IGNORED

Suggestions for new ride

Todd_Z1

My 2006 K1200S is in the shop for the second time for repair/replacement? of the transmission. The transmission has already been replaced once under warranty. The service writer handed me a numbered communique from BMWNA US "5389373-01 Gearshift noises in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear." It goes on to to say that this is basically normal and under the Measures section that replacement of the transmission and clutch components does not provide a solution and will not be covered under warranty. My bike is difficult to shift smoothly, is noisy, clunky and it appears the clutch is slipping because it squeals. It has 28,000 miles on it since July of last year. I asked the shop owner to personally ride my bike and look into this issue and I believe he has a great deal of influence with BMW. I hope BMWNA and the shop owner can provide a solution because I really like this bike. In any case, if this does not work out this is prolly my last BMW because I have had problems with every one (Three) that I have owned. In the event that this does not get resolved quickly and to my satisfaction, I am asking for suggestions on a replacement motorcycle. Here are my criteria:

(1) Must be shaft drive

(2) Must have over 200 mile range on one tank.

(3) Must not be a dual sport, cruiser or full dress tourer.

(4) The Honda ST1300 is out. (Numerous issues with this

bike)

(5) I would like something that is more sporty than tourer

but it should be a solid and comfortable touring bike,

in example 400 to 650 mile days.

(6) Must have a maintenance interval of 12000 miles, not

6000 miles. I ride over 3000 miles per month.

The short list so far:

Kawasaki ZX1400

Honda VFR (Not sure if this has a shaft or chain so it might

be out)

Yamaha FJR1300

Cheers!

Todd

Firefight911

Todd,

That sucks!!!!

Knowing you and how you ride thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif, I would be hesitant to jump to an FJR only because you are going to find clearance issues with the pegs VERY quickly.

Jury is gonna be out on the new Connie for a bit as there just aren't enough of them.

What about the Buell Uly? Belt drive.

If you can find your way past the chain dilemma, there would be the Triumph Tiger of the Sprint ST?

Modern chain technology has truly come a long way.

This sucks and I feel for ya. Keep us posted on what happens!! wave.gif

Todd

How is it going? Based on how you ride, and I have seen you, I think you only have one option at this point and that is the Concours 14. It has the power, which I know you like, bags, range, and maintenance schedule. I have been trying to find one in the dealerships here in SoCal but as of 10 days ago there were none in the Orange Co. dealerships yet. Go test drive one and let us know what you think. I hope your tranny issue gets resolved to your liking.

Todd,

How about a rocket ship? The speed should be about right and there will be no tranny issues at all. Fuel might be difficult but the range should be very good.

Bruce

Why must it be shaft drive???

Chains have come a long way.

No final drive issues and trannies seem to last longer.

Why must it be shaft drive???

Chains have come a long way.

No final drive issues and trannies seem to last longer.

I'm with Todd on this one. I left BMW after 15 years for a Triumph Sprint ST. Love the bike but lubing a chain after riding 500 miles a day on a trip seems archaic. Just seems with technology the way it is, a chain seems outdated. I may be coming back to BMW because of the chain issue.

Let me think, lube the chain once a day takes 15 seconds.

Worry about a transmission or final drive failure takes me the whole trip.

Buy a Japanese Bike and go ride it.

Spend the left over money on good scotch for your friends tongue.gif

I rode close to 100K on my K bikes and never had a final drive problem.

Maybe it takes 15 seconds to lube a chain, but after 10-12 hours on the road it's 15 seconds too much. Additionally, every time you lube the chain, the lube gets all over the tire and wheel.

I'l grant you it's much cheaper.

Outpost,wave.gif

I LOVE THAT MOTTO GUZZI! ! ! I completely forgot about that brand. I actually saw one in San Francisco about a month ago and could not figure out what it was, now I know. Of course on the other hand finding a dealer and parts would really be a problem. But still, lovely bike.

1BMWFAN,

The Sprint is definitely on the list as I forgot about that as well. Not much power though. Still the BMW dealer and Sprint dealer are one and the same and I really like my dealer.

Whip,

I grew up, so to speak, on chain driven bikes and hate the lubing, just plain flat hate it. I hate lubing chains so much that I gave up dirt bike riding because of it. grin.gif

KeithB,

I saw a KZ1400 on the highway last week and it really got my attention. They are much nicer looking than in the photos.

Cheers!

Todd grin.gif

TracerBullet

Todd,

I was in a similar boat as you are a while back. Not the big issues that you are having but multiple small ones thatnever could seem to get resolved.

I spoke to people on this board who gave mme unbiased opinions that I trusted.

After that, and further research I purchased a new FJR.

After about 500 miles I could not be happier with my choice.

I do not see how you could have issues with the peg clearance. On a cruiser yes but I would think you would have to get waaay over befor you would scrape.

hope this helps.

if you are looking for info try www.fjrforum.com

I talked to the dealer this morning and BMWNA authorized the replacement of the clutch, which was not done when the tranny was replaced as it looked good at that time. He did validate the squealing noises and the dragging clutch. The owner said he will ride the bike after the work is done and see where we are. Hopefully I will have it back by the end of next week. I would really like to keep this bike but if they can't fix it then se la vie! I really don't think it is too much to ask BMW to provide a solid transmission. The transmission on the FJR is silky smooth.

Sal,

I have ridden the 05 FJR, my friend has one and we swapped bikes for half a day. It is a solid bike and from what I have heard Yamaha fixed all of the issues that the owners complained about, heat, suspension, gear indicator to name a few. I rode that bike for 150 miles and by the end of the day I was draggin metal parts but even so it is still on the short list.

As for the rocket dragster it meets all of the criteria accept comfortable touring and having to refuel every quarter mile. smile.gif

Cheers!

I hope you mean the GTR1400, the ZX is a real sport bike.

If so I agree the GTR1400 and FJR1300 are the BEST Japanese SportTourers. Even though the FJR is a little lighter, I think the new GTR1400 is a considerable upgrade. Better features all around. Just road one at my local dealer and there is no doubt this will be my next two up Sport Tourer.

Erik,

Yes it is the original clutch.

Cheers!

Sorry to read of your continuing drive-train woes tongue.gif

Is this the original clutch?

A new (working) clutch will do wonders for the drive-train.

Mine went out sometime just before 6k.

Tranny is still clunky in the lower half though tongue.gif

Archived