IGNORED

Ural

SOTA

I passed one of these on the road today, 1st one I have ever seen. it is a very cool looking setup. does anyone have one or rode on one. thumbsup.gif

I haven't ridden one but I've sat on them and seen quite a few on the street in Virginia. Check out their web site; they have some videos of their two wheeled drive army version going places that few others would every try. Neat web site.

Very limited speed. It would be a chore to cruise at 65 on any interstate. I have a 1981 R100RS/EML GT3. These kits came out of the Netherlands and are built for highway use. It still hard to Interstate it. Sidecars are a special purpose second or third bike to own and use very little. All advantages of motorcycling are lost and only the cool factor remains. I love my EML, but it does sit around alot.

EML15.jpg

EML16.jpg

Pack your own dropcloth....these things leak from the factory.

I read a recent article indicating that they're addressing some of those issues as well as user some newer tech. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years comments like that won't apply.

I think they're cool. If their reliability rating go up I could see myself with one in the future.

saw one last week in Port Angeles Washington it had a side car and was painted in camo. looked like a WWII bike...pretty cool looking but dno;t know how reliable.

Cheers

strat

We rented one on vacation last year and had a great time with it!! smile.gif Enjoyed it so much we returned to the States & set out to buy one.

A reality check reminded us riding around country roads in France at a leisurely 35-40 mph wasn't the same as crusing local freeways in Texas. Top end speed is very limited.

Still, you do see them around and the "fun" factor is hard to ignore.

http://www.imz-ural.com/ To see some different model URALS.

]

Francois_Dumas

Will be test-riding one next month probably. With exactly that 'use' in mind: riding back roads in south of France once we move... No, wouldn't want to travel on it, the RT is made for that!

baggerchris

Jovial Henry from this board has an older model and rides that thing everywhere and treats it like a dirt bike, even with the sidecar. He has no leaks and has had no problems, and says the "sweet" spot on it is right around 55-60.

I don't think it can be stressed enough that top speed is limited. Like dragging a parachute limited.

I'd love to have a gear up 2WD model for off roading and stuff anyhow. One of those things I keep eyes peeled for- good used 2wd Ural for cheap...

That and the sidecar is snug. I was hoping the wife + dog would fit in there, but no way.

Paul Mihalka
Get some sidehack training if you buy one. RoadRunner magazine publisher Christian Neuhauser died in an accident in NC after he lost control of his Ural.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/4729351/detail.html

Please, anybody who is considering driving a motorcycle with a sidecar, get serious formal instruction and training BEFORE doing it. A sidehack rig is NOT A MOTORCYCLE and NOT A CAR. I can give you several names of good experienced motorcycle riders who got into serious accidents because they thought they know how to drive it. The controls are the same as a motorcycle, but that's about it.

Let me give you just one very rough example. With a sidecar rig you normally steer like a car. Turn steering left it goes left, turn it right it goes right. OTOH when you lift the sidecar, which is normal and you will do, intentionally or not, it becomes a motorcycle. You make it change direction by countersteering. Enough... Just learn it. If you know what you do, they can be a LOT of fun...

You can purchase these things rather cheaply but the Ural as stated is a slow 750 cc machine...Check on EBAy and you can sometimes get a good deal on a sidecar setup...

6a65_1-418x315.jpg

I got this 2000 ultra classic with 10,000 miles with sidecar and power tilt for less than 17,000

This on I purchased for less than $3500.00 and rebuilt it..

IMG_0456a-433x314.jpg

baggerchris

When our Son Tanner was born in 1978, I put a sidecar on my chopped Shovel Head Harley. Tessie; Tanner and I went all over heck and gone and never had less than a grand time. I always carried 100 pounds of weight in it if no one was riding with me to keep the wheel down. Plus, it was a great way to carry an ice chest full of beer! As I remember the car was a "Spirit of America" with torsion bar adjustable suspension. It was sweet. What wonderful Memories!

Urals are nice in a quaint sort of way. The Ritzier versions have nice interiors and finish.

I've got an old Ural chair on an 80/7 with a R100R engine in it. Plenty of power for US roads.

The limitations Urals have to speed should be respected or you'll find youself riding home in a U-haul wondering where you'll get it fixed. Sidecars are fun though in a strange sort of way. Wifey does not like when I slide through left handers or fly the chair in right handers.

Be prepared for people wanting to pull you over just to talk about your rig. Old men in gas stations will talk your ear off of 'back when' and they had or saw one.

Best part is getting back on a solo bike and feeling like your really leaning in a turn! wave.gif

I have a 2006 Ural Gear Up - The Camo 2wd model, and absolutely love it - but not as much as my 2 year old yellow lab - He thinks it's HIS bike! He thinks he's a Rock Star, wearing his goggles and getting his photo taken at every stop-light...

I wouldn't take anything for mine and it has given me 0 problems. It definitely does take a bit more tinkering, much like an older BMW but I enjoy that too.

What everyone else has said about sidecars is spot on...Get some training, keep at least 50lbs in the trunk, early on, and take your time...I have had more close calls on this bike during the last 2 years than in my previous 35 years of riding 2 wheelers...BUT, what a Blast! I would highly recommend one to anyone who is thinking about a 2nd or 3rd bike...I have 3 other bikes to ride when I feel like being able to keep up w/traffic...They ride best around 50-55mph, but the can be driven around 65, but they get kind of busy...A lot more work than a regular bike at those speeds.

Hope you get one!!

They use to sell a camo one with a machine gun mount!

Everyone needs a machine gun mount. grin.gif

We all know a machine-gun mount is much better when a machine-gun is mounted in it! It's getting close to deer season! grin.gif

They use to sell a camo one with a machine gun mount!

Everyone needs a machine gun mount. grin.gif

We all know a machine-gun mount is much better when a machine-gun is mounted in it! It's getting close to deer season! grin.gif

Is that "Deer" season or "Yes Dear" season lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I had a 1998 Deco Classic. I sold it and got a 1967 R60/2, for a more dependable machine. I'm told that the newer ones are more reliable, but mine was towed too many times. It was a lot a fun, and I still Side-hack, but stay away fom the older Urals.

Archived