IGNORED

Not hypothetical question, what would you do?

Green RT

I am going to Mexico this fall for 2+ years. My employer specifies that I cannot take my 1999 RT with me. Why does the employer dictate this stuff? That is a long story and not the point here. The question is: Should I sell the RT or store it for when I return? It has 87000+ miles on it and has had no problems so far. My son is willing to keep it in his garage, so storage is not an issue. My inclination is to sell it and buy a used 1200 RT when I return. What would you do?

I am going to Mexico this fall for 2+ years. My employer specifies that I cannot take my 1999 RT with me. Why does the employer dictate this stuff? That is a long story and not the point here. The question is: Should I sell the RT or store it for when I return? It has 87000+ miles on it and has had no problems so far. My son is willing to keep it in his garage, so storage is not an issue. My inclination is to sell it and buy a used 1200 RT when I return. What would you do?

Quit! wave.gif

Quit! wave.gif

I can't do that. They are not paying me enough to quit. I am going to spend two years with the Peace Corps.

I'd sell it as mentioned and buy a new ride when you return. In two years there should be some interesting new machines on the market, of course they will be expensive. eek.gif

Quit! wave.gif

I can't do that. They are not paying me enough to quit. I am going to spend two years with the Peace Corps.

Cool Will, thanks for doing that.

I guess my question is. If you sell it now would you get more for it than if you sell it when you get home? I dunno, maybe sell it now put the money in something where you can't get at it till you get home then getcha a new one?

It probably will not appreciate, but it may not depreciate too much.

However, when a bike sits that long, there may be issues.

If you sell it, invest the money, you'll have something to put towards your new one and you won't have to worry about the bike while your gone.

What ifs?

Someone steals it?

Someone rides it and is in an accident?

Someone damages it?

Will you carry insurance?

What if the storage space is no longer available?

On the other hand...

properly storing a bike, when you return you'll be greeting an old friend.

Have a great time with the opportunity.

Kudos for your service to the Peace Corps, Will.

As for the bike, I would sell it and buy a newer one when I got back 2+ years later.

Think of a bike as a depreciating asset, and consider two scenarios:

Store your old bike. This asset depreciates, and you'll come back to something less valuable.

Sell your depreciating asset now. Save the proceeds and draw interest, so you've got an asset that appreciates instead of depreciates. Meanwhile, during your stay in Mexico, your neighbor Joe Blow has a newer bike that depreciates, bringing its price down. When you return, you buy Joe's depreciated bike. You end up with a newer bike with fewer miles so that you can enjoy it for more years, and you didn't put out any more cash than in scenario #1.

Will,

First, good for you and the Peace Corp service. What will you specifically be doing there? How's it connected with your employer?

As for the bike, I've seen it and you should have NO problem selling it (especially with that great color!). Don't know WHEN your headed off, but you're in the peak bike selling season. I do find it odd that your employer can dictate what you can or can not use as a personal vehicle (assuming you're picking up all the expense).

Good luck...!

Mike O

Peace Corps service will shape new perspectives and appreciation. You will so appreciate a new bike, Will. Let go of the old, and look forward to the new.

Enjoy, and thank you.

What will you specifically be doing there? How's it connected with your employer?

I was speaking loosely when I said "employer". I won't have an employer, just the volunteer service for the Peace Corps. I was fired from my last job last December. I got into a disagreement with the Board of Directors. 40 years ago, I thought about the Peace Corps, but family and work obligations took higher priority. The Mexican Peace Corps program is fairly new. It started in 2003. It is also a little different than what I envisioned when I started the application process. I will be an advisor with SEMARNAT, the Mexican Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources.

Regarding the bike, it sounds like everyone agrees with my initial impulse to sell now and buy something else when I get back. The only reason I hesitate is that I am really pretty happy with my current ride. And, being honest, I have a hard time parting with old vehicles. I still have a 1972 car that I haven't used at all for years. But you are all correct. It makes no sense to keep the bike (or the car).

Gee Will (ickers),

I can only guess at the market value of an 8 year old mid to high mileage oilhead RT (5 to 6 k ?). OTOH, I'd expect little to no decrease in value if stored for two years: an added benefit of storing is the mental joy of ownership, you know, vicariously riding your stored beemer. Lastly, you may find yourself in Colorado for a few weeks during the two year assignment in Mexico (vacation ?). Having a ride for those two weeks surely has some value.

Wooster

Busiest work day at maternity ward ? Labor Day !

I have no wisdom or advice to share regarding the bike, just best wishes for the experience ahead of you, and gratitude for your service to mankind.

Sell it. You might want something different when you get back and like was mentioned, it would be nice to treat yourself to something new on your return.

I think it will definitely depreciate. Bikes follow the laws of supply and demand. The 1200's are out there now and will be hitting the used market. Every passing year the bike appears more dated compared to newer models. No, the miles won;t be increasing, but it will still be 2 years older, and 2 years further into obsolescence. Look at the value of 1100's vs. 1150's. BMW should be bringing out an update to the 1200RT by 2009 and a new 1200LT is expected soon.

Ahhh... the march of progress.

WOrst case you sell it... then buy a used 1150, for less than you sold your for. win, win. IF it was a hard ot find bike, I'd consider keeping it, but RT's are pretty easy to come by since they're such great bikes.

DaveTheAffable
Kudos for your service to the Peace Corps, Will.

As for the bike, I would sell it and buy a newer one when I got back 2+ years later.

<snip>

Sell your depreciating asset now. Save the proceeds and draw interest, so you've got an asset that appreciates instead of depreciates.

+1 EXCELLANT suggestion. Put the money in a CD, or a no load mutual fund, but put every dime you get away, and use that to purchase, or use as a down payment, on a new-to-you bike on your return.

Good Luck!

wrestleantares

I think that I would sell my bike if I were in an identical situation.

Throw that cash in some investment and use it to pay for/good down payment on a bike when I returned.

Lone_RT_rider

I am going to be the odd man out in this situation. This descsion would come down to a couple of key issues for me.

1. Will I have the money to replace it with at least an equivalent machine once returned? If yes then....

2. Can a bike be found that will treat me as well for the type of riding I like to do?

If the answer is mostly yes to both of those questions, then sell it. For me, I would not want to take the hit for a new bike when I first got back from 2 years away. Not to mention, I am just a bit partial to my R1100RT. smile.gif Oh, and there is that matter of having replaced almost every key part in the bike already...lol. But thats MY situation, not yours...lol.

Shawn

wrestleantares
I am going to be the odd man out in this situation. This descsion would come down to a couple of key issues for me.

1. Will I have the money to replace it with at least an equivalent machine once returned? If yes then....

2. Can a bike be found that will treat me as well for the type of riding I like to do?

If the answer is mostly yes to both of those questions, then sell it. For me, I would not want to take the hit for a new bike when I first got back from 2 years away. Not to mention, I am just a bit partial to my R1100RT. smile.gif Oh, and there is that matter of having replaced almost every key part in the bike already...lol. But thats MY situation, not yours...lol.

Shawn

That is certainly a consideration. It is a "bike you know."

Keep it. Its a bike you like. If most of those miles are yours then you know what you've got. If you sell it now and buy someone else's high milage bike later, you don't know what you're getting. Unless you have a purchaser in mind, I can't imagine people beating down your door to buy a bike with 90,000 miles on it.

Sell it - the stock market is down today, so put the money in 3M, AT&T,etc., and buy a gold-plated R12RT when you return.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I can't imagine people beating down your door to buy a bike with 90,000 miles on it.
Not exactly true. Although I didn't have hordes of people wanting to buy my `99 RT with 99K miles, I did have enough interest that I sold it...and that was to someone that knew what I put it through.

If you price it honestly, you should have no trouble selling it. I admire the author for taking the leap of faith to change his life's course for the next two years.

Archived