IGNORED

Wow

apriorius

Well, picked up a glacier green '96 R1100RT yesterday. First Beemer (not Bimmer though), and first sport touring bike. I have to say, when I sat on it I just could not imagine myself riding this bike. Waaaay too different from anything I had ridden before. Deal was too good to pass up though, and I figured if I hated it I could resell in a month and probably not lose any cash.

Well.

I threw on the plate from my 'truder and took her for an illicit spin last night (DMV was closed yesterday when I sealed the deal). A quick zip through downtown turned into a loop of the city and more. Rode again for about 3 hours today. I'm hooked! What a great bike.

So, glad to be here, looks like a good forum. This thing seems pretty high tech. I'm used to doing my own wrenching, but I'll admit I'm intimidated by this bike. Is standard maintenance doable for a shadetree mechanic who is thorough and painstaking?

Welcome aboard......if you are used to turning wrenches, then these bikes are a breeze to work on. Just pick up a manual and ask about anything you're not sure about. What kind of mileage does it have?

Hi and welcome to the board. wave.gifwave.gif

Good ride isn't it?

The R110RT is really quite easy in terms of servicing, even quite major jobs like clutch changes can be done by a patient home mechanic.

Oil changes, oil filter changes, air filter changes, valve checks and throttle synch is called up every 6K miles. Plugs every 24K and alternator drive belts every 36K. Brake fluid changes are best done every year/two years and on the 1100 are pretty much like any other hydraulic system.

When the time comes, or even before, look for a 'Tech Daze' near(ish) you and invite yourself along. There you will learn how to do basic tune-ups and more. Not to mention meet a whole bunch of good folk.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Most of the maintenenace is pretty straight forward. I've never done valves on a bucket/shim type or a carb synch on a inline 4, but on my BMW R1150, I was able to check the valves by using a Clymer Manual.

On oil change in the same as any bike and the tires still use regular old air.

<snip> Is standard maintenance doable for a shadetree mechanic who is thorough and painstaking?
From what I've heard, seen and read - YES!

Welcome and enjoy your new ride.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Mileage is a low 10.5K; apparently it sat for a long time. The previous owner dropped it off at the dealership and paid for an overhaul before selling it...lucky me!

Tech Daze sounds good; where would I go to keep an eye out fir such an animal?

Also, what's the best manual for this bike? Clymer?

Tech daze are advertised in our Ride and Event Planning Forum, where there is also a helpful guide to hosts and guests.

My preference is the BMW manual on CD, which even in the USA is best (cheapest) bought from Motobins in the UK.

For the paper manuals I prefer the Haynes as there have been a couple of errors in torque figures in the Clymer.

Andy

Hi Eric.... Tech days in the Raleigh area are few and far between. Last year we had a couple folks change shocks and a few tire changing sessions. We do have some folks who do their own TB synchs and valves but somehow those efforts haven't been planed far enough ahead to invite others.

Try synching up with the local club:

http://www.tarheelbmw.org/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nctarheeltravelers/

Hi Eric.... Tech days in the Raleigh area are few and far between. Last year we had a couple folks change shocks and a few tire changing sessions. We do have some folks who do their own TB synchs and valves but somehow those efforts haven't been planed far enough ahead to invite others.

Try synching up with the local club:

http://www.tarheelbmw.org/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nctarheeltravelers/

Or just go ahead and organise one yourself....

Andy

Thanks for the welcome guys. Mileage is a low 10.5K; apparently it sat for a long time. The previous owner dropped it off at the dealership and paid for an overhaul before selling it...lucky me!

Tech Daze sounds good; where would I go to keep an eye out fir such an animal?

Also, what's the best manual for this bike? Clymer?

Wow.....thats low mileage for a '96. Thats not even broken in. Nice find thumbsup.gif. Do I dare ask what you paid?

Hello Eric and welcome to the board. Congrats on your new bike. Wow, an 11 year old bike with less than 11K miles on it. As stated earlier they are quite easy to work on really. Sounds like you and Mr. Ed will have to start a Triangle tech day tradition. I lived in Cary and bought my first house in Garner back in the mid 80's. You can find out all you need to know about your bike from the folks on this board. Since you rode it for 3 hours how about riding a little loop to Ocracoke, Hatteras, and Boone (ASU grad) and take a bunch of pics for me so I can feel homesick. Enjoy your new bike.

KB

P.S. The first farkle I would recommed is some good auxiliary lights for your bike. The front headlight on the 1100RT model definitely needs upgrading.

oopezoo - Less then $5K cool.gif

Organizing my own would be an idea but space would be a problem. I live in a townhouse downtown and I don't think the other members of my HOA would be too keen on a bunch of riders taking all the parking spots and wrenching. Could do it at my shop but space is very limited; any more then 3 bikes would be rubbin' elbows. I do have a bike lift and a ton of tools if anyone is interested in doing a mini-tech day with 3-4 participants in the shop though. Big roll up door and close to Char-Grill :D

KB - yeah, definitely going to upgrade the headlight and probably wire up one of those rear brake flasher units and maybe the full time running lights as well. Funny you're homesick for here; I moved here from San Diego 4 years ago and I'm not homesick at all thumbsup.gif

WOW is right.

You have a lot of mile left in that bike. Sold my '96 Glazier Green last October with 112,000 miles on it. What a great bike! ENJOY!

All you have to do is announce a tech day and they will come. You can limit the amount of people who attend. You are the host, right? I added Hyper Lites (rear flashers) to my bike and two sets of aux. lighting to the front for better conspicuity.

I spent 12 years in N.C. for college and work and most of my relatives live about 30 miles south of Raleigh in the Benson/Smithfield/Coats areas. My sister live in Morehead City. San Diego huh? What a small world. I have spent a lot of time in S.D. working.

Eckhard Grohe

Watch out for the high wattage bulbs, they melt the wiring. Check this before doing anything H4 relay kit. That gives the OEM bulb enough current to shine and may be able to help out with the high wattage bulbs. Have one myself. The next step is Hella FF50's on EMP brackets if you can find them.

Good move on the brake light flashers. Maybe even a light bar as the running lights at the back are pretty dim at night.

I bought a glacier green '96 R1100RT this past Friday myself. My only other BMW riding has been on the 1979 R100RS I restored a few years ago. I don't have command of the english language to describe how jazzed I am with this machine.

I bought it from the Orlando BMW Store and rode it the 300 odd miles home to the FL Keys. I felt like I owned US1.

I think I'm going to need breaks soon though and the servo thing has me a little unsure. Lots of posts on the subject here so I tread softly.

Congratulations on your '96.

clap.gif

Paul,

no servos on the R1100RT, just ABS. Brake pad, rotor and fluid changes are all pretty much as per traditional brakes on those; the R1150RT is a different story for the fluid changes but still doable by a fairly competent home mechanic

Wew!

That's wonderful news. I'm good with regular break systems. I was worried. Terrified in fact. dopeslap.gif

I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way. I sure appreciate the help.

Welcome aboard Eric. Sounds like you got a great deal. I lived in Raleigh for 12 years before moving to VA. Used to sail down the Neuse River and visit all the great outer banks spots.

Best of luck with your new ride. wave.gif

Bill

One of my favorite vacations was sailing up the Neuse with two of my buddies. I was just looking at a picture we took of ourselves while the camera was perched up by the wheel.

Well, been busy the last few days. Put a couple hundred miles on the new bike first off. Love it even more!

Ordered the upgraded wiring harness for the headlight with the built in modulator and also the blinking red LED's for the rear. Thinking about PIAA's but I want to see how much more output I get with the new headlight wiring. Honestly I think the headlight on this bike is not bad straight from the factory. It's a lot better then my 'zuki that's for sure!

Found the BMW service manual online, so that's square also. Have 12K service coming up and I think I'll bite the bullet and just drop it with the dealer. I figure it can't hurt to have a good comb over by a pro since I bought it used. I know it depends on what needs replacing, but what's the expected out of pocket for 12K service?

Archived