IGNORED

Thanks Jamie - Best $800 Bucks I've Ever Spent

WBoyter

I supposed to get my wheels back in the morning. When we met back in March I remember how emphatically you emphasized that I should get the extended warranty. I did a few weeks before the bike purchase was a year old(at the beginning of May), and it was extremely sound advice. When I got back from Alaska on the 24th of June, I knew that I had a short list of maintenance items. Good thing that I had the warranty working, though it has been a frustrating month.

What I paid for:

Regular maintenance, which includes new plugs, valve adjustment, oil change and will probably cost me around $300.

What the extended warranty folks are paying for:

New dash with the computer connections that control the speedo/odo, etc, and a new ABS sensor. I think that I damaged it on the Haul Road in Alaska with all the gravel, but turned it in anyway. $1400 for the dash, don't know yet about the ABS.

What BMW itself is paying for under what the dealer's service manager is calling a 'goodwill' part -

A new final drive assembly. Part alone is $1600. He said that he called them and complained that this is the second bike he's had that problem with, and that for it to be completely crapped out with only 54k on the clock was unacceptable. How much of that story is sales-talk I don't know, but at least it's going to be fixed.

I returned home from AK on the 24th of June, turned the bike in on the 26th of June - and that's the last day I've ridden. Long month...

Thanks again, big guy. I owe you a beer the next time I pull through SD (sooner than you think).

helmetNPS.gif

russell_bynum

I'm sorry that Jamie's advice on this turned out to be good advice...but I'm glad you took it.

eek.gif

Paul Mihalka

Glad the bike is all fixed and back on the road. For the dealer to get the "good will" warranty from BMWNA he really has to work with them talking to the right people and filing a lot of paper. BMWNA does not give it easy.

Rocket_Cowboy

Great meeting you this afternoon! Also good to see you got your wheels back and can get back to scratching that itch.

Good meeting you at the BMW Motorcycles of Dallas Dealership today!! thumbsup.gif

Have thoroughly enjoyed your posts & accompaning pictures!!

Ride safe & often.

I am officially rolling again! The dash module for the controls has been replaced. That's the plexi/plastic bubble that all the display is encased in. The ABS sensor and wiring has been replaced, the entire final drive assembly has been replaced. I'm out of pocket $400 for the regular maintenance, BMW and the extended warranty folks are splitting $3,700 and some change. Me and Charlie checked out the shot parts. Pretty ugly. There is a good side though...

thumbsup.gif Glad to be of assistance and it was great to meet you! I just figured a high mileage rider like yourself ought to cover all that fancy technology. smirk.gif

Looking forward to hearing about that "good side", too! smile.gif

It's through a third-party.

Mine's through Interstate-Star, and I bought it from Lonestar BMW in Austin. Jeannie Lippincott is the lady in finance that I spoke to about the warranty. I didn't buy the bike there, and didn't have to get it serviced there either. Since I bought the policy before the one year anniversary of the purchase of the bike, the warranty is considered for a 'new' bike. I got the 72 month 'Diamond' coverage (which translates into: everything except rubber, oil, brakes, lights), with no deductible. I don't intend on keeping the bike that long, but figured that the extended warranty would help me sell it later.

The final cost was $861.

If you're interested, her phone number is (512) 451.7979.

Well, the 'good' side is that I'm totally tempted to sell the bike, especially since I washed it for the first time since April and the new odometer only read '4' when I picked it up! Seems that the software isn't updated for that yet!

Rocket_Cowboy

I'm telling ya ...

"Adult ridden, low mileage RT for sale. Babied since new, the wife is making me sell it in order to buy her a new minivan. Apparently 'do whatever you want' didn't mean I could buy a BMW."

Then go get another one. smile.gif

Archived