IGNORED

Motorcycles with ABS

Are12C

My girlfriend currently rides an F650ST. She's a trooper and has followed me all over the eastern side of the US on this bike, all I have to do is remember not to leave her behind.

We want to get her another bike with ABS and more oomph. We've looked at the F800 series but these bikes are longer and have a sportier riding position than she wants.

What I'm trying to find is a comprehensive list of motorcycles that have ABS (either standard or as an option) for us to take a look at.

I'll even start the list with:

BMW F800S/ST + all other BMW models

Suzuki SV650/SV650S ABS

minatophase3

I believe these also offer ABS:

Suzuki V-Strom 650

Suzuki Bandit 1250

Honda Intercepter 800

Triumph Tiger 1050

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now. I haven't seen a listing of all ABS bikes though.

Good luck.

Tim

The Honda Interceptor is a great bike but will be a bit more sporting in riding position than the F800ST. It also has a sporting torque curve, losing that ultra friendly feel that the F650 and F800 motors have.

Seems like the easiest transition would be the F800ST with bar-backs and a CalSci windshield for more protection. That way you keep the basic feel of the bike she has now with just a bit more weight and lots more oooomph. Big negative is the entry price but I feel that becomes trivial over the life of the bike.

I'm waiting for the F800GS to be created myself.

There's also the SV650 with ABS. It's a little lower than hte V-Storm or Bandit 1250, but still has wide bars and more upright riding position similar to her GS.

I'ts only $7000, so with the money you save, you can afford a flyscreen, aftermarket shock and rework the front fork to give a better ride and handling... and still be under $9000.

wrestleantares

BMW - All motorcycles have ABS as at least an option (unsure about HP)

Ducati - ST3-S

Honda - Goldwing, ST1300, Interceptor, Silverwing 600 and 400 (Scooters)

Kawasaki - Concours 14

Moto Guzzi - Norge

Suzuki - SV650S and S650, Bandit 1250, V-Strom 650, Burgman (Scooter)

Triumph - Sprint ST

Yamaha - FJR 1300

That's pretty much it.

Paul Mihalka

Ducati - ST3-S

Kawasaki - Concours 14

Moto Guzzi - Norge

Triumph - Sprint ST

Yamaha - FJR 1300

That's pretty much it.

And for 2008 a few Harleys smirk.gif
wrestleantares

Ducati - ST3-S

Kawasaki - Concours 14

Moto Guzzi - Norge

Triumph - Sprint ST

Yamaha - FJR 1300

That's pretty much it.

And for 2008 a few Harleys smirk.gif

Sorry, I said MOTORCYCLES... thumbsup.gif

I mean it was already bad enough I included scooters how low did you want me to sink.

grin.gif

If you are lucky maybe you can find a 1996 GPZ1100 ABS model with low miles. They had oomph! There was one with bags on ebay a couple years back located in CA.

There is a comparison in Cycle World this month (sept. issue) of the Honda Interceptor 800 and the BMW 800ST. Pretty good reading.

jbargenquast

Older BMW K75 & K100 can have it as an option. You can track down a low seat kit from someone if needed. My wife bought a '94 BMW k75 with ABS for $5k a couple of years ago. I used ibmwr.org to locate the low seat kit.

bakerzdosen
And for 2008 a few Harleys.
Hey, I'm less of a fan of Harley's than many here, but if you get a chance, you should read the latest (Sept? - the one with the Superduke on the cover.) issue of Motorcyclist. It talks about how "high-tech" Harley's actually are underneath the "classic" façade. I actually gained a bit of respect for their engineering dept. (Yes, they do have one and the article pokes fun at that perception too.)

The 2008 ABS system is actually pretty ingenious considering they had to work around the idea that the sensor ring wasn't an option because it's "unsightly".

Archived