IGNORED

KTM Super Duke and Impressions

Bheckel169

I've posted earlier about finding a sportbike or sporttourer as an alternative bike for the winding roads here in North Carolina. I have an 06 1200 RT and love the bike and I've gotten great comments about Ducati's, Triumph's all the way down to 650 Kawi Versy's for 2008. I just noticed that Motorcyclist named the KTM Super Duke the motorcyle of the year and wanted to know if anyone owns one or has ridden them? I'm going to buy something in the smaller sport class, though the the Super Duke at 990cc's doesn't really fit the smaller sport class, I just don't know what I want and what would be a fun bike to ride. Your comments are appreciated.

Bruce

It is just shocking how good that bike rides and it took alot of will power to not buy one. When I test rode one, I ended up buying the X-Moto. I really wanted something in-between. It just depends on what you want.

The SuperDuke is frustrating to ride an any normal speed and the motor isn't happy unless it is pulling.

The suspension is RC51 brutal. The riding position is perfect. The throttle is too jerky. At 80 mph, you can do a stoppie with two fingers without trying and do a wheelie with just throttle. You could get killed soooooooooo fast.

If KTM makes a gentler version, I'm first in line but as-is it is just insane. If the Duke III ends up with the riding position of the SD instead of the Duke II, it might replace the X-Moto. I want a SuperDuke with mellower brakes and suspension with the BMW F800 drivetrain and a little more wind protection.

I'm lusting after a SD myself after riding a 950 Supermoto. My biggest concern about them is range, I really want 200 miles to a tank at a minimum.

The SM was a hoot to ride, wheelies, sliding the tire etc., not that hard to do and I think I could honestly really enjoy one... if I lived someplace that wasn't so @$#%^@$%$ flat. It's just a waste of tires and license points for me, of course, I do have this new truck that it'd fit in the bed of. Hmmm, why would I actually have to ride everywhere? confused.gifgrin.gif

russell_bynum

I haven't ridden one, but there was one at the track when we were there once. It looked/sounded fantastic and was really hauling ass.

If you like the SuperDuke, also look at the Aprilia Tuono and the MV Agusta Brutale.

bakerzdosen
If you like the SuperDuke, also look at the Aprilia Tuono and the MV Agusta Brutale.
Or since you mention "smaller" you might want to look at the Aprilia Shiver 750 or Triumph Street Triple 675. Accolade (the local BMW/Triumph/KTM dealer) quoted us a $6995 price on the Street Triple (though I'm betting he's wrong even though he swore he wasn't.) MSRP is still only $7995.

Archived