IGNORED

Furthur Discussion Required K12GT or R12RT?

hopz

Suppose you could choose between a nice '03/'04 K12GT, or an also nice '05/'06 R12RT- each in low miles, with good equipment etc. Money is not the issue.

Which and Why?

Data point- I love my '98 12RS. It is fast, smooth, but (will) take a good bit of maintenance, ergos are ok but not great, weather protection is ok not great. It is a fairly intense bike.

The mission is casual riding in the mountain west. Occasional longer tours. Think of it as all 2-up. It would be an exception to solo. I am not a Boy Racer type. I'm an Old Fart- I like my comfort but enjoy a spirited ride. I enjoy doing my own routine Maintenance.

Horns of a dilemma.

(p.s. this is a cross post, also on the K-12 board.)

With "casual" as the key word, I'd take the RT with it's more upright seating position, easy valve adjust, and it's comfort. No if you had said to "casually get there as fast as possible..." grin.gif

I recently moved from a KRS to an RT. RT wins on ergos. KRS had electric smooth power that I lusted for. The RT won't win any power contests. It has adequate power. I never needed more power with my KRS riding two up. The RT needs to go down a gear or two when riding two up to do the same kind of hauling. RT is lighter and you feel it. That said, I'm still thinking about my KRS/GT. To me (here we go again) it seems more fun on the open road (triple digit fun that is)

When I saw your post, I thought you were referring to a comparison of the current model K1200GT to the R1200RT. I have a 2005 R1200RT. I have not ridden a K1200GT, but I have sat on them in the dealerships. I felt uncomfortable with the seating position that caused me to lean too far forward on the handlebars. This makes your wrists buckle and your hands go numb. The foot pegs are also further back on the K1200GT, so this makes the lean even more exaggerated. I thought if I could put bar risers on the handle bars, bring the footpegs forward and get a more comfortable seat, then this would be a decent bike. But wait a minute, if you did all of those things, you'd have a R1200RT. I am biased because I ride a R1200RT, but after just sitting on the K1200GT, I know it is not for me. I will keep the RT.

I've owned an 03R1150RT, 03K12GT, 03R1150GSA and a R1200GSA. I've spent enough time on an R12RT to know what it's about. While I loved the pure and smooth power of my K12GT in your position I'd probably go with the R12RT.

One key assumption is that the ergos of the R12RT work for you though.

For me my GT was more comfortable BUT the RT has greater fuel capacity/range which to me is a major plus. The R12RT also cooks along a bit better in the corners and has more suspension travel.

With that said... Which one makes you drool?

I just rode a K1200GT for the first time today. Granted it was a short ride, but initial impression was "smooth and powerful." My opinion (FWIW) - GT for 2-up touring, RT for 1-up and occasional 2-up touring.

On the other hand, I also rode a Ducati HyperMotard today - What a hoot! clap.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

Honestly, I think you need to test ride both and see which bike "speaks" to you.

The 03/04 KGT is a different animal from the current model KGT. While the 06/07 KGT has all kinds of power advantage over the current RT, I don't think you'll find the difference to be near as great between the 03/04 KGT and the current model RT.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to ergos/comfort, which bike fits your physical build best, and which bike fits your riding needs and goals.

Besides, part of the fun for me with bike shopping is getting out and riding as many different specimens as possible!

ShovelStrokeEd

Given your statements that most of the riding will be 2-up and you are a "casual" rider, I'd say go with the RT. Passenger accommodations are far better on the RT, although the K isn't bad. This would not be my personal choice. I much prefer a more sporting riding position for touring but, nearly all my riding is solo and, when I engage in spirited riding, the ergos of the KRS/KGT allow me to move around more on the bike and have better control.

My current bike is quite similar to a KRS in its seating position and seat to bar and seat to peg dimensions and I find it ideal for all day comfort. I find no issues with weather protection either as the same bits get wet first, outside of arms and shoulders, outside of legs. Eventually, it all gets wet anyway.

Suppose you could choose between a nice '03/'04 K12GT, or an also nice '05/'06 R12RT- each in low miles, with good equipment etc. Money is not the issue.

Which and Why?

Data point- I love my '98 12RS. It is fast, smooth, but (will) take a good bit of maintenance, ergos are ok but not great, weather protection is ok not great. It is a fairly intense bike.

The mission is casual riding in the mountain west. Occasional longer tours. Think of it as all 2-up. It would be an exception to solo. I am not a Boy Racer type. I'm an Old Fart- I like my comfort but enjoy a spirited ride. I enjoy doing my own routine Maintenance.

Horns of a dilemma.

(p.s. this is a cross post, also on the K-12 board.)

Why don't you rent a R1200RT for a weekend and see if it suits your needs??

Ridden all 3. Great bikes but the RT seems better suited for me...and triple digits?? No big deal....but I always obey the laws in each area I visit. wink.gif

Honestly, I think you need to test ride both and see which bike "speaks" to you.

The 03/04 KGT is a different animal from the current model KGT. While the 06/07 KGT has all kinds of power advantage over the current RT, I don't think you'll find the difference to be near as great between the 03/04 KGT and the current model RT.

I'll have to speak up and disagree with this one. I just came from a '99 K1200RS to an '06 R1200RT. If you just look at specs, there isn't much difference between the horsepower ratings of the bikes. (10% more about on the K1200). However, it the K1200RS (the old one) just has this smooth power that pulls at almost any RPM in any gear. You can be lugging it, roll on the gas and it just *goes*. The engines are worlds apart. I miss the engine power when I'm riding the RT.

That being said.. I *really* LOVE the RT ergos, handling and features. It outhandles the old K1200 and the ergos are just wonderful. On a weeklong trip, I would come home on the K1200 and felt pretty "beat up". I don't feel that way on the RT. As much as I miss the K bike engine, I still like the RT more.

I haven't ridden a new K bike yet, so I can't speak for that part...

I thought about also test riding the GT, but I was out voted by the wife. She felt there was more legroom and a better seat on the RT. I think she also likes he better wind protection and the feel and sound of the boxer twin. The cam chain and counterbalancer make a cool whirling noise. Inline 4's always have a lot of valve clatter.

Lets_Play_Two

"She felt there was more legroom and a better seat on the RT. I think she also likes he better wind protection and the feel and sound of the boxer twin."

How does she know without the test ride? grin.gif

We sat on one in the show room and the fairing is clearly smaller... so I made an reasonable estimate on that one.

I kinf of wish I had test rode one, but the legroom and overall feel just sitting on it didn't seem right to me. But I was used ot my 1150R and a KLX250S dual sport. I've learned to like a more upright riding positon and wide bars. 2 years ago comming off a ZX9R, I probably would have taken the GT.

Lets_Play_Two
We sat on one in the show room and the fairing is clearly smaller... so I made an reasonable estimate on that one.

I kinf of wish I had test rode one, but the legroom and overall feel just sitting on it didn't seem right to me. But I was used ot my 1150R and a KLX250S dual sport. I've learned to like a more upright riding positon and wide bars. 2 years ago comming off a ZX9R, I probably would have taken the GT.

My wife and I test rode both while switching from an 1150RT. Clearly everyone is going to feel differently. My wife who is 5'11" was more comfortable on the GT and I had no trouble with the bars or riding position. I am 6'4" and my knees hit the fairing on the RT, not so the GT. Of course she then decided to get her own. grin.gif

Another consideration we had was foot position since we both have big feet... mine are bigger than hers! (she makes me add that)

R12RT is my choice.

03-04GT would be 2nd choice.

06GT would be dead last, behind even the LT and GS..

I have owned all 5 and I prefer the RT.

But.. Which do you want the most. A good ride is the true test.

RichEdwards

As a former R1150RT owner, I saw just a minor difference between it and the R1200RT after a test ride. The GT, however, is a whole new ballgame. It's the best sporttouring bike available (in my opinion.) As others have indicated, take a test ride.

Archived