IGNORED

How have your opinions about different motorcycles changes over the years???

motoguy128

I've only been riding for 7 years now, but I think it's interesting how my perceptions on what makes a great motorcycle have changed.

7 years ago, there's no way I would have seen myself on a touring bike... expecially not as my only bike. It's was sportbikes all the way. I even sport toured on them, doing 1300 mile weekend rides. No aftermarket seat or windscreens. No throttle locks. You went at least 70mph, because at that speed the wind took a little weight off your wrists. I layed on the tank bag occasionally for comfort.

The bikes I thought were goofy back then like... are my favorites now. Even just 2 years ago, I sat on a R1200RT and decided "maybe in 10 years when I'm a little older".. it's too big.

Then I got married... and I guess matured a little and was able to really analyse what I enjoyed about riding and what bike fit my needs the best. Things wike turbulence, wind noise and legroom were my biggest complaints on other bikes and I find I just ride the twisties as aggressive as I used too. That little voice has grown louder in hte bakc of my head and tells me to take the turn a little slower. "lean it over, but leave some extra margin for error... 6 years ago and walked away... maybe not this time". The voice also says "my wife will kick my ass and never ride with me again if I crash".

Anyone else have that little voice in their head helping guide their right hand?

wrestleantares

I monitor my right hand with:

The Universal Ass Clinch Scale

Granted, this scale sometimes lets you know you were going too fast mid turn, but it it certainly helps regulating for the next corner.

Yea it's funny looking back but it's like the evolution of many parts of our lives. I started riding in the 60's and can remember my friends and I seeing a Harley big twin dresser with a windshield and bags and all and saying, "Geez I could NEVER see me riding one of those awful things". Many years later and I can't see how I did without those things for so long.

Yeah, how things change! I've been an offroader all my life,wanted nuthin' to do with pavement riding. My good buddie and fellow dirt rider bought an RT a few years back,and after lookin' at that stated "kinda cool lookin',but why?''

Then he let me ride it.

Well talk about the light coming on,after a 350 mile ride it was suddenly very clear to me why! Dang, I can ride all day and not feel all beat up and thrashed!

I like this!

Now I'm spoiled and just don't have much desire to go flog myself anymore.

So yeah my perception on what makes a great bike have changed!

wave.gif

There was once a time when you couldn't have given me a Harley.

But a few years ago I bought a HD Dyna crusier just cause I had never owned one. Liked it so much, I traded my RT for a Road Glide bagger.

At my advanced age, I have given up on the "sport" stuff and the Harley's suit my riding needs with more comfort. thumbsup.gif

wrestleantares

I didn't really answer your question, so:

I don't know. And here is why I say that. I have always liked big bikes. The thing is, what constituted a big bike years ago when I started riding is not what constitutes a big bike today. Now I was a step short of a touring bike such as a Goldwing, but I was still up in the big standards.

As I have aged bikes have matured with me (IMO). They have more creature comforts, more weather protection, and better everything (pretty much). In fact, the big touring bike (LT specifically) beame just a large sport tourer with great handling COMBINED with pleasurable amenities.

The LT became my perfect all-around bike. Now I am looking to something else, a different flavor so to speak. I have PRETTY much decided on a R12GS but it will be fall before I actually get one and that decision could change. I want a more visceral experience which I have lost a bit with the LT.

Anyway that's my opinion.

7 years ago, there's no way I would have seen myself on a touring bike... expecially not as my only bike. It's was sportbikes all the way. I even sport toured on them, doing 1300 mile weekend rides. No aftermarket seat or windscreens. No throttle locks. You went at least 70mph, because at that speed the wind took a little weight off your wrists. I layed on the tank bag occasionally for comfort.

Ha! Back in the mid-90's, I had two bikes, a CBR600F2 (that was my full on sportbike), and a VFR750F with bar risers, Givi's, a Corbin seat, and a better windshield. THAT was my sport tourer.

My my how times have changed. Many sportbikes after that, many sport tourers in the vain of that VFR, and now, the 1150RT is my only bike. And, I think I like it better than any of the ones before it, it does many things very well.

And, with the +1" very sport tuned Wilbers, I can hang with the sportbike guys for most of the corners.

Like Mr.Duck, I never really thought about riding a BMW. My time on the work HD Road King was what it was. Then there was this poker run and I didn't have a bike of my own. A friend offered to let me use her R1150R. I replied by saying, "I don't ride sewing machines!" Well I really wanted to go so I mounted up and rode that bike. Well after riding some 400 miles that day, I was hooked! Don't really want to ride anything else but a BMW (HD, well not for me sorry..) I got my RT just after that and haven't looked back. Funny, when I tell this story to others, I keep hearing the old saying, "Try it, you'll like it."

bakerzdosen

I wanted a CBR for a long time in the 90's. Then I wanted a v-rod after watching a documentary on how "revolutionary" they are. However, I always have had a soft spot for BMW anything. I didn't know anything about Boxers or v-twins or thumpers or inline 4's when I started looking at bikes to really buy. I had just looked at "image" up to that point (not that my purchase wasn't at least partially based on image).

But yes, the years (and research) have changed many of my opinions.

Personal story first... Starting with my '89 Harley FXR... Low Rider until earlier this year... if it was not Harley, I would not consider owning it. I went from the low rider to touring bikes. Have had a long string of them, and then for no known reason switched to BMW. Not planning to go back.

Motorcycles are more than mechanical things. They not only help us fulfill certain tasks, and therefore serve as tools... so different tools for different jobs. This is the rational part of the equation. I think the rational part is pretty small compared to the emotional part.

Having bikes, and certain kinds of bikes make us feel good. Over time that which makes us "feel good" changes.

We all carry around a model of what "good" looks like. I used to think it was a black bike with lots of chrome, rather loud, and sexy. Now I think good is a really quiet bike that looks like it is going 100mph all the time but with sophistication and class.

Models change. OBTW that is what advertising is all about... management of our perception of what "good" looks like.

When I started riding, I didn't hesitate to get on the interstate with a 250cc bike and go on all day trips to the mountains. Next, I worked my way up to a Honda CB350, the volkswagon of motorcycles, and thought I'd really arrived. It was fast, it was powerful, it was ready to tour the states. I saw one the other day and was amazed at how small it was. Couldn't believe that I thought I was some sort of "road warrior" on that little dinky bike. Of course, I was twenty back then and weighed in at about 135lbs.

In all fairness, my RT has gotten smaller and less powerful since I got it in December. Wonder if it will ever get small and dinky. dopeslap.gif

I would not necessarily say my opinions have changed but my riding style changed about 3 years ago.

I had been out of riding for 16 years in May of 1989. All of sudden it hit me one day that I had wanted a bike since my early teens but my parents objected so no bike for me other than riding my friends dirt bikes. So in June '89 I bought an 83 Yamaha Maxim 750 and 3 months later I moved to Ca. I rode the Maxim for about 3 years and decided I needed/wanted a touring bike. I was all ready to buy a Harley when I met a guy named Kelly C. from Denver at Laguna Seca who owned a K100. By the time I left the track 3 days later I was in BMW HUNT MODE. One month later in Oct. '93 I was the new owner of my first BMW. A '93 Silk Blue K1100RS which I had for 11 years and put 68K wonderful miles on it. It was sleek, smooth and very fast and I wanted fast at that time in my life. So here we are in 2004 and I decided I wanted a more comfortable seating position, more protection, and maybe even a stereo (always wanted to listen to the radio while I was cruising). I will be the first to say I NEVER thought I could own a twin after riding an inline 4 for so many years but I wanted more creature comforts as stated earlier. So I bought an 04 RT and rode it 6 months. I then test rode the new 1200 RT. It was all over after that test ride. I bought the bike on the spot and I have been happy as a clam ever since. No opinion changes just style and comfort changes for me.

When I started riding, I didn't hesitate to get on the interstate with a 250cc bike and go on all day trips to the mountains. Next, I worked my way up to a Honda CB350, the volkswagon of motorcycles, and thought I'd really arrived. It was fast, it was powerful, it was ready to tour the states. I saw one the other day and was amazed at how small it was. Couldn't believe that I thought I was some sort of "road warrior" on that little dinky bike. Of course, I was twenty back then and weighed in at about 135lbs.

In all fairness, my RT has gotten smaller and less powerful since I got it in December. Wonder if it will ever get small and dinky. dopeslap.gif

Can I relate to your story! I started out on a Yamaha 350 RD two stroke street machine.

That bike took me everywhere and at the time, I thought "in style". Twenty year and six bikes later I finally bought a bike with a fairing and a windshield,I find that I can still drive like I used to since I don't have to worry about being blown off the seat by the wind.

Philip Neff

I've been riding for 50 years. I used to think there was one perfect bike. I just needed to find it. I started with a Lambretta Scooter. I have had about 20 bikes from that scooter to an LT. I now have an R 1200RT. I recently realized I don't have that many more years to ride, so I should try one of every type bike that I haven't owned yet. They all have some virtue. That means I'm looking at a high rpm 4 cylinder crotch rocket, a V twin cruiser, and perhaps one or those new scooters with automatic shifting. (I had to shift that Lambretta.) If I'm still riding after these models, I'll try something else. '"There is no perfect bike." That's my changed opinion.

Archived