IGNORED

New to everything...looking for some advice

Jnphil

Greetings all,

I am new to the forum, new to Colorado and new (motocross years ago) to biking.

I'll start by saying that I tried a search and while I'm sure the information is out there, I didn't have any luck in finding it.

I am looking at different brands/sizes/options of bikes and would appreciate some advice.

I am 6'1" about 190lbs and would like to find a good sport tourer. My plan is to do some touring in and around the Rockies for some weekend getaways, as opposed to a daily driver/commuter. I do enjoy some competitive driving (Porsche Club and NASA racer) so I want something that will fun, nimble and reliable as well as comfortable on 3-5 hour rides.

I have looked at the F800 ST, the K1200 series and talked about but not seen the Ducati ST-3S.

For a new rider, in the mountains that likes a bit of sport what recommendations do you have? What things should I be considering before the purchase? Is the 800 going to do the trick in the mountains or do I need to go up in size?

Appreciate your help. I'm sure that this has been asked a million times so if you can point me to those threads I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff- taking into account the type of riding you like I suggest taking a long look at the Yamaha FJR. You seem to be performance oriented, and I'd think you'd find the boxer twins on the sedate side.

The K bikes might be a little pricey for a guy on the entry level. A FJR will deliver a solid punch at a good price.

Jeff

Welcome to the board. Congrats on getting back into biking. Since are a re-entry rider I would recommend a MSF course to start. I like the recommendation on the FJR1300. I would also recommend a K1200RS from say 2002-2005. Sounds like you like sporty so this would definitely give you that and the ability to tour without spending a whole lot of $$$ to get back into m/c. I would not rule out a R1200RT. They are a hoot in the mountains in 3rd/4th gear and will pull like a son of a gun. Ergo's are good and you can easily ride 400-500 mile days with a good seat. I would also look at the new Concours 14. It is brand new so you may want to wait a bit and see what new owners are saying about it. Good luck and have fun shopping.

Welcome,

Consider the R 1100 S as an option.

Add bags, voila. thumbsup.gif

It sounds like you're riding solo?

So passenger needs are secondary?

VFR? Lotsafolks like 'em.

Price range?

K 1200 RSport cool.gif

Previous generation K bikes RS/GT bring a lot to the table.

Best wishes.

We're about the same size, and I find my older RT a great sport/tourer. However, given your location and your off road experience, I would look at a 1200GS. You can "on road" or gravel road it and it handles like a sport bike without the peaky powerplant. Just put on the panniers and maybe a taller windscreen and tour on it. I've seen 2005's out there for around what a F800 goes for new. I'd rather have the GS.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

If you should decide that you would like a K1200RS, I have one that is for sale, or should I say that it will soon be available? Tons of power.. good ergos.. fast as lightning.. good price.

You should absolutely test ride the R1200RT, the K1200GT and the F800ST. Most bmw dealers will let you ride. We were not able to test ride an fjr, and that figured in our decision against that bike. The R1200GS that has been suggested may also appeal to you.

The R1200RT is what we have and it is great sportTOURER. The K1200GT is a great SPORTtourer. The ergos are very different, as are the power plants. Ride 'em.

Cruise control is important to me on a sport touring bike. So far as I know only bmw offers it.

Ride safe and +1 on the msf course!

All good suggestions above. I'm happy with my Triumph Sprint ST if your interested in a "sporty" ST. (Chain instead of shaft is the only negative.) Much more nimble than a K1200RS. Triumph Tiger is also getting rave reviews.

Good luck!

+1 on the MSF Course. Harley Davidson Riders Edge puts on a pretty good school out here. My wife liked the T3RG classes available at most of the dealers as well.

When it comes to the bike, Give a look at the K1200RS model. They are not terribly expensive by BMW standards. A VFR is an option too and a bit more sportier, but I had a VFR for a while out here, and found it lacking in the power department once you headed to the mountains.

The K1200R/S will fit nicley too, but if your new to the sport (or have not been riding for a long while) you might want to find something that is just not so stupid fast. I personally find the S pretty close the speed of a Hayabusa or ZX-14, but what you gain in comfort for the touring part you lose in handling. Not to mention the price on these bad boys, even used is still more than double what you can by most 600CC sport bikes for.

Welcome..and if your ever looking for someone to ride with, give a shout, I am typically riding every weekend the weather out here permits.

I've had a bunch of different rides. Also I've ridden a slew of different bikes. They all have their pro and cons.

I dunno, something about BMW twins. I've done a fair amount of miles on K bikes. Nice, but something about twins. Yeah, I have a 98 R1100RT and I'm sure the newer bikes are a bit better. However, I can see myself rideing my current bike for a very long time.

I've had friends that were BMW fanatics. They bought a different brand and eventually went full circle back to Beemers.

Keep in mind, if you cross over you may never go back. Or you may and come full circle wondering why you did.

BMW's? I can't put my finger on it. One of life's mysteries.

Can you imagine that? The ranting's of an old man. I think I'm taking this whole thing way to seriously! lmao.gif

Nevermind!

Maybe it's left over 60's stuff or listening to my avatar to much! lmao.gif

Getcha a BMW whatever and be done with it!

I do think the 800 while being a great bike, will eventually make you wish you had mo biga.

sebjones906

I am going to take a different tact. You have been out of the loop for some time. Your skill levels are not what they were when you rode MX. The bikes described are all great but they are not starter kits. Park you ego long enough to Re-Learn what you have forgotten. Buy a $3K used midsize beater and put some learner miles on it then buy one of the killers listed.

Owning a HD and riding with HOG, (in addition to riding with BMWers), we see people all the time coming back to motorcycles thinking that the skills they had 35 years ago on a Yamaha DT1 will serve them on a full size sport-tourer with their wife on the back.

IMHO take classes and Re-Start like you never knew anything. Start over and work your way back up.

Best of luck

........... we see people all the time coming back to motorcycles thinking that the skills they had 35 years ago on a Yamaha DT1 will serve them on a full size sport-tourer with their wife on the back.

IMHO take classes and Re-Start like you never knew anything. Start over and work your way back up.

Best of luck

What's the matter with a DT-1, Sam? grin.gif....

DT1Wheelie2.jpg

Good advice.....Get some professional training first and consider buying a smaller, cheaper bike initially...That will give you time to learn about, and maybe ride, some of these fine bikes being recommended and make a more considered decision....

Phil........Redbrick

What's the matter with a DT-1, Sam? grin.gif....

DT1Wheelie2.jpg

Good advice.....Get some professional training first and consider buying a smaller, cheaper bike initially...That will give you time to learn about, and maybe ride, some of these fine bikes being recommended and make a more considered decision....

Phil........Redbrick

The only thing missing on that DT-1 is a "Flying Fin" front fender flap. (the one that looked like it was giving the finger.) That's good stuff and now I feel really old. If you bring up a Rickman Matisse "Bultaco" picture, I'll be really impressed. thumbsup.gif

Well thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am definitely doing the riding course. One that a dealer suggested was wheels in motion. 15 hours over 3 days on their bike. You leave with your license. Seems like a great way to go.

I would probably prefer to find a nice used or demo bike, something a couple of years old that will hold it's value for resale next season. I may even see if I can do some longer term rentals of different makes and sizes to get a better idea of what my needs/preferences will really be.

Signing up for the saftey course for the week of the 13th...shopping after that! thumbsup.gif

If you have leads on a good ride, let me know...

Thanks again,

Jeff

thumbsup.gif For having the frame of mind to get back into riding in a slow and controlled manner.

My only advice... test ride, test ride, test ride. Try the GS, RT, and GT and pick which one feels best. I was originally going ot buy a GS, test rode an RT & GS bakc ot back and picked the RT.

bakerzdosen

I'd recommend (no bias on my part... noooo, none...) that you take a look around for an R1200st. I've seen a few around for just over $10 or $11k.

Of course, this one wouldn't be bad either...

Hey Jeff,

another +1 for the Triumph Sprint ST... the newer('05+) models are great all around bikes but you can also find older ST's out and about in the Denver area fairly cheap and it's still a wonderful bike. I put 20k miles on an '02 ST riding all over Colorado... now days I ride a BMW R12RT which is also good but a pretty big bike.

my wife recently took up riding after taking an ABATE/MSF class and she picked up a Ninja 650R, which has turned out to be a wonderful starter bike that also has enough power to keep her happy longer term.. but I dunno how well your frame would fit on the 650R.

best of luck in your bike hunt and enjoy the class.. hope to see you out in the front range canyons pretty soon clap.gif

Archived