IGNORED

R1200RT versus R1200GS

jbim

I currently owned a 2006 R1200GS. I just love the bike. I think it's very versatile. If I can have only one bike, this is it. However, I may be looking for a reason to add another bike to my garage. In particular, I would like to have a bike that would be more suited for two-up riding and would have more creature comfort for my wife. The Goldwing comes to mind as the ultimate touring comfort bike. However, i find it big. I am lurking more towards the R1200RT because I like the weather protection, the cruise control, the heated seat, the ESA, the ASC and all the other gizmos my GS does not have.

I would like your opinion on how different or redundant these two bikes are and whether the RT is a better two-up bike than the GS.

Any feedback will help

Thanks

Rocket_Cowboy

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Before buying my RT, I debated back and forth between the GS and the RT. For me, the decision ultimately came down to creature comforts, and the fact that I didn't expect that I'd be riding off-road more than on, so the off-road oriented nature of the GS was a little more than I was ready to step up to. Otherwise, it's the same basic engine, same basic bike ... just different bodywork, handlebars, and wheels.

I would own both in a heartbeat, plus an R1200S, and an R1200R for Cass ... if money were no object.

While the RT and GT are different bikes I wonder if they're also too similiar. If you want to stick with BMW I'd suggest considering either a newer K12GT or maybe look at an LT. Variety is the spice of life but there's more to life than two curry blends.

I guess we'd be puzzled as to why you don't think the 1200GS is a good 2-up bike? Add heated seats, add an intercom, has more pillion room, better ground clearance, better maneuverability, better mileage...

We've put 1000s of miles on ours 2-up, all smiles!

If you are one of those hard core Boxer fans then buy an RT.

If you want the comfort in something a little different then you might consider a LT.. I sure prefered it over my Wing.

That said, and the 06 GS gone, I am a RT fan. It can be sporty with the bags off and a shorty screen and a tourer with luggage and a proper sized windshield.

Kinda hard to go wrong with any of the choices that you have, including the GS..

Well I have been thinking about your "dilemma" for a few minutes and I think I have come up with your solution. First of all sell your GS. That's right bye bye GS. Then you decide if you like the RT or LT better. My choice would be the RT. Then you purchase the one you like and then you go and buy a Suzuki V Strom 650 for dirt and fire roads. Now you have two different bikes of which both are very capable in their own right. One for two up touring and the other for off road use. Probably put a few thousand in your pocket with the sale of the GS vs. the cost of the V Strom. Ahhh that was easy and you made money on the deal. How great it that?

I went to the dealer to trade in a R1150R and KLX250S for a R1200GS last weekend. I rolled out with a R1200RT. It was too comfortable for the wife and me to pass up. It just had my name on it. WIth all hte electronic stuff and great motor and handling, I was willing to trade in the dirt roads.

I test rode the RT & GS back to back. THe GS was a hoot to ride and had a nice exhaust note and snappy accleration compared oteh RT. But I saw the GS as a second play bike that's fun to ride occasionally, but not for long distance 2-up comfort.

I haven't regretted the decision yet.

I'll put it this way. With the RT was crusing at 60mph and it felt like I was going 30. The road felt as smooth as glass. My wife was wiht me, but not on top of me. The seat felt soft but not mushy. On the GS, my wife was sitting above me right on my back, the road had lots of inperfections that I could feel, the wind blast made 60 feel like...well 60, and that seat was firm. I was disappointed. IT was much less refined than I expected. It was more like a cloth top Jeep Wrangler and I was expecting a Land Rover.

KentuckyBlue

I went to my dealer intent on buying an RT. While I was looking my wife yells at me from across the showroom floor. She's sitting on the back of an LT, saying "this is the one!" So we got the LT and we absolutely love it. It's a personal thing....the LT just fit us better. Since then, I found a 2002 RT-P that I got as my "run-around" bike. Get what feels right. Good luck.

Ray

I know exactly what you are saying about the R12GS. I rode a friends a year or so ago and while it was a lot of fun in the twisties I was not happy with the wind blast since I was used to my R12RT. I am glad the RT worked out for you and you are right about going 60 and it feels like 30. Enjoy your new found friend.

P.S. The poster after you bought an LT. Whatever works right?

Archived