IGNORED

Thumbs up, but thumbs down

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

Went out on a search today for a used bike for fun and wife usage.

While dealers were really out - as they charge too much - my wife wanted to sit on a Ninja 500R that they had to see how it felt.

Lo and behold - on the floor sat a brand spanking new C14 with ABS. I looked at this gorgeous machine with lust in my eyes. My wife was gushing over the bike as well.

Then came the big surprise. My wife told me I could get it.

But no, this does not turn into a picture thread. I cam home without it. When my wife told me we could get it I looked at it like a bike I would buy, and for me at least the beauty faded fast.

I probably have the ugliest LT that is actually roadworthy, but the C14 was just not the bike for my wife and I. Because:

1. Uncomfortably tippy. Yes, I do ride a big ole LT and I am STILL saying the C14 was uncomfortably tippy.

2. Missing too much. No heated grips, no cruise control, no stereo. Sure, I can add them (at least the heated grips - and probably some aftermarket CC), but they are not there now.

3. Mounting and comfort for my wife. That rear seat was harder for her to get on and the passenger pegs and side bags contested for her leg space.

4. Plastic rear rack assembly. I read of one guy breaking his and so I gave it a good tug. It felt cheap, and I would hate to mount a case there and have my wife mot think about it and lean on it.

5. No test ride. Sure it is a 14K bike, but BMW lets me test ride any model I've ever asked about.

So, no new bike. I'm going to stick to my plan and wait at least another 6 months to a year.

Although none of the Kawasaki dealers in SLC allow test rides, some of the rural dealers around here do.

Maybe you should start calling dealers until you find a test ride.

14K. Add a stereo, heated farkles, cruise, power goodies and in no time you could buy a BMW. It seems like the new Kawasaki is a hot or cold thing after the initial lust wears off. Good job about saying NO after the wife gave the OK. Did you get that in writing with a raincheck to use later? lmao.giflmao.gif

It was a lot more than just a matter of a test ride for me. Just not my bike.

Just was trying to help.

I don't think it's my bike either. Seen 2 now, one on a showroom floor while looking at helmets. Sat on it. Other on the road last weekend, spoke to owner, who is a beemer kind of guy.

Sit: Controls/layout seem kind of out dated - not sexy. Bike seems heavy, no cruise control (a personal must), reached same conclusion as blkvlvt, by the time you outfit, you might as well have your beemer.

Talk with owner: Only 450 miles on it, still limited to 4000 rpm. Likes it. Has RT at home, wife is on an 1150RT, travel companion is on an older beemer, don't recall what. Members of Beehive Beemers. Impressed that this long time beemer rider likes it even though he can't open it up yet.

Conclusion: I don't think it's for me, but a test ride would be fun, especially if the bike is broken in and can be run out a bit. That said, I'm thoroughly satisfied with my R1200RT, and really can't see any trades soon in my future.

Enjoy the hunt for your new ride!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

There's a guy on the local forum that bought one. He says the heat coming through the fairing is thumbs up when it's cold out, and thumbs down when it's hot. Apparently many owners are already stuffing in their own insulation. This was a problem with the early FJR's too, yes?

Archived