif

Ah, yes. The ususal thing that the bleeding hearts add is to invoke "for our children" to justify any argument. Rather like nearly every criticism of cars always refers to them, not as simply "cars", but "gas guzzling cars". In a recent newspaper article here the leftist-leaning author was complaianing about those little 49cc scooter riders, and referred to scooters as "gas guzzling scooters". 120MPG is "gas guzzling"?? In the same article he praised hybrid cars that get half this mileage. I guess that politically-correct vehicles cannot possible be called bad names.

It's all about pushing the right "buttons".

So true, so true.

Obviously. A reporter would know to never say anything "for the record" lmao.gif

Say hi to Carl and Hamp. wave.gif

(You can probably figure out whom I work for by where I live and the fact that we're doing a pretty big implementation at the Register Guard right now...)

It's a small world, indeed! cool.gif

Archived