IGNORED

Feasting on Asphalt II: The River Run

99Roadster

SAAB93driver

He must've recently got the GS. I had a chance to chat with him briefly when I was at a book signing/cooking demo of his in Naples earlier this year he didn't have a boxer anymore and was planning on using a K1200R naked bike for the shoot. I said he might have trouble on a naked bike with audio but he seemed pretty set on it - don't know but looks like he changed his mind.

They are not covering up the emblems this time around either, maybe BMW is sponsoring to some extent. It seems like it would be good marketing chance for BMW to me.

duckbubbles

I have to admit that the Food Network hasn't been on my Favorites list.

Two things struck me about the program:

Here they are in the good 'ol US and A and THEY AREN'T RIDING HARLEYS!!! What ever could they be thinking. And to top that off, they are wearing helmets and protective gear. What is going on here?

Second, the show is pretty entertaining. I will try to watch it again.

When I heard traveling on bikes, sampling food, my first thoughts were the stereotype Harley type of barhopping, only with restaurants. The show is a pleasant surprise.

Frank

"They are not covering up the emblems this time around either, maybe BMW is sponsoring to some extent. It seems like it would be good marketing chance for BMW to me."

Well, he does thank BMW Motorcyles of Atlanta here.

That could be because Bob Wooldridge the owner of BMW Motorcyles of Atlanta went along for the ride. I noticed him in a couple of shots last night.

Baba_ORiley

Watching the first show of this new season, I kind of got the feeling that old Alton had never before tasted iced tea that was not "sweet tea" and he seemed to think the concept of unsweetened ice tea was strange. Yeah I know sweet tea is a regional southern thing, but personally I can't stand the stuff -- tastes like tea-flavored Kool-Aid to me.

Anyway, I think I'm going to like this season's show. Hope they show more riding scenes.

Hope they show more riding scenes.

I'm sure they will. If you think about it, you just don't need to ride to get to good food in New Orleans. Look left, and there's great food. Look right, and guess what? Great food!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they only cover c. 100 miles in 3 days on that first episode? Makes me want to ride in Louisiana sooooo bad!

Having once lived in New Orleans I was suprised they went so far in 3 days. They could easily spend a month just on the Louisiana side of the river and another month on the Mississippi side. Memphis to St Louis, not so much but in Memphis and St Louis another month.

I'd hate to have my blood tests done after a couple months on the road with those boys. I like the GS's they are on though.

That could be because Bob Wooldridge the owner of BMW Motorcyles of Atlanta went along for the ride. I noticed him in a couple of shots last night.

When I bought my RT there, he had the GS he rode in the show for sale. Nice bike, good price.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or does it look like Alton's video equipment budget has been slashed to the bone.

It looks like most of it was shot using a cell phone camera. eek.gif The previous series was much easier to watch in my opinion.

I'm enjoying the series. I especially like his arm-length self-video segments. It adds a sense of realism for me.
Ditto...

And as for getting more 'ride' shots, this is Food Network, not Speed Channel. I'm actually enjoying learning about the food.

Mike O

Steve_Witmer
This could start a flame war that makes the "which oil is better" fights seem tame.

Olive oil, virgin or extra virgin, first press or not, canola, peanut, soybean.

I've been running my RT on 20w-50 Grapeseed oil because it has a high smoke point!

Just watch out for anything with too many trans-fats -- will cause surging, HES failure and PTTR.

SAAB93driver

I like the second season but so far I think I related more to the first season which seemed less planned and more spontaneous. More of the "We see something..We have to stop." The second season destinations seem more planned. And what's with that motor home?

In any case, it's worthy of an hour in front of the tube on a Saturday night.

I like the second season but so far I think I related more to the first season which seemed less planned and more spontaneous. More of the "We see something..We have to stop." The second season destinations seem more planned. And what's with that motor home?

i agree with your thoughts. i watch it, enjoy it, but something is missing compared to last year. maybe it's the location and all the gator, gumbo stuff early on. familiar with that. as i said it's DVR'd and a weekly favorite. lurker.gif

Speaking of oils, did anyone ever respond to the viscosity differences between virgin and extra-virgin? dopeslap.gif

I think I have an idea for a whole new set of bag liners now, spatula, spice rack, etc... A camp kitchen that attaches to a Givi Rack!!!!!! clap.gif

Speaking of oils, did anyone ever respond to the viscosity differences between virgin and extra-virgin? dopeslap.gif

I think I have an idea for a whole new set of bag liners now, spatula, spice rack, etc... A camp kitchen that attaches to a Givi Rack!!!!!! clap.gif

...with a small "oven" attached the side case resting against the tailpipe....go for it.

KentuckyBlue

I seem to remember that last season, Alton's website showed a listing of all the gear he was wearing as well as the type of bike he was riding. I don't see that this season. Anyone know what helmet and jacket he is wearing this year?

Ray

I seem to remember that last season, Alton's website showed a listing of all the gear he was wearing as well as the type of bike he was riding. I don't see that this season. Anyone know what helmet and jacket he is wearing this year?

Ray

Maybe his agreement with BMW stipulates that he can't plug the competition?

wrestleantares

I'm enjoying the show, and even as is it is a better MC show for me than any of the

Oh My CC Jesse James Pirateathon Biker Crap Build Shoot Offs

That said:

1. I hate the camera work

2. I hate the low res video - Like it is designed to "look" spontaneous.

3. Take a breath Alton!

First episode of Season 2 seemed a little forced and scripted, but Episode 2 was much better in appearing more spontaneous and allowing AB to bring out his nerdy goofiness more. Wife shares the same opinion. I am particularly pumped about the next to last episode as it will be going thru my boyhood home of eastern Iowa and many of the roads I first travelled on bikes.

I think that it is same as I have Multitec ,just has the shoei coved with tape.
You're right, he's wearing the Multitec because it has the air vents in the front, along with a red button to open the chin bar. At first, it looked like a Nolan 102, but after watching the last Feasting episode closely, it's definitely a Multitec because there is black trim on the vent on the top of the helmet.

multitec_lightsilver.jpg

Here's the opening of the show where he rides up and you can get a pretty good look at his helmet:

http://wms.scripps.com/library/Food_Network/75645.wmv

Good. It's not just me. I, too, find the handheld shots a bit annoying, and so far, I've enjoyed season 2 far less than season 1, though I'm hard pressed to explain why. Two things seem apparent to me this season, though I could be wrong,

(1) More food, less bikes. It's as if the Food Network told Alton to tone down the bike angle.

(2) The Roundel is clearly dangled in front of the camera this time. BMW sure knows how to market themselves, esp. after LWR.

Just for a little balance... I like the show. I like it better than the first one. I think the hand held angle is ok. Sort of make the production values a little "homey".

But then I am a "foodie" and a native of the very places he has been traveling and eating in... That being Memphis. My folks were from northern Mississippi.

Just watched the third episode on season II and Alton is still moaning about no sweet tea available. Man's gotta problem, that's what I say. wink.gif

Just watched the third episode on season II and Alton is still moaning about no sweet tea available. Man's gotta problem, that's what I say. wink.gif

I'm a big Alton fan but the sweet tea thing and his obsession about getting secret family recipes has gotten old, quickly.

He seems even more arrogant this time around, as well. The "feel" of the series is definitely different this time.

SAAB93driver

That Tamale machine in episode 3 was kind of cool. I never knew there was a "tamale trail," I guess that nugget by itself is worth something to me.

Tamale Trail... go on-line to Esquire magazine a few issues back... (they put the entire issues on line, which is kinda cool) They did a long article on Tamales in the Delta. If you like Tamales, or the delta, or regional food you will like this article.

There are a lot of guys who don't seem to take Alton's cup of tea... so to speak. I think he is great. I like a guy who knows his stuff and not just theory either, and no I don't want to start an Alton thread.... just saying some of you don't like him- fine, I do.

I have to admit that the Food Network hasn't been on my Favorites list.

Two things struck me about the program:

Here they are in the good 'ol US and A and THEY AREN'T RIDING HARLEYS!!! What ever could they be thinking. And to top that off, they are wearing helmets and protective gear. What is going on here?

Second, the show is pretty entertaining. I will try to watch it again.

When I heard traveling on bikes, sampling food, my first thoughts were the stereotype Harley type of barhopping, only with restaurants. The show is a pleasant surprise.

Frank

If they were ridding Harley's, most of the good eats would be coming from vending machines in the Harley dealerships they would need to stop in to keep the machines going. grin.gif

It's almost more than one can handle to put up with that bloated, arrogant twit just to watch a motorcycle travelogue.

musicboohoo.gif

It's almost more than one can handle to put up with that bloated, arrogant twit just to watch a motorcycle travelogue.

Lost that remote again???? lmao.gif

lurker.gif

RandyShields

Still love the show for the subjects, but agree that it's more choreographed. I like his attention to the local cooks who have been at it a while, but would like to see more riding footage and less of the tight, black t shirt that shows off his man tits. I thought the guy was trim in round 1, but he must have sampled a bit of the ganga and some trimmings over the past twenty years or so.

Great show. Went to a few of the restaurants he shot in the last series and had good food. Shirley's Sole Food was really good, a lot of different riders were showing up at the hole in the wall because of AB's show.

If you are within striking distance to any of his stops, I recommend them. I am planning a trip to Lorman to try some of Arther Davis' Fried Chicken.

I admit the last series did seem more genuine without all the BMW sponsorship the Atlanta BMW(actually Marietta) is providing. Gravy train is pulling out, all aboard.

Archived