IGNORED

Old R1100RT or New F800 - Help!

JBACORN

Have a 2000 RT that I do love, but I have a couple of issues with it in that I'm short and it's slightly heavy (okay, a lot heavy) for me in the parking lot, etc. Have a friend that is anxious for me to try the new lowered F800 coming out soon. He says that's the bike for me. 150 pounds lighter, 2" shorter at the seat and all kinds of power. I have plans to purchase lowering shocks for the RT should I keep it. I know my friends here on the forum will love to share, so please do. lurker.giflurker.gif

Fit and comfort on a moto is personal, so only you will be able to make this decision however, I can tell you that I know a few who already own the new F800 bikes and they love them.

Now, with the announcement of the F800GS version coming soon, that would be a serious consideration, as well.

The only way to really know for sure is to ride them and compare to what you have been used to with your RT.

Good luck!

I modified my 2000 RT with shortened Ohlins to drop seat height by about 1 1/4". This was essential, as I am very short, and would have been quite uncomfortable in certain situations. The ride and handling are excellent, and according to friends, better than the stock bike unlowered. However, the 1100 and 1150 Rt's are still very top heavy bikes and awkward at walking speed. I am told the 1200 is much more agile. I like the idea of the 800, and would be interested with a 2" lower seat height from the factory. Do you have any official information on this? I have read it a couple of times here, but have yet to see anything official. What I would really like is a 1200RT with a seat height from the factory 1" lower than the current low seat(30.7).

Have you ridden an F800?

I rode an ST at the rally. Binary throttle response in the first two gears: either on or off. Lots of vibration. Tupperware epically buzzy between my knees.

Try it, you might like it.

Have you ridden an F800?

I rode an ST at the rally. Binary throttle response in the first two gears: either on or off. Lots of vibration. Tupperware epically buzzy between my knees.

Try it, you might like it.

My wife and I just bought a factory lowered F800ST. My experience with it is very smooth power roll on through all the gears and very smooth in general. Smoother than my R12ST. I have the factory low seat on my ST and the stationary straddling height of the two bikes is basically the same. I feel a little crunched on the little ST and my only gripes so far are the spongy feel of the non-servo ABS and the heat that is radiated from the engine and into the frame of the little ST. It's a very nimble and versatile ride. I like the riding position and the mass of the big ST more, but the little ST is nothing to sneeze at. wave.gif

How about a new 1200RT?????

It's a bit lighter than your 1100 weight wise, but due to many improvements handles like it's a lot lot lot lighter.

Try one thumbsup.gif

I'm like anyone else - I love new, except in bikes. It takes soooo long to set up a bike to your personal likes. Being girlie (somewhat tongue.gif) I have finally gotten the RT to be all she can be for my limitations except in the tippie department. The best I can do for that are the shocks. Oh yeh, I forgot - she's paid for also. Shelling out another $20K for a new RT makes my liver quiver. To answer the other question about 'official' material on seat height - no. I'm seeing my dealer tomorrow and I'll ask him what he has to offer in that department, then I'll share. wave.gif

Archived