IGNORED

R1200RT vs. K1200GT vs. K1200LT?

Pazzware

Newbie here to this forum...

My body tells me it's time to sell off the K1200RS and look into a touring style bike. There have been many posts that solicit opinions of the R1200RT vs. 2006/07 GTs, (and/or the LT)and that is my concern at the moment. I am specifically interested in anyone else who has reluctantly moved on from a sport bike to a touring/sport touring bike and would appreciate any feedback regarding differences in ergonomics, power, handling, etc.. from any of the forementioned bikes.

motorman587

You should go and check out the K1200LT site.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/cmps_index.php

I ride the 1200RTP at work and the LT off duty. Just completed a 12060 mile round trip to Alaska on a 1999 LT. I would do it again with this motorcycle, why? I like the weather protection and the windshield and winglets on the side. I like the radio and intercom system that came with the motorcycle. Also the GPS that came with it. I like the smooth 4 cyclinder. When the wife rides I know she will be confortable on the extra comfort seat also by BMW. Do not get me wrong I like my RTP, but for work. I could enjoy the GT but choose the LT for the above mention. It will be hard to choose, but either one you pick you will not go wrong. Just my $.02 worth.

Just completed a 12060 mile round trip to Alaska on a 1999 LT. I would do it again with this motorcycle, why?

u da man.

ShovelStrokeEd

I traded my K1200RS in on a K1200LT and proceeded to put about 20K miles on the LT, riding it in all sorts of weather conditions from sub-20 deg freeway to 95+ degree Florida commuting. The LT is a remarkably competent bike for what it is. Unfortunately for me, what it is is a grossly overweight pig of a bike. It masks it well, mind you, but physics will not be denied. With me and a normal complement of luggage aboard, you have over 1100 lbs of bike to get down the road. That means long stopping distances, abysmal acceleration (for a motorcycle) and some traction issues when cornering hard. The weather protection is great although I found myself more isolated from my environment than I wanted. Couple of inches off the windscreen helped with that. Removal of the factory trunk helped a good deal with the aerodynamics and the looks, IMHO. I also did not like the seating position on the bike at all. Factory seat was pretty good but, footpegs and handlebars forced a, for me, way to upright position that promoted back ache on long rides.

In all, I could ride my K12RS just as far, usually in less time, and had a far more competent motorcycle when I got wherever I was headed. Probably just me though, I much prefer a more sporting riding position even though I just qualified for Medicare.

I've just bought an RT1200. I excluded the LT because of the obvious weight (I had just dropped my R1150RT the first day out after my panels had been sprayed), the fuel consumption and I believed it wasn't practical for a daily trundle to work in heavy traffic. (I know some will have a different view/experience but it was my money)My wife immediately loved the passenger seat. I'm off this morning to the Dolomites and I had some difficulty in believing that I could easily, comfortably and safely maneouvre the LT up and down some of the passes.

I loved the GT. fantastic bike, great accelleration, superb (for me) seating position with my knees able to grasp the tank. great handling. and motor. didn't like the screen protection (or lack) and my wife hated the seats. I struggled to tell what gear I was in without constantly looking at the controls (would have got better when I got used to it).

Bought a Silver (Black engine spoiler) 2007 1200RT. The bike is several pounds lighter than the 1150 making the diference in parking imbalances. I managed to stop the fully loaded 2 up bike from hitting the deck on a low speed missed turn on thick gravel. I would just have gone over on the 1150rt. I thing that the motor is a massive improvement on the 1150rt and so is the gearbox. the handling (ie getting round country lane corners quickly and safely) is really good. the bike feels nimbler than its predecessor. fuel consumption is good at around the 50 mpg mark (uk gallons) commuting in heavy traffic and the equipment is good too. I have everything but the radio/cd. My wife likes the seats (heated) and the side bags seem marginally larger than the older style panniers. not sure yet about the screen and the 1150rt was much better for me in that department but I had 2 screens a short and tall bmw oem screens. If I was doing miles of straight line touring (someone here mention 12000) and fuel was cheaper, I might be persuaded by the LT. If I wasn't pleased at getting my wife to share a bike with me after 25 years of refusing to sit on a parked bike, I might have been swayed by the GT.

however we tested the lot (including the GS) 2 up. it was in the first 200 yards that we took off from the dealer on the 1200rt test ride that a satisfied voice said, 'that's better! this is the bike for me'.

I have done 600 miles now, the bike is serviced and we are packed and ready to go.

YMMV thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd,

Thanks for the candid response. I have yet to demo a LT or GT yet, but have tried out the K1200S when I more limber (awesome bike, and a different ride than my RS). If the GT is anywhere close to the S, then it may be an easier decision.

I am still trying to see if I can ride the RS, and am clipping on a Throttle Rocker (hand falls asleep after 30 miles or so...not good).

motorman,

Thank you for the LT link...I'll check it out.

The Alaska trip is something I have on the "wanndo" list. How beat up was the bike at the end of the trip? I had a buddy make the trip back in the pipeline days, and his machine did not fare too well from the Al-Can "expressway".

You just gotta do what you think is right for you. I started into BMW's with an '81-RS.....in '97 I went with an 1100RT and after it got nailed, I decided on the LT.

Now, almost 2 years later, and 33+K miles.....I'm still getting used to the MASSIVENESS (think of a Mammoth elephant) of this beast. As for acceleration.......well, it may not have all the get-up-and-go of an SR-71.....but it does make you pull up your socks at the end of the day if you really get on it. The "out-of-the-weather" package is superb, with both my wife and daughter noticing how much more comfortable this bike is.

I bought one of those TurnTable things for the garage, and with the bike at 900 lbs......that little item was well worth it. Don't even have to worry about doing the "oh my GOD" manuvering around my 1954 garage.

I ride every day, and have found at least 6 different routes to get me home, if that says anything. Would I, could I use another, smaller, bike...sure, you betcha.....but not all that often.

Pat

wrestleantares

I can only speak on the LT (thought I can compare it with the 1150RT).

I've had smaller bikes, but I've never had better. Now you do have to take that statement from ME with a grain or pound of salt. I am a cheap bastidge.

But...

The LT is the best all-around bike I have ever had or ridden. Including the RT. If I did a LITTLE less two-up touring I might have to rethink that, but it would be a close call. I love the LT because:

- There are very few times when I cannot take it to work. I haul around a laptop, and materials a good bit. I can just throw them in the bags along with all kinds of extra gear for riding. I am never daunted by rain/weather because I have my spare gear at all times. Including nicer clothes if something comes up. Both the RT, and GT you can probably say about the same if you ADD the trunk, and maybe even if you don't. In addition I can go shopping on the LT, and just generally have plenty of storage.

- Handling - The LT can quite hold its own thank you very much. It's size is apparently a stealth thing, because this bike can jet around corners like a much smaller bike. Don't get me wrong, it is no super duper 600 pocket rocket with a 10" wheelbase. But if you have some riding talent, and the guts to push the LT into the corners you are not going to be left far behind. Plus while you catch up you can listen to the radio/cd/mp3 player.

- Weather protection - Keep moving and you stay mice and dry. I'm good on the bike until about 20 degrees. Then the helmet creeping cold starts to dictate how far I go. Otherwise the moto and good gear keeps me nice and toasty.

- Power - This is a personal thing, but I can jet up to triple digits quite quickly enough for me.

- Two-up touring. My wife loves the bike. She loves to ride on her own, but head out of town and she wants to just sit and enjoy. This bike is perfect for that, or the rare time when we can ditch the kids for an evening and go to one our favorite restaurants in the mountains.

motorman587
motorman,

Thank you for the LT link...I'll check it out.

The Alaska trip is something I have on the "wanndo" list. How beat up was the bike at the end of the trip? I had a buddy make the trip back in the pipeline days, and his machine did not fare too well from the Al-Can "expressway".

LT fared very well. I had not problems. The key in doing the haul road, which was the goal, was time. We took a day to get from Fairbanks to Coldfoot. Another day from Coldfoot to Prudoe Bay. Eventhough it is on about 240 miles between these two places, we went nice and slow over the bad parts, no hurry. The only worst pot hole or bump I hit was in Missouri. thumbsup.gif A trip like this is a must for any motorcyclist nut. I am on going back in a few years.

Archived