IGNORED

Differences between '06, '07 R1200

Snowman

I went to a dealer a couple of days ago to pick up either a GS or RT. I do not intend to do any serious off road riding and my last bike was a ST1100 so I probably would like either one. One of the dealers has new '06 and '07 GS in stock and would like to deal on the '06. The only significant problem I have read about with either of these is the continued reports of differential failures. I believe the '06 has a sealed differential while the 07 has a design that allows the fluid to be changed periodically. Is this accurate? Any other differences in the two models that I should be aware of?

I've ridden some 1150 GS and a 1100 RT in the past. I can't test ride any of the new offerings due to an ankle that is about 2/3 healed.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Wel,

I think the most significant change will be the brakes on the 07. Prior to that the hex head had power assisted brakes. As for the differential, the 06 has the plug to do the oil change (I don't think there's a change for 07). Initially the mantainenance schedule indicated the final drive was lifetime but BMW has changed their minds and now recommends a change at the initial service. I don't think I've heard of any inordinate amount of 06 final drive failures to date.

Jim VonBaden

The only significant change between the 06 and 07 is the change from servo-assisted ABS brakes to Non-servo ABS brakes. I personally have no problem with either, though some will swear you will regret the servo brakes. There have been about the same amount of complaints both ways.

The final drives are exactly the same. For the 07 BMW decided it might be a good idea to change the final drive fluid at 600 miles, THEN it is lifetime fluid. Personally i will change it every 12K.

That's about it other than a slightly relocated center stand that is easier to use on the 07, along with a matching new sidestand.

Jim cool.gif

There have been some posts indicating that there is a slight difference (improvement) in the way the '07 panniers mount. To be honest, I've had both an '06 RT and '07 ST and I can't tell the difference but then again, I'm not clear on what I'm supposed to be looking for.

The only significant change between the 06 and 07 is the change from servo-assisted ABS brakes to Non-servo ABS brakes. I personally have no problem with either, though some will swear you will regret the servo brakes. There have been about the same amount of complaints both ways.

The final drives are exactly the same. For the 07 BMW decided it might be a good idea to change the final drive fluid at 600 miles, THEN it is lifetime fluid. Personally i will change it every 12K.

That's about it other than a slightly relocated center stand that is easier to use on the 07, along with a matching new sidestand.

Jim cool.gif

Jim, when was the rear bearing changed from IIRC a 19 ball design to a 17 ball? Did that change prove to be stronger?

Bill

Jim VonBaden

Jim cool.gif

Jim, when was the rear bearing changed from IIRC a 19 ball design to a 17 ball? Did that change prove to be stronger?

Bill

That was on the R1150, not the 1200. AFAIK there were absolutely no changes to the R1200 in any year so far.

Jim cool.gif

Archived