IGNORED

Kawasaki Versys 650

beemerboy

I like this bike. It's not like I need another one but after seeing one at the local multi-line dealer I've found myself trying to justify the purchase.

It's not what I would call a multi purpose bike like the GS but it looks like it's well built and a lot of fun.

Has anyone here test ridden or purchased one??

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? grin.gif

I was just talking to a friend who bought two - one for himself and one for his young lad. They took a lengthy trip, and he is very impressed. He is a consumate motorcylist of the most serious kind, and owns an RT and a GS as well, not to mention a RC51. If he likes it, it must be good. He was saying that he now wonders when he will use the beemers.

.....He was saying that he now wonders when he will use the beemers.

That kind of sums up my feelings. I tend to ride the RT only on long trips. I spend most of my time on the KRS or the Duc and both will be the death of my driver's license if I keep doing what I've been doing.

The Versys appeals to me because it's a small engined bike that looks like it could do most anything. I would add that having just seen a BMW 800 with a list price of almost $16K I'm starting to develop an anti-BMW mindset.

I'm leaning towards simple, cheap, and fun. thumbsup.gif

Last I heard the Versys wasn't available in the US, only in Asia, the EU, and Canada. Has that changed?

Nice bike, nice niche.

I'm leaning towards simple, cheap, and fun. thumbsup.gif

Sounds to me like you've justified it; when will it be in the garage?

Last I heard the Versys wasn't available in the US, only in Asia, the EU, and Canada. Has that changed?

Nice bike, nice niche.

Yes.

I agree, it's seems like it could be a winner for Kawasaki. They have some nice farkles for it too. Good first write up in the August '07 Cycle World.

Nice bike, nice niche.

I just read in Cycle World last month that it will be available in the US starting with the '08 model line up. The guys at Cycle World loved it also. Here is a link to the article

Cycle World Article

ShovelStrokeEd

The Versys appeals to me because it's a small engined bike that looks like it could do most anything.

Funny that, back when I started riding, a 650 was considered a "big" bike. Today's batch of 550/650 motorcycles would kill any of those old stoves in any contest you care to devise. Back then, an optimistic 40HP was all you needed.

I sometimes wonder if it isn't still true. The bike I'm riding right now has 4X that power and, most of the time, I still only use about the same 20-30 HP. Of course, then I get to twist the throttle and the grins begin.

the real hope and mentioned possibilty (by a kawi exec) is that platform will produce a true dual-sport model w/ spoked wheels & engine/exhaust protection.

lightweight multi-cyl dual-sports are the wave of the future and kawi has a great platform to start and compete against what will be a heavier/more complicated/and by bmw history less reliable 800gs. abs is not out of the question.

I just checked out this bike and it looks pretty darn cool. When I saw the name I thought it was some type of cruiser. It looks like it is very capable and would be a lot of fun to ride. The Kawasaki website says that it is not available in California. What gives?

I just checked out this bike and it looks pretty darn cool. When I saw the name I thought it was some type of cruiser. It looks like it is very capable and would be a lot of fun to ride. The Kawasaki website says that it is not available in California. What gives?

They probably took a page out of the ZRX-1100/1200 playbook. Maybe it'll get here next year?

Baba_ORiley

The Cycle World article (link posted earlier in this thread) says that the last minute decision to sell the bike in the US meant "there wasn’t enough time to re-tool the gas tank and fit the evaporative-canister plumbing that California (and only California worldwide) requires."

So, there you have it. Unique CA rules keep it away from that state.

BTW, lots of good photos with the Cycle World article.

Sounds to me like you've justified it; when will it be in the garage?

As soon as I can find a way to pay for it AND find room in the garage. For those who've not seen this beauty here's a photo I shamelessly borrowed from another web site:

Res1.jpg

.......Funny that, back when I started riding, a 650 was considered a "big" bike. Today's batch of 550/650 motorcycles would kill any of those old stoves in any contest you care to devise. Back then, an optimistic 40HP was all you needed.

I sometimes wonder if it isn't still true. The bike I'm riding right now has 4X that power and, most of the time, I still only use about the same 20-30 HP. Of course, then I get to twist the throttle and the grins begin.

Back in '70/71 a neighbor had a Suzuki Titan 500. My God I thought that bike was a behemoth that could take me around the world. The other bike I lusted after at that time was Honda's 450 scrambler. All those warm, fuzzy feelings lasted until the day some guy rode into a the local gas station aboard a metallic blue Norton 750 Commando. I watched him fill it up then happened to be standing about 15' behind him as he started it up. I still recall the puffs of exhaust hitting my face even from that distance, the incredible exhaust note left an indelible image etched in my memory.

I'm with ya when it comes to that throttle twisting thing though. I still have that need for speed and when the chance arises, like when I'm out in the midle of no where, I like to open up the KRS. I don't think I'll ever get over the rush of suddenly seeing the trees along the road side becoming a blur.

For some reason I seem to have a soft spot for a mid-sized twin. I keep looking at old Yamaha 650's (a nostalgia thing) but want something I can ride every day. That's where the Versys comes into play. I'm going to watch this bike and track its progress in terms of reliability and future advancements like ABS. If the future looks bright I'll most likely snag a used low mileage unti when the time is right.

Time to start saving my pennies.... bncry.gif

the real hope and mentioned possibilty (by a kawi exec) is that platform will produce a true dual-sport model w/ spoked wheels & engine/exhaust protection.

now thats what im talking about, need it by this fall so i can comfortably plan our inuvik run...

PS: mr kawasaki can you put bmw style signal light switches on it too? its so much easier with snowmobile gloves... grin.gif

Sat on one at the dealer in Chattanooga, TN. I like the fit and and the overall appearance. I have my doubts about the dual sport nature of the bike with 17" sport touring tires on it. I think they are shooting for the same market as the Tiger 1050 and the Ducati Multistrata. The bike was sitting next to a V-Strom and it looked sportier that the V-strom.

Alan

Archived