IGNORED

Lane splitting article in LA Times

leikam

Here's a link to the article. Overall, I thought it was a good write up and more balanced than most such articles.

If you read to the end, you'll see that the author asked my impressions of splitting. She had apparently seen my previous comments here on the board. You never know who's reading...

beemerman2k

Lane splitting, while like any other aspect of operating a motor vehicle can be abused, but it is a perfectly safe way to ride. I logged over 55K miles of California riding on my R1100RT in the 3 years I lived in LA without a single lane splitting incident. It is far safer than riding in traffic like you have to do in the rest of the country.

I found it in a search, but can't view it without signing up.

Try this: right-click and copy the whole link from the first post, then open up another browser window (or tab) and paste the link into the URL bar, but trim the remainder of the URL after the word "story" (trim from the question mark on). Hit return.

I would like to see the AMA push to make safe lane sharing in all 50 states legal or, at least, not illegal with as much or more gusto as it addresses helmets, noise, health care, &c. Is this a pipe dream?

I had written the AMA about this in 2003, and in a reply I received from Nick Harris he wrote, "their [sic.] was an effort to allow 'lane sharing' in Oregon last session, but I believe it failed. The idea is a good one but I am afraid it would be very hard to pull off in most states as California specifically designs wider lanes (from what I have been told) and the cost to retrofit other states freeways would be pretty high. I am happy to discuss this further with you, but my initial reaction is that it would be very difficult and most likely fail due to the lane width issue."

But I don't see lane width as an issue since it is safe lane sharing that I support. The laws should be written to allow for safe lane sharing. Then new roads, or resurfaced roads, can be designed with lanes that are wide enough to allow for lane sharing. And on any (older) roads with lanes that are too narrow for safe lane sharing, lane sharing would not be allowed because it would be unsafe. In this way, states can move toward allowing lane sharing without having to incur the expense of retrofitting any older roads.

Just my opinion.

It is actually Haris not Harris (Hungarian spelling) and since I wrote that I can tell you that a few other states have looked into this issue as well....

But (like many other issues) it is a very divisive one within the MC community. Lots of riders think it is just plain dangerous and have told me not to spend any time on it while others clearly are much more interested in the other issues you mentioned but do have some interest in it....I believe New Jersey currently has a lane splitting task force and that Texas was also looking into it as well....

Washington State does have a group trying to bring this to the legislature that I have spoken with, but even they are seeing a very mixed reaction from within the rider community….the poll hosted on their site shows a 70/30 split for support and I suspect they are attracting a biased sample anyway….

www.laneshare.org

Calling for "safe" lane splitting is easy to say but very difficult to define (ask the Oregon folks they have tried numerous methods but so far had little success)...the lane width story is but one explanation I have heard from riders as to why other states have rejected the idea, not to say the design them specifically to allow splitting, but rather they are wider for whatever reason and we the riders benefit from that...

Personally I split every time I ride and could not support the concept more.

Dave McReynolds

But I don't see lane width as an issue since it is safe lane sharing that I support. The laws should be written to allow for safe lane sharing. Then new roads, or resurfaced roads, can be designed with lanes that are wide enough to allow for lane sharing. And on any (older) roads with lanes that are too narrow for safe lane sharing, lane sharing would not be allowed because it would be unsafe. In this way, states can move toward allowing lane sharing without having to incur the expense of retrofitting any older roads.

I really don't think you have to define how wide a lane needs to be for "safe" lane sharing. Motorcycles come in all different widths and are ridden by all different skill levels of people. Many riders in California never lane split because they either ride motorcycles that are too wide or they don't feel comfortable riding that close to cars. Anyone who decides they want to lane split quickly learns to judge gaps between cars, just like they judge anything else, like whether they ought to wait for an oncoming car before entering an intersection or whether to go for it.

The problem is that most drivers, and even some California motorcyclists, don't like it or approve of it. It will be interesting to see if there is an outpouring of hate letters following the article like I have seen whenever the subject is brought up in the Sacramento newspaper. Someone from the motorcycle community usually tries to interject some sanity into the discussion, but most of the letters are quite emotional and can't understand why the law allows such a thing to continue. So if that is the case here in California, where it has been legal and tolerated for years, I can imagine the barriers you would have to overcome to make it legal anywhere else.

It would take a real sea change in public opinion. Maybe if gas reaches $10/gallon or so, there will be a huge conversion to people commuting on motor scooters, and more people will see the benefit of not waiting in a line of traffic for no reason.

The fact is that lane splitting is safer than most of the other things we do on motorcycles, and a lot safer than the alternative: breathing fumes while mindlessly waiting in a line of idling traffic for some inattentive idiot to smack into the back of you!

Michael,

Cool. How did you get to be in the story?

Previous CHP commissioner Spike Helmick wanted to do away with lane sharing. The new commissioner Mike Brown said in a recent KGO radio interview that it was safer than the public thinks and there are merits to the present system. clap.gif

The CHP's support for it is in most likely why it is still allowed at all, or at least hasn’t seen a significant challenge in the legislature. I have heard of more than one attempt to introduce legislation to make it illegal that was killed prior to the bill even being introduced, in part thanks to the CHP (it isn't actually "legal" even though the author said it was)....lots of riders do get tickets, but not for lane splitting, more likely for unsafe lane change, unsafe operation etc etc...officer discretion plays a large part in determining what is or is not allowed...

I wonder how open the motorcycling community as a whole would be to agreeing to mandatory helmets in exchange for the right to lane share/split? Seems to me it would be an effective and fair trade-off. But then that's just me.

I would like to see the AMA push to make safe lane sharing in all 50 states legal or, at least, not illegal with as much or more gusto as it addresses helmets, noise, health care, &c. Is this a pipe dream?

Yes, it would be nice to see them get behind something that actually benefits riders. dopeslap.gif

texasaggie97

Great link I enjoyed the write up. I have to say that lane splitting does save time and it is fun I have to add. Stay safe

Very interesting question Ken. I think you would have a lot of takers especially from the riders in large cities who get to sit in traffic or take their chances splitting illegally. I would guess the makers of the beanie helmets would see an increase in sales with the newfound freedom to split lanes. At least now the riders would have something on their heads The effects would be felt in 49 other states and not here in Ca. obviously. If we should ever move to another state I don't know what I will do about the lane splitting thing. I have been doing it for 18 years. At this point it is as natural as turning on your signal to make a turn.

russell_bynum

we should ever move to another state I don't know what I will do about the lane splitting thing.

When I'm in states that don't allow splitting, I do it anyway.

If I get stopped, so be it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there and wait to get rear-ended.

The only difference is I have to be more on the lookout for LEO's so I can pretend to be a good boy until they're gone and I'm free to minimize my risk again.

Steve, the author just emailed me out of the blue and asked if I wanted to do an interview. Apparently somewhere in the thousands of posts I've made here, something sounded coherent.

When doing so elsewhere, what's your perception of the irritableness and/or aggressiveness of cage drivers vs. when splitting in CA? Do you see more attempts to squeeze / block you, etc. when outside of CA where it is a least known?
russell_bynum
When doing so elsewhere, what's your perception of the irritableness and/or aggressiveness of cage drivers vs. when splitting in CA? Do you see more attempts to squeeze / block you, etc. when outside of CA where it is a least known?

Yes, for sure. And you have to weigh that against the risk of sitting there in traffic waiting to get rear-ended.

Texas was the worst so far...which is funny considering that when I had a breakdown there, everyone and their uncle stopped to see if I was OK. I guess they're friendly unless you're making more progress than them. crazy.gif

Paul Mihalka
we should ever move to another state I don't know what I will do about the lane splitting thing.

If I get stopped, so be it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there and wait to get rear-ended.

The only difference is I have to be more on the lookout for LEO's so I can pretend to be a good boy until they're gone and I'm free to minimize my risk again.

The problem with lane splitting in areas where it is not legal and not usual, is the other road users. Even in California you guys complain about cage drivers who do nasty or inattentive things. Now I am positive that in Cali a great majority of drivers look for motorcycles before lane changes or other actions. Don't tell me that it is not true. I'm sure it's just a very few (statistically speaking) who are intentionally or unintentionally asshats. It's not that they are all nice people who love motorcycles. They just don't want a torn off mirror or bashed in fender.

In my 30+ years of South American riding I did not lane-split because there were no lanes. You rode (and drove) between other cars, on the shoulder, on the sidewalk. Everybody expected it, nobody surprised.

Here in the USA I don't do it mostly because nobody expects it.

The problem with lane splitting in areas where it is not legal and not usual, is the other road users. Even in California you guys complain about cage drivers who do nasty or inattentive things. Now I am positive that in Cali a great majority of drivers look for motorcycles before lane changes or other actions. Don't tell me that it is not true. I'm sure it's just a very few (statistically speaking) who are intentionally or unintentionally asshats. It's not that they are all nice people who love motorcycles. They just don't want a torn off mirror or bashed in fender.

In my 30+ years of South American riding I did not lane-split because there were no lanes. You rode (and drove) between other cars, on the shoulder, on the sidewalk. Everybody expected it, nobody surprised.

Here in the USA I don't do it mostly because nobody expects it.

Excelent point

When you expect the unexpected (oxymoron I know) you are much safer. A city in The Netherlands (I think) has gotten rid of all traffic laws (even parking), save a few: Pedestrians have right of way then bycles. Vehicles on the right have right of way. Use your turn signal. car v car, car v ped(or bikes) collisions are down. Appearently the person who came up with this tests if this anachary is working by closing his eyes and walking across the street. dopeslap.gif But he is still alive. His theory is the rules allow people to assume that others will do something predictable. By getting rid of the rules attention is heightened and collisions are down.

If people knew lane spliting was legal and expected it, it would be very safe. Personally when I come to a stop light I try to position myself as if I was lane splitting therefor eliminating the crunch factor.

I think that they should legalize lane splitting but only when ALL traffic is moving 10-15 mph slower than the posted speed limit. Or on interstates where the limit is like 70 only allow it below say like 45. This would keep poeple from splitting when ever they felt like it and when not warranted. Stepping off soap box.

BluesTraveler

A few years back while heading out of the state of Washington I got caught in traffic and my ST1100 started to overheat, not a good thing. I knew it was wrong but not having much choice I went for it. Very carefully at 1st I went up the center to get a little air moving through the bike. In no time I had a very irrate driver in a camero take it upon himself to chase me down. With his horn wailing and fist out the window he made his way down the shoulder in an unsafe manner at speed. Only then did I picked up the pace and put time and distance between me and him for my own safety.

The way I see it more people need to ride and I don't understand why they don't. No one is telling them they have to commute by car. Its them that really do not get it.

Im a firm believer in lane sharing and will continue to do so as long as its legal. When it is banned how many of you will continue to ride to work? Doesn't the public know how many more cars will be thrown back into the mix making there commute even longer if its banned? I for one will see no advantage to sitting in traffic while on a motorcycle and will revert back to my truck adding to the conjestion along with everyone else.

Paul

My main concern lane splitting in another state is exactly what you said about drivers not looking or being use to bikes coming up through traffic. It is one thing if they are used to it and it is quite another if they are not. I remember the first time a bike rolled between me and the car next to me. It scared the hell out of me. I thought the guy was on the moon and I could never see myself doing it. That was until I got in a traffic jam and it is either sit, wait, and burn up from the heat, get rear ended or move and get through traffic. How long do you think it took me to start lane splitting? About a nanosecond. My feeling is the AMA should start a campaign to promote lane sharing in all states. It is just like anything else. With training people will get used to it and eventually accept it. It happened here so why not everywhere else.

Yeah Paul, I see your point. Very few people in the US would indeed expect to see you riding your bike on the sidewalk. grin.gif

Now those of us who know you on the other hand... wink.gif

My feeling is the AMA should start a campaign to promote lane sharing in all states. It is just like anything else. With training people will get used to it and eventually accept it. It happened here so why not everywhere else.

I sent the following to Deadboy in a separate e-mail.

I think that success will require a two-phase strategy.

Phase 1: Leverage the "power of the press"! :-) I think that the AMA can raise (awareness of) the issue through editorials, articles, &c., in its magazine, _American Motorcyclist_, and on Web site. By pointing out the benefits (safety, time savings, ecological, &c.) of safe lane sharing vs. sitting in traffic, the AMA can *make* this an issue near and dear to riders. Give examples of how the British and others have been "filtering" safely for years without antagonizing cagers. (And maybe other organizations, like ABATE, can do the same.)

Phase 2: Educate the public through DMV materials and (written) tests and AMA-sponsored PSAs in the different media (radio, television, newspapers, magazines).

Just my tuppence. :-D

Your 2 phase strategy sounds great to me. Maybe we can get each state to hire us to do the teaching and phasing in this strategy.

Even in California you guys complain about cage drivers who do nasty or inattentive things. Now I am positive that in Cali a great majority of drivers look for motorcycles before lane changes or other actions. Don't tell me that it is not true.
It's not true. The great majority of drivers in CA look before they change lanes, but there's no indication they are looking for motorcycles. There's no head movement indicating an extra effort to narrow or check the blind spot or check for spltters. Only if you're running aftermarket pipes and are close do they appear to take notice before they maneuver.
I'm sure it's just a very few (statistically speaking) who are intentionally or unintentionally asshats. It's not that they are all nice people who love motorcycles. They just don't want a torn off mirror or bashed in fender.
That is true. Not that CA cagers think it out as to the consequences, although a few do, but the distinctive thing about them is that they're not generally aggressive towards splitters. Only twice in 160k+ commuting mile in the last six years in the LA basin have i been intentionally menaced. (knock wood) It ain't scientific, but i think the traffic has generally chilled in the last 10 years out here since we've had a healthy number of freeway shootings. unless the bars are closing, people don't generally frack with you on the freeway the way they used to. as to CA cagers' specific tolerance for lane splitting, i don't know whether it's because folks are less uptight out here than they are in Jersey, or because they're used to it, or because they see the LEOs doing it, but they just don't get fussed over it. and generally speaking, unless it's an uncertain squid who just lost his training wheels, or the weekend outlaw out for a cruise with the missus, most bikes out here split when the traffic drops to slowgostopandgo.

i'll tell you one thing. about 90% of splitters out here have full face helmets and full gear (except for the obligatory unarmored jeans), and i bet that 90% of those who don't are wearing something else.

Dave McReynolds

The problem with lane splitting in areas where it is not legal and not usual, is the other road users. Even in California you guys complain about cage drivers who do nasty or inattentive things. Now I am positive that in Cali a great majority of drivers look for motorcycles before lane changes or other actions. Don't tell me that it is not true.

As much as I hate to put myself in the position of disagreeing with you, Paul, I have to tell you that I don't think it's true that drivers in California look out for lane splitting motorcyclists.

I think that as soon as you begin to believe that, you're on the list to get nailed. Half the time when I'm in my car, I'm not even aware of them, and am slightly surprised when one cruises by my elbow. I believe the average driver does not know we are approaching them until we are passing them by. Some above-average drivers are aware and make room for us, while some let's say below average drivers do something to make it more difficult for us. Anyone should look before they change lanes, but I don't think they're looking for motorcycles, especially.

I believe you need to approach every lane splitting experience under the assumption that none of the drivers are aware of your existence, and be super-tuned-in to the possibility of unexpected lane changes, door openings, squeezes, etc.

Once in my car, having just been passed by a lane splitting Harley, the car in front of me veered into him. It was like they were dance partners; he veered exactly in step with her veer, instinctively, and was in front of her car before she even had a chance to register a shocked expression on her face (I was able to observe her delayed expression through her rear-view mirror). I was impressed, and reminded myself, as I have on several other occasions, that not all Harley riders are riding around high on crank.

You are no doubt correct, though, that there would be much more overt hostility toward lane splitting in states where it is not allowed, just as we would be hostile here in California when we observe people breaking our own traffic laws.

Being in in the heart of the country where if you don't drive around in a 4-wheel drive pik-up truk you're considered a wuss, let alone being on a motorcikle, it will indeed be a cold day in you know where before we can ever slip/lane share here, so my question is largely an academic one for me but,

Those of you who do it, do you find you are less interfered with, hassled, noticed, if you ride in a more 'stealthy' mode? That is, no lights on, quiet, a bit more above the speed of others? I.e. - You're by them (cages) before they see you? Or is it the other way around, lights on at all, bright clothing, slow pace difference, etc, such that they are more likely to notice you coming up from behind, and therefore 'give' a little?

russell_bynum

Those of you who do it, do you find you are less interfered with, hassled, noticed, if you ride in a more 'stealthy' mode? That is, no lights on, quiet, a bit more above the speed of others? I.e. - You're by them (cages) before they see you? Or is it the other way around, lights on at all, bright clothing, slow pace difference, etc, such that they are more likely to notice you coming up from behind, and therefore 'give' a little?

I started out trying to be really visible, but ended up trying to be stealthy.

What I discovered was this:

If people see you, they might react to you.

Since the average skill level of drivers out there is pretty low, their reaction is not always a positive one. Lots of times I saw someone glance in their mirror, see my big-ass RT with the landing lights off a 747 bearing down on them. They'd be startled, and jerk the wheel. Sometimes they went away from me, sometimes they went towards me. I dno't believe either action was intentional...it was just a startle reaction and which way the wheel was turned was mostly just chance.

Some folks would see me and react positively...by moving over a bit.

Some (very few...probably about one every 2 months when I was commuting every day) would see me and react negatively...by moving over to block my path.

The people who moved over for me...it was nice, but not necessary. I could always get by even if they hadn't moved over and made it easier.

So basically...none of the possible reactions that people had when they saw me were necessary, and some of them were potentially harmful.

I started really thinking about this when both of my PIAA lights burned out one day. I rode for about 2 weeks before I replaced them, and after about the first week, I realized that far fewer people had done that "jerk" reaction where they blindly jerk the wheel in some random direction. Basically...because I was less conspicuous, less people noticed me, and therefore less people had a chance to react in a negative way.

Now I prefer stealth while splitting.

A few notes:

I once followed a guy with a modulator while splitting. People pretty much parted the red sea to let us through. That's one instance where a modulator really seemed to help, and because you're not sitting there behind the same car for miles on end, you don't get a chance to annoy them with your spastic flashing light.

When I'm in a situation with 2-way traffic, lots of side streets, and no real splitting opportunities, I like to be conspicuous. Motolights aimed nice and low are my favorite for that task.

I ride in black unless it's raining and then aerostitch neon. From zero to say 15mph, the bigger the speed delta the more they give way, but above 10 mph delta they give way unpredictably and in a bit of a panic. much of the LA basin's carpool lanes is separated from the number one lane by a double double yellow with about 24" in between. the delta can be higher here when the traffic is stopped or almost so. although techically illegal, it's the de facto dedicated motorcycle lane, and this is where you'll find the LEOs when the going gets slow. i've passed dozens of CHP units and motors on the verge looking for car pool violaters while i'm doing 20 mph down the the carpool/number one divider through stopped traffic without even raising an eyebrow. Noise doesn't seem to help. Large throttle openings with an aftermarket can can freeze a cager in place but unless they see you from at least 2 or 3 carlengths back they don't have time to give way in a controlled give-an-inch way. Sometimes they don't see you until you're on their hip. If this happens in the first or carpool lane they sometimes dive for the median in a kinda scarey jerk-it-left maneuver. The major factor in my experience is lights. When i'm running the HID low beam plus constant on turn lights plus 55w fogs plus code3 amber leds plus 85w piaas, there's significantly more parting of the steel than without. at night i cut the piaas to avoid blinding, but with the code3s and HID, on the gt as well as the rt, i'm still lit up to stand out. as long as i don't blind them or swoop in behind them like i'm a LEO in arrest or pursuit mode, in which case they hit the brakes, the more i'm lit up the more they give way.
Dave McReynolds

Personally, when I lane split I'm just as happy being invisible, which is what I assume I am in any event. Our lights are on all the time in California anyway, but otherwise I feel that it's my responsibility to anticipate what the traffic around me will do. I think from the perspective of not annoying cagers any more than they already are about lane splitters, it's best to keep a low profile. For every car that has noticed me and moved over to give me more room out of kindness, another has moved over to give me more room with a worried look on the driver's face. I'd just as soon not be noticed rather than add to someone's worries. As for noise, when driving a car, I have been just as annoyed as anyone else when a motorcycle with loud pipes passes inches away from my left ear. Fortunately for all of us, I guess, riders of loud piped motorcycles seem to be in the minority of lane splitters here in California.

Well written aticle. I can't believe the L.A. Times printed it. They're sad about representing motorcyclists in general.

Susan Carpenter now writes a near-weekly column about motorcycles in the Times. She focuses mostly on sport bikes and cruisers, but still it's dedicated space about two-wheelers.

bakerzdosen
A few notes:

I once followed a guy with a modulator while splitting. People pretty much parted the red sea to let us through. That's one instance where a modulator really seemed to help, and because you're not sitting there behind the same car for miles on end, you don't get a chance to annoy them with your spastic flashing light.

QFT. smirk.gif

Yes folks, I think we have a positive comment from Russell about a modulator here. Perhaps we could sticky this? Or maybe it's just a sign that the end of the world is near? lmao.gif

OK, topic at hand.

I only drive the freeways in California maybe three weeks out of the year. And every time, that first bike that passes me surprises me. After that, I'm more aware of lane splitters (sharers - whatever). But it takes that first one to "wake me up" about it.

But I do really wish that it were an option elsewhere. I'd support any AMA (or otherwise) sponsored effort to legalize it here. But then again, we really only have traffic that merits it in a small portion of the state. My suspicion is that it's something like driving on the Autobahn. It seems incredibly unsafe to most until you've actually experienced it - and very few in this country will ever experience either.

I prefer to slip through stealth like. Not slow. Not at warp speed. Just a reasonable (IMHO) pace. I'm mindful of my aftermarket exhaust and try not to irritate drivers to my right with open windows.

You do have to be hyperaware. If I get pinched I just go around before they can react. You also have to keep an eye out for other splitters approaching from behind.

Passing another splitter or pseudo-splitter (chrome show or LT/Wing idling between lanes) seems to be one of the more taxing things.

Paul Mihalka
Yes folks, I think we have a positive comment from Russell about a modulator here. Perhaps we could sticky this? Or maybe it's just a sign that the end of the world is near? lmao.gif
Continued hijack: In another thread Russell describing his latest slide-out, he commented that ABS might have saved his butt!!! Is he getting older? Wiser? Naaaa, must be the summer heat tongue.gif
russell_bynum
Continued hijack: In another thread Russell describing his latest slide-out, he commented that ABS might have saved his butt!!! Is he getting older? Wiser? Naaaa, must be the summer heat tongue.gif

I've never once said that I don't like ABS.

I've pointed out the liabilities that ABS brings to the equation. I've pointed out that ABS will not save you from every emergency braking situation. And I've said that you should practice good braking technique regardless of if you have ABS or not.

But I've never said I don't like ABS. I do like ABS (on street bikes). Not having it isn't a deal-breaker for me, but I do consider it a nice feature.

Archived