IGNORED

My first Beemer

jobrazy

Hi guys,

I have been researching alot lately and it comes down to a Beemer. I just can't see myself on anything else. I race bicycles, which are amazingly close to the cost of a new 1200RT, (a hell of alot lighter!)and I love the R1150/1200RT series style...

So the questions:

1150RT or 1200RT?

New or used?

I have yet to ride any of them - just drooling and planning to this weekend.

I have been reading alot - I love the shape of the '96-'2000 RT's, but I have been leary of getting a bike with 45K miles on it - even from a BMW dealer.

I would love to hear from some of you folks to guide me to the ultimate purchase.

Thanks,

Joel

45K is nothing to be scared of when looking at a used RT. I'd suggest taking many test rides and going for the one that speaks to you the most. Give a GS a try while you're at it.

If a shiny new 2007 R1200RT isn't in your future, get a nice used R1100RT until it is. Most BMW's just settling in between 40/50,000 miles.

I purchased my 2000 w/90,000 miles on her .Runs great I have just about 7000 miles since .Just installing a Zumo GPS and waiting for a Mayers seat . Dave

1150RT or 1200RT?

Both great bikes, but most people who have experience with both, and most reviewers, will tell you that the 12RT is significantly better in nearly every way. (I say most people, not all.) I rode both when I decided to sell my previous K11LT, and it was no contest. I bought the R12RT and have not regretted it for a minute.
Hi guys,

I have been researching alot lately and it comes down to a Beemer. I just can't see myself on anything else. I race bicycles, which are amazingly close to the cost of a new 1200RT, (a hell of alot lighter!)and I love the R1150/1200RT series style...

So the questions:

1150RT or 1200RT?

New or used?

I have yet to ride any of them - just drooling and planning to this weekend.

I have been reading alot - I love the shape of the '96-'2000 RT's, but I have been leary of getting a bike with 45K miles on it - even from a BMW dealer.

I would love to hear from some of you folks to guide me to the ultimate purchase.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel, as stated, no need to worry about 40K on a Beemer. Still there are a ton of RT's out there with far less.

I bought a 98 RT just under 13K with lots of goodies for $6495.00.

I'm looking at a 94 RS with just under 4K for a friend for $6995.00. Also a 2000 RT with 20K for about 8K.

Put on the search, wait long enough, you'll find one.

Triathlete & cyclist here...

Go used for you first Beemer. It will help you decide what you really want and you won't cry for 2 days if you drop it because it's not new anyway. Compared to the sportbikes I had before and a bicycle... all BMW's are heavy machines... it's not hard to drop it. I dropped my R1150R in a gas station.

BTW- you defnitely classify as a hardcore cyclist if you have over $10,000 in a single bicycle and atually use it. I know it's possible.... but I thought just rich lawyers or doctors bought them to hang on the wall.

Hi GUys,

Thanks for the great response! I really appreicate it. I figured that BMW had it more than together - I have been to the plant in Munich and have seen the tech center (I have a client there).

I found a 96 RT for $6K with 34K miles on it close by (searched the internet all night!!) - all bags. Beautiful bike and I am going to ride it this weekend and then hopefully go for it. I am looking forward to catching up with you all on the raod. I will be the one with the big smile - and a bicycle atttached to the back!

THanks,

Joel

Hi GUys,

Thanks for the great response! I really appreicate it. I figured that BMW had it more than together - I have been to the plant in Munich and have seen the tech center (I have a client there).

I found a 96 RT for $6K with 34K miles on it close by (searched the internet all night!!) - all bags. Beautiful bike and I am going to ride it this weekend and then hopefully go for it. I am looking forward to catching up with you all on the raod. I will be the one with the big smile - and a bicycle atttached to the back!

THanks,

Joel

Weeeeee!!! Joel fill out your profile a bit more. Like to know where you are and who you are. In case we want to come to your area to ride. Then we have a place to stay, we know the good roads, we can eat your food, drink your beer. Just kidding!!!!

Welcome to the club, great folks here, lots of good advice. Even some bad advice. If they've put up with me this long you'll be fine.

a bicycle atttached to the back!

Works for me smile.gif

(Mid 90's Diamondback/03 RT combo)

Good luck on your Bemmer procurement quest.

Kestrel 50 cm Carbon EMS w/Record 10 components-17# built up (here)

Bought a '96 R1100RT w/24K on it, outside of the trans problem, it is a great bike. Husband has '96 R1100RT w/48K and has had no problems. Look for a 1100RT w/more than 30K on it. The 1200RT are too tall but I'm inseam challenged.

Hi GUys,

I found a 96 RT for $6K with 34K miles on it close by (searched the internet all night!!) - all bags. Beautiful bike and I am going to ride it this weekend and then hopefully go for it.

Joel

I bought my 1996 RT with 36K on it. Bike now has 51K and runs great. Check into replacing the Hall Effect Sensor as they need replacing after this many years. Not hard to do yourself and cost for a rebuild is around $150.00 with exchange, or you can rebuild them yourself. It is really the only glaring weak link on the older RT's IMHO.

if you can find one try an rt-p.they might have some miles on em but were very well maintained.and you can usually get them for about 60% of what you would pay for a civilian rt.i love mine to no end.

I'll add another spin to the miles question. How many miles are you planning to put on it? How many years do you keep bikes and how many miles a year do you expect to ride? If you only keep a bike for a couple of years, I wouldn't worry about buying one with 40 or 50K on the clock. If you keep bikes forever and expect to put over a hundred K of your own miles on the bike, then I suggest starting with a lower mileage bike.

To follow up a little more on the topic of mileage on used bikes...

I have only owned three BMW bikes. The first one I bought new and put 175,000 miles on with no issues. The second I bought used at 50,000. I put about 20,000 on it with lots of mechanical issues. The third I bought nearly new (800 miles) and it is now at 88,000 and still going strong.

I realize that a sample of one doesn't say anything about what will happen to others. And I probably should have realized that the middle bike had potential issues. But I was too eager to buy and overlooked obvious evidence of abuse.

My point though is that if you are going to put a lot of miles on a bike, it is worth paying extra to get one with a lot of miles left in it. If you are only looking at 10 or 20 K, lots of middle aged BMWs have that and more left in them.

Archived