IGNORED

24-hr R1200RT Rental / Test-Ride: First Impressions (K1200GT?)

ElJefe

So I've been lusting after a R1200RT for a year or so, and it's starting to become a very real possibility. So I thought a test ride of longer than 15 minutes would be a much better determinating factor in buying a $20K bike.

So I just finished the best test-ride in history: I rented a 2005 (2006?) R1200RT in Denver & rode several hundred miles of 2-up riding through the Rockies, stayed overnight in Grand Lake, then rode a couple hundred miles back, both on the twisties as well as the superslab.

I was convinced this was the bike for me, but now I'm having reservations! Why?

-Much less power than I expected. Sure, I could go down a gear or two and find some eventually, but some of my passing the semi's on the mountains sure took some planning. (I'm 280 & my SO is 155 - plus we had overnight gear in the saddlebags)

-The mirrors totally suck. Unless you like to look at my fiancee's knees all day (not bad, except we were in ATGATT). I adjusted them several which-ways & got improvement all the way up to "bad".

-Handlebar vibration was worse than expected. My throttle hand actually went numb for a while - which it doesn't even do on my KLR650 Thumper! Thank God for BMW cruise control - I'd use it to stretch my throttle hand once in a while. Not comforting in the mountains!

-The display panel was hard to read in the daytime. OK, this is a nit.

So, after this test ride I stopped by BMW of Denver & looked at both the R1200RT & the K1200GT. The K1200GT riding position seemed much more comfortable than I remember (maybe this one was adjusted more to my liking?) and my SO reported her position seemed the same. After 2 riding days on the R1200RT, I figure these are some pretty good comparisons, but not as good as following it up with 2 days on the K1200GT (which was not available in the rental fleet). Plus the mirrors were a ton better.

So I've seen many "K1200GT vs R1200RT" posts on this site, and it seems pretty evenly split on all accounts - comfort + and -, reliability + and -, vibration + and -.

So I guess my question is: Based on my observations on the vibration & power, is the K1200GT really the bike for me over the R1200RT?

Help!

The mirrors do suck when loaded up with gear and SO. The fix is to use the K1200RS mirrors on the handlebar mounts. Bolts right up. Remove the stock mirrors and add two more speakers for surroundsound THX. lmao.giflmao.gif

Just kidding about the speaker part......

Love my K12RS.

Sounds like it is power you need/appreciate. You will be very pleased when you crack the throttle on a K12. And that throttle hand will not be asleep either.

No radio. I suggest an equal investment in a GT before making a big decision.

I wasn't going to get a radio anyway - ipod &/or XM is more my speed, through my Zumo & Autocom or Baehr.

Now - if there were some way to rent a K1200GT, I would. But I know all I'll get is 15 mins on it at the dealer.

So if I'm saying comfort is OK, it sounds like you're saying vibrations are better? I would lose the slick tank bag mount, but that's OK. I know the power is a bunch better. I'm thinking for someone my size, that's important (435 lbs with me + SO)

Jeff, check around with different dealerships. The BMW dealer in Loveland/Fort Collins is very generous with their demo bikes - I was able to go out for a couple hours on the 12RT. Hopefully you can find a dealer with a similar policy in Texas... or plan another trip to Colorado! clap.gif

Also, remember there's a fair bit of difference in the power a bike will produce at sea level (Texas) and up in the Rockies (8K ft and higher). The bikes will run fine at altitude, but at 9,000 ft (a moderately high section of highway as many passes are 10K to 12K ft) the 12RT only produces around 80 HP - a 27% drop based on 110 HP at sea level and 3% loss per 1K ft of elevation gain. Or to put it another way, if you're going to be spending most of your time riding at or around sea level, the 12RT should be much more responsive... But so will the KGT thumbsup.gif

Good luck with you hunt!

Greg

Jeff

You can rent K12GT's at some dealerships (Vegas for sure). If I were you and you are thinking about spending $22K for a bike I would take it for an "extended test ride", say an hour, and beg forgiveness when you get back. I am sure I would get "caught up in the moment". I don't advocate this usually but $22K is $22K. I have a steadfast rule before buying any bike. If I can't ride it I don't buy it. That is my bottom line. What are they going to say? Better to beg forgiveness than ask on the front side and be denied. Remember the $22K figure. If you buy one the test ride goes away real quick.

Aluminum_Butt

Based on my observations on the vibration & power, is the K1200GT really the bike for me over the R1200RT?

Based purely on these two factors, I'd have to give an emphatic YES!

The wind/weather protection is a bit less on the GT. I'm guessing the GT seat is less comfortable (but the aftermarket seats are finally coming out now).

Out of curiousity, I checked the max load (max permissible weight - dry weight) on both bikes. They're nearly identical at 597 for the GT and 586 for the RT.

Don't forget the new Kawi C14, $13,800 with ABS. I love my 2006 GT and drink the BMW cool aid, but $8k is $8k. You won't get ESA whch is worth every penny, or some heated options, and it weighs 55 lbs, more... I think you need an extended ride on the GT to decide for sure, but I think you'll love it.

So how did the bike handle in Rocky Mountain National Park? I rode my R1150R 2-up through there from Estes Park to Grand Lake and back in Late May (Heated Vests are the only way to go) and enjoyed the way back when weren't any 4 wheel road blocks.

The GT would definitely be a sportier ride and have more power, but for me the wind protection, legroom and overall comfot outweigh the "character" of the boxer engine. The buzziness seems to depend on how well the TB are synched and also varies bike to bike, so don't let that keep you away.

But if you can live with less wind protection and almost 2" less legroom. Go for it!

I need to demo ride the GT some time for comparison. Maybe at my dealer's open house nest year.

Yes, I am saying vibrations are better. I previously rode an Oil Head and as the very long thread over in the oil head section of this forum makes perfectly clear, the opposed twin engine has an inherent vibration- and unfortunately this occurred (for me) just were I liked to ride it.

The K1200 engine is a four cylinder jobber laying on its side (low center of gravity). It is smooth as butter and the transmission is snick/snick up and down. It does not have the clunkyness my R1100R had.

A lot of the buzzyness of the R-bikes can be tuned out, with a good throttle body balance, and good valve adjustment, but it will always buzz somewhat.

A large number of guys on this forum do not mind it, overlook it, or actually seek it out... (just kidding). For a completely biased opinion also post over at the k-bike.com forum: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

OBTW- I did not hear you say you were looking only at the 07 models. The K1200RS/GT bikes are among the best buys on the market today, and used ones are available and fairly easy to find.

You cannot go too wrong with either as they are BMW's....

So how did the bike handle in Rocky Mountain National Park?

Did great. The suspension was soft, but I expected that...got kind of squishy on the switchbacks, but I was taking it easy since it was a rental. Definitely would need a shock upgrade - like the aftermarket custom Works shock *with* ESA! clap.gif

But if you can live with less wind protection and almost 2" less legroom. Go for it!

The wind protection on the RT wasn't enough for me as it was - I sit *very* tall in the saddle & the windshield wouldn't go up high enough - easy fix tho. What other parts are out in the wind on the GT?

As for the legroom, I really couldn't tell much difference when sitting on one bike in the showroom & then sitting on the other. Honestly. Strangely enough, I did think I saw a difference in sitting comfort when trying them on back home. But after the 24-hr RT test ride, they seemed the same. Go figure??? confused.gif

What I *really* need is a back to back comparison ride of at least an hour or two each. When I have $$ in hand, and know I will buy one of them, I'll sweet-talk the folks at my dealership. The parts people know me by name & the bike folks know me by face real well - I should be able to pull it off... I hope!

Definitely sounds like your ready for a test ride. I'm tempted to demo a GT next weekend when I go in for my first service if they are a little slow or taking someone else out for a ride. I'm curious how smooth the K motor is.

Definitely sounds like your ready for a test ride. I'm tempted to demo a GT next weekend when I go in for my first service if they are a little slow or taking someone else out for a ride. I'm curious how smooth the K motor is.

RT

YB120.jpg

GT

180px-Legs.jpg

bakerzdosen
RT

YB120.jpg

Man, I haven't seen or thought about Yellowbeard in years. Didn't specifically recognize the legs though... smile.gif
I need to demo ride the GT some time for comparison. Maybe at my dealer's open house nest year.

Why wait for next year? Gina's BMW is what, about a 2.5 hour ride from Keokuk? But give the 12RT a chance too smile.gif

Gina's is only about 1-1/2 hours. I'm going back this Saturday for my 600 miles service. They will do it on a Sat. while I wait... which is great since it's a 3 hour round trip.

I just don't want to waste the saleman's time doing a demo ride when I have no intention of buying. Maybe since I just bought a bike they will be a little more generous.

While I'm waiting for the service to get done, I'd love to borrow a bike to make a Starbucks run. Maybe I can grab a GT.

Off topic, but Gina's BMW seems to be very good about managing inventory... and there were no LT's at the dealer, or their off site warehouse. Could this be a clear sign of a MAJOR redesign comming for the LT in '08? I'll have to ask while I'm there. I was considering test riding an LT just for comparison.

quote Also, remember there's a fair bit of difference in the power a bike will produce at sea level (Texas) unquote

Heyyyyyyy! Less of the sea level you cheeky bugger grin.gif

We got hills and mountains in Texas...... thumbsup.gif

Archived