IGNORED

R12GS information

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

I've got a few questions that a test ride cannot answer. I've been reading/searching ADVRIDER forums (not signed up there, but may so I can ask a bit, but I still have some questions. I know many of the venerable BMWsporttouring members haves GS's so I have a few questions.

I am looking at the 12GS so keep that in mind:

1. Is the seat comfortable. A test ride can only tell you so much about the seat. I found it comfy for the time I was on it, but I am going to be on whatever bike I choose for hours at a time. Sure this is subjective and your experience may not equate mine, but I still want to know your opinion.

1. a. Is the low seat comfortable or is it so

thin it is a brick?

2. Luggage: I will need luggage for the bike. I like some aspects of the BMW (Keyed to bike, easy removal,the expandable nature, and BMW bags I've experienced are rugged). BUT, the expandable switch seems like it would increase the potential for leaks and add a weak point in the event of a fall. I am not super concerned about the keying issue. MY LT of course has one key but my previous tourer had aftermarket bags with a different key and that was not a hassle. What are some good big bags that still feature ease of removal, and are fairly rugged.

3. Related question to the luggage - For aftermarket luggage do I need the BMW mounts or do I get those aftermarket as well?

4. Best Touring Shield - I can certainly live with the stock for commuting, but might like something bigger that offers more protection for when the wife and I head across country.

The seat is Bad A$$, I mean Bad for your A$$. grin.gif If Sargent was a little quicker getting their seat into production, I might just still own my GS. Great bike.

Pat

1. Is the seat comfortable. A test ride can only tell you so much about the seat. I found it comfy for the time I was on it, but I am going to be on whatever bike I choose for hours at a time. Sure this is subjective and your experience may not equate mine, but I still want to know your opinion.

I found it good for about 90 minutes, then not so good. I swapped mine out for a Sargent, which I like, but I still use an Alaska Leather buttpad too, on longer rides. At 6'4", I don't know anything about low seats. smirk.gif

2. Luggage: I will need luggage for the bike. I like some aspects of the BMW (Keyed to bike, easy removal,the expandable nature, and BMW bags I've experienced are rugged). BUT, the expandable switch seems like it would increase the potential for leaks and add a weak point in the event of a fall. I am not super concerned about the keying issue. MY LT of course has one key but my previous tourer had aftermarket bags with a different key and that was not a hassle. What are some good big bags that still feature ease of removal, and are fairly rugged.

My OEM Vario cases have never leaked, expanded or not, and survived a low-speed low-side with just some abrasions. They've been more durable than I expected. But, I want more capacity, so I'm looking at these Micatech cases.

3. Related question to the luggage - For aftermarket luggage do I need the BMW mounts or do I get those aftermarket as well?

Most, if not all, of the aftermarket cases use their own mounting systems.

4. Best Touring Shield - I can certainly live with the stock for commuting, but might like something bigger that offers more protection for when the wife and I head across country.

This is almost as subjective as seats. There's a long windshield thread in the GSpot forum over at advrider.com. My current setup uses the Givi shield, Tobinators, and Cee Bailey's winglets. Not much buffeting, but still some wind blast (but mainly clean air) and noise above 75 mph. Others swear by the Aeroflow half fairing (which, IMO, is hideous).

1. a. Is the low seat comfortable or is it so

thin it is a brick?

The stock seat is crap, though it does work for some people I know. I went with a Sargent low. I am 5' 9.5", with a 30" inseam. The Sargent low is perfect. Though technically lower than stock, its wider, more built-up shape

puts me effectively at the same height as stock.

I went with the BMW vario cases because I got a great deal at Max's BMW in NH after last year's rally. If I had it to do again, I'd go with Jesses or Happy Trails. The Vario cases do indeed have some benefits that you cited in your post, but they feel like they are made of Lego bricks and the top case has had an issue where it flies of at speed.

You would need aftermarket mounts, which are MUCH stronger than the factory mounting setup.

I went with a Cee Bailey windscreen which looked great, but offered no additional protection nor did it do anything to minimize wind buffeting. If anything, it made it worse. I sold it in a month and bought a ZTechnik adjustable windscreen. It is made of much thicker material. It minimizes buffeting, and the adjust-on-the-fly thing is kind of neat, but I don't like the added complexity the articulated adjusting/support arms add to the equation. Moreover, if you have any farkles mounted above the cockpit, you lose the adjustability due to lack of clearance. Great windshield, but save a few bucks and buy the non-adjustable one.

As others have commented, the seat is crap. I can ride up to two hours. After that is hurts. I have the Alaska butt pad. It helps. I find it is also a function of the pants I wear. If I wear my Aerostich, I can last longer. If I wear my BMW Summer pants, it hurts faster. I just ordered a BeadRider pad. My next step could be a Sargent. Check AdvRider, many riders find the seat OK.

The screen causes buffeting and noise. I added the Touratech lip and it improved things sigmificantly. It will do for anything other than very long days on interstates.

I have the OEM vario cases. They work well. Howver, the case on the side of the muffler is a pity. It's way too small. It's a shame that you have to pay so much for so little additional storaage space.

The bike is awesome. For people who have only one bike, this a the perfect bike. I would like cruise control, ESA and ASC but that will wait.

Lets_Play_Two
As others have commented, the seat is crap. I can ride up to two hours. After that is hurts. I have the Alaska butt pad. It helps. I find it is also a function of the pants I wear. If I wear my Aerostich, I can last longer. If I wear my BMW Summer pants, it hurts faster. I just ordered a BeadRider pad. My next step could be a Sargent. Check AdvRider, many riders find the seat OK.

The screen causes buffeting and noise. I added the Touratech lip and it improved things sigmificantly. It will do for anything other than very long days on interstates.

I have the OEM vario cases. They work well. Howver, the case on the side of the muffler is a pity. It's way too small. It's a shame that you have to pay so much for so little additional storaage space.

The bike is awesome. For people who have only one bike, this a the perfect bike. I would like cruise control, ESA and ASC but that will wait.

I thought when you rode this bike you were supposed to spend a lot of time STANDING on the pegs??? confused.gif

Funny about the seat thing. I like the stock seat just fine. In fact, it's the only seat on the last three motorcycles I've owned that I didn't change. It's adjustable, like most BMW seats. The trick for me was to put the front of the seat in the highest position and the back of the seat in the lowest position. It takes a little shoving to get it into place, but that made a big difference.

I have the BMW cases and they have never leaked, but as mentioned, the top case mounting leaves something to be desired. What I like about the Vario top case, is that it can be mounted in the pillion position. For me, it serves nicely as a backrest when you put the optional pad on it. Feet up on the jugs/crash bars, lean back and it's quite comfortable. I believe the Jesse top case can be mounted in this position as well.

I never found the stock screen to be a HUGE problem, but I did change it out for a parabellum and have been very happy. I'm 5'8" with a 31 inseam.

I came off an RT for the GS and can't see going back anytime soon. At this point, I think there will be one in my garage for as long as I continue to ride.

wrestleantares

I never found the stock screen to be a HUGE problem, but I did change it out for a parabellum and have been very happy. I'm 5'8" with a 31 inseam.

I came off an RT for the GS and can't see going back anytime soon. At this point, I think there will be one in my garage for as long as I continue to ride.

If you weigh about 150 and are incredibly good looking we might just be twins.

I am really looking for a bike for me to really enjoy solo (though the wife will occupy the pillion at times).

If you weigh about 150 and are incredibly good looking we might just be twins.

Bingo! thumbsup.gif

And while I'm at it, some people might suggest the bike is a bit tall for guys like us. From one incredibly good looking guy to another, that is simply not true.

Funny about the seat thing. I like the stock seat just fine. In fact, it's the only seat on the last three motorcycles I've owned that I didn't change. It's adjustable, like most BMW seats.

The standard stock seat may be fine - but the low seat is non-adjustable and poorly padded. At least in my butt's opinion, it's only a notch or two better than the Harley Nightster's.

Jim VonBaden

At 36K miles, all I can say is that you have to decide for yourself what works for you.

Roam ADVRider, G-Spot, and look at the threads on screens and seats.

Many people are quite content with the stock seat, some can't lay it on thick enough about how horrible it is.

I have tried 4 seats, the Sargent the best so fer, though I have a custom Rick Mayer on order.

I also have tried a variety of screens, with the GIVI screen and Cee Bailey Wind wings as the best combination of parts for me.

See this thread for my experiences, and those of many others.

Jim cool.gif

RichEdwards

I added the Sargent seat, a Cee Bailey windscreen, and Jesse Luggage to make my GS just about perfect. The BMW luggage looks great but the aftermarket offerings are much more robust (and yes, you must remove some of the rear plastic and install the VERY beefy mounting hardware for the Jesse bags). My topbox choice is perfect for one-up riding but, since it mounts using the back seat mounting point, I must remove it for two-up riding. There are other topbox mounting options that allow for a passenger.

100393919-L.jpg

Archived