IGNORED

RT1100 to RT1200

yempaul

Any folks did the switch from RT1100 to RT1200? Any personal comments? Things that you like and that you don't? The temptation is killing me now. I just need enough to convince the wifey. bncry.gif

Just made this post to an 1150 owner. The same is applicable to 1100 owners.

If there was anything you did not like about your 1150 BMW pretty much fixed it when they designed the 1200. 12-15 more h.p., 43 lbs. lighter so it is not top heavy, no more pull to the right when you turn the throttle while sitting at idle due to counter balancers being used, actually flickable in the turns now, saddle bags that will hold a full face helmet, cruise control, 7.1 gallon tank (300 mile range),cruise control, heated seats if you want them. The only thing you will need to upgrade for the most part is the seat, shocks, and maybe the windscreen. One 20-30 minute test ride was all it took for me to make the change from my 04 RT to the 05 RT. So far I am loving this bike and I put 14K miles on it last year. I have not ridden this many miles since 1994. Try it and I bet you buy it. I would add one thing; buy a used 1200 (05-07) and save yourself about $5000. Enjoy the search when convince your wife.

1200 clearly superior to the 1100. No "surge", No PTR, headlights!, better passenger ergonomics, better under seat storage space for various farkles, better fuel mileage (regularly exceed 50MPG up to 75MPH), better stock seat (I've been able to do a 1200 mile day on it where I could never manage a 700 mile day on the 1100 stock seat.), side bags fit helmets, large trunk can hold my tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, Kermit chair, and still have room.

Better mechanical access for maintenance, reduced maintenance requirements and costs.

Better reliability! Plenty of 20-30K+ mile 1200 series out there with only a small fraction of the problems which were encountered on low mileage 1100s (transmission input shaft splines, final drives, throttle cables, etc...)

Downsides:

Servo Brakes. Mixed +/-: I dislike the added complexity as well as the virtually non-existant braking available in failure mode. I have experienced no failures to date. The brakes are VERY effective at high speed with low lever pressures applied.

Question is....how much does it cost over there?

Noel, you'd be surprised. It works out to about $US30,000 based on current conversion rates. Now, the lady of the house thinks i'm nuts to fork out that much for a new ride. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Currently there's only about 12 pieces on the road. The GS1200 is more popular here in Singapore.

The 2007's I believe have a revised braking system. That's what I have and I love them. Normal braking with the engine off, and they were a little grabby at first, but they've either broken in or I've gotten used to them. I test rode once a R1100S and didn't like the power assisted brakes. I haven't riden a pre-'07 R12RT.

SO far I can't really tell any difference from my R1150R without ABS and my R12RT except they are more powerful, with less effort.

I will also vouch for the headlight as well. Excellent! First bike I might not even bother with aftermarket superwhite bulbs. They are brighter than any car I've owned. They might be aimed a little high for a passenger but I haven't been flashed. I'm typcially lighting up signs for the cars in front of me from 100 feet back. Why don't all bikes have headlights this good? I even notice that cars see me better in the daytime. I notice cars seem ot think I'm closer and are not turning in front of me even if there is room... when before on my 1150, they would have most likely turned.

I would add one thing; buy a used 1200 (05-07) and save yourself about $5000. Enjoy the search when convince your wife.

kethb, like I mentioned, There's only 12 pieces on the road in Singapore right now and we don't have a large pool of BMW community unlike in the US and I'm pretty sure no one is selling used RT12 yet. So a brand new is the only option for me right now.

Seat still sucks. Heated or not. I put a Sargent on my 1200RT the first week just like I did on the 1100RT. Side cases can now be opened on the bike with out falling off like the 1100RT. They should of designed the 1100RT this way in the first place. Feels taller than the 1100RT. Bad for me because of short legs. My legs touch the ground but are still too short. wink.gif Every bike I have owned has been too tall for me. I got over that a long time ago. More gears and better shifting along with more power and less weight can only be a good thing. I don't like moving the bike around with out brakes fully working when the motor is off. Just leave the key on. The SO likes it better and that can't be a bad thing.

Abraham

$30 grand for a new bike? My heart would certainly want it but the practical part of me would say that $30K for a bike is WAAAAYY over the top. My next option would be to investigate importing one but they may tax you just as much get it into the country. Hey maybe we can garner enough support from the members so each one of us will mail you a piece of the bike. You know one wheel this week the other one next week, fender here fender there. Probably wouldn't take more than a month or two to get all of the pieces to you. We would leave all of the fastners in place so you could assemble it pretty quickly. What do think? Will it work?

The R1200RT is a great bike. It is not a 30K great bike. I would keep your R1100RT. You have a nice bike and money right now. Don't throw 30K out the window. I would wait and see if something shows up later on the used market.

Better reliability! Plenty of 20-30K+ mile 1200 series out there with only a small fraction of the problems which were encountered on low mileage 1100s
What forum have you been reading? Lately it seems like we can't go a week without a new hexhead 'something's wrong' thread...
Better reliability! Plenty of 20-30K+ mile 1200 series out there with only a small fraction of the problems which were encountered on low mileage 1100s
What forum have you been reading? Lately it seems like we can't go a week without a new hexhead 'something's wrong' thread...

I stand by my statement. (I've been reading this forum since the 1100 days.)

What is the position of the Singapore government on importing used motorcycles?

You might be able to save some money by traveling to America, buying a new bike, ride it for your vacation, where you could get your farkles and see all kinds of things, and then take it back to Singapore.

What is the position of the Singapore government on importing used motorcycles?

You might be able to save some money by traveling to America, buying a new bike, ride it for your vacation, where you could get your farkles and see all kinds of things, and then take it back to Singapore.

I really never thought of that. But i reckon it won't be easy ... Something to research on. Anyway what's the price of a brand new RT1200 in US?

Heck, if you don't have the time to vacation in California (best motorcycle roads in the U.S.) maybe a dealer could just ship it over to you for a fee. Check out your import rules and tarifs, taxes, etc.

US Prices are around $17000-$21,000 depending on how it's equipped.

For that kind of price, I don't need a second opinion in buying. There's only one big BMW dealer here so the reason in price hike. US$30,000 is lot more than what you guys are paying over there . But i'm still thinking.

Does S'pore have the exceptions for students to import their automobile after college upon returning home? I know M'sia does. This would save you on tariffs and a lowered tax bracket. Just offer to pay for that students airfare home. That would only be about US$1K. I think he/she will also have to have owned the vehicle for at least a year in order to do this.

Good luck.

Couple of questions for you...

Do you like the look of your bike? And did you buy it because you were attracted to it? Do you still like to ride it?

Now....

Do you like the look of the 1200? Did that attract you or is it simply the "newness" and extra technology, hp etc that attracts you?

I for one don't like the look of the 1200. It hasn't grown on me one bit.

Yup! The technology, motor etc. etc...all good but the bike just doesn't move me in the least.

If it is just for newness and tech, better to save your money, keep your RT and continue to enjoy riding it.

Just an observation is all thumbsup.gif

"I even notice that cars see me better in the daytime. I notice cars seem ot think I'm closer and are not turning in front of me even if there is room... when before on my 1150, they would have most likely turned. "

sounds very modulator like. course we all know modulators don't work!

Couple of questions for you...

Do you like the look of your bike? And did you buy it because you were attracted to it? Do you still like to ride it?

Now....

Do you like the look of the 1200? Did that attract you or is it simply the "newness" and extra technology, hp etc that attracts you?

I for one don't like the look of the 1200. It hasn't grown on me one bit.

Yup! The technology, motor etc. etc...all good but the bike just doesn't move me in the least.

If it is just for newness and tech, better to save your money, keep your RT and continue to enjoy riding it.

Just an observation is all thumbsup.gif

philby, yes i agree with you on the outlook. I still prefer the full side fairing on the 1000 & 1150 but i'm most impressed with the improvements they've made on the 1200. I'd still go with it if i can get a used one with the right price.

Almost pulled the trigger on this one myself but the times just not right. Here ya go:

2007 RT

The question would be shipping.

Easy... Fly there, ride it home. Have a listing of all BMW dealers along the route just in case.

Almost pulled the trigger on this one myself but the times just not right. Here ya go:

2007 RT

519 miles on the clock. You think they did the 600 mile service? Or, you buy it. Ride it around the block and then bring it back to have it serviced for $1,000.

$1000 for 600 miles service? I hope not. I was quoted about $250
Alas, I've been known to exaggerate. dopeslap.gif

Just pointing out the irony that the clock of a dealer demo bike would be just short of the 600 mile service. Regardless of the cost, hope the buyer negotiates that as part of the deal.

Robt_J_Webster

Hope that you have better luck with the Singaporean government than I have been having with the Thai government. I bought a 2000 R1100RT when I came to Spain for a job 1+ year ago, and have been jumping through all kinds of hoops with the government trying to get permission to bring the bike home. Possible to get BMWs in Thailand from Japan that were parted out, the re-assembled, but they are not legal and you can't get the proper papers for them. I have made it clear that I don't mind paying the import duties and whatever else it takes to bring the bike in legally, but there has been a lot of resistance so far. The BMW dealer in Bangkok basically told me to get lost when I asked for some assistance. He has a monopoly, and doesn't want to see it jeopardized. Haven't given up yet!!

Archived