IGNORED

F 800 S or F800 ST

Bheckel169

Posted a note about finding a sportbike to ride the hills of North Carolina. I was looking for a smaller bike to enjoy instead of riding my 06 1200 RT. Had some folks suggest the Ducati and Triumph and I looked but I'm fortunate here and have some good BMW dealers nearby and thought of the new F 800 bikes. Anybody have one? What do you think and for twisties and mountainous roads, what do you think will work better? I'm not keen on the racer position as I'm 60 and prefer controlled and fast as opposed to fast and faster.

Bruce

Firefight911

Go with the F800ST.

The only difference between them is the bars and fairing coverage.

Jamie (2bmwfan) has one and absolutely loves it!! Matter of fact, she showed up here at work on it, just to say hi and show off!! Love it!! tongue.gif

The bike is very nimble, light steering, yet precise, responsive, and has plenty of power on tap.

One thing to know is that the F800's are actually two bikes. There is one that lives while cruising and touring, typically below 4000 and 4500 RPM. The other one resides above this all the way to redline.

I really can not speak highly enough regarding this motorcycle.

Since you state that you have a good dealer network, I would suggest taking a back to back test ride on them to make the final determination but, my guess, you'll pick the ST. thumbsup.gif

Of course, keep us posted and post pictures once you have her!! wave.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gif

Phil hit the nail on the head. The F800ST is a very forgiving, very nimble bike and surprisingly smooth going up and back down through the gears. Frankly, it's a blast to ride. wave.gif

Yep!! Two bikes in one! If you take a F800 out on a test ride and you ride very politely & easy (because it's someone elses bike) you will find it seems very mild mannered to the point of being blah. But if you hammer this bike... it responds very well.

I've ridden our F800S (with an Akropovic exhaust) quite a bit. Once it got over 600 miles and serviced, it seemed to loosen up and run very well. Yeeeeeehaw! clap.gif

It is a good bike that a beginner can learn on and not feel the need to trade-up with-in six months. Just learn to use what's there as you develope your skills.

The only real negative I've heard is that it is a little tall for anybody under 5' 8".

Tourning Sport BMW

Greenville SC

Firefight911
The only real negative I've heard is that it is a little tall for anybody under 5' 8".

Not disputing this, however, my wife is 5'5" AND we have the new Corbin seat. She is on the balls of her feet like that. Pretty much flat foot with the stock seat.

No problemo! thumbsup.gif

baggerchris

You can now get either with a seat height which is a combined 2.5 inches lower with lower seat and shock do dad, from Der Faktory.

I've ridden both and coming from an RT (and being 60) I suspect you'll like the ST better. It's very comfortable. While I preferred the bars on the S (more like my R12ST), I felt it would have been perfect with the taller ST windscreen.

They are really fun bikes.

I've got a six week old 800ST with 6000 km on it with Givi bags and it's a great bike. My wife and I took a six day trip on it and she finds it more comfortable than the R1150R it replaced.

From my perspective, it's smoother and handles better than the 1150 and at a hundred pounds lighter the performance is superior as well. I highly recommend it.

Ive put 4500 miles on my F800S in 3 months. I've only put 200 miles on my RT during that time.

I simply cant stay off my 800s.

My first bike was only a 500. -- A 500 VF Interceptor. So Im not sure what to call a beginners bike really. Is it a F800s, or F800 ST? I guess if you are learning to ride and its your first bike, then well - its a beginners bike!

Anyway, I think the 800 series is a real winner. Either model, you cant lose.

** but you'll want to get the aftermarket mirror extensions **

Archived