IGNORED

Best $2000 ride

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

I am in the process of looking for a spare bike. I thought about getting something relatively new, but have decided against that. I decided I will hold off on a new/near new bike for another year or two.

I want a bike that is fun to ride, not too heavy. Naked, standard or sport-touring ergonomics. Decent power and reliable.

I have a 1990 FJ1200 in mind right now, but am certainly open to other possibilities (BTW: the weight of the FJ is certainly at my top limit).

I want to spend about 2 grand, but am slightly flexible.

KLR 650. It's such a great value, and is so much fun. Besides, you'll be able to sell it pretty much for the same thing.

For just a bit more there are lots of used 1200cc Suzuki Bandits around. I think with a bit of soft luggage one of those would make a heck of a fun bike - lots of hop-ups are around for the old air-cooled gixxer motor and the standard seating should be good for a few hundred miles before you'd need a rest.

Just my $0.02.

Get yourself a good used Dualsport bike.You`ll explore places you`d never go on that LT.I think my riding skills are improved on the Dualsport-you handle loss of traction,respond to different surfaces,and just generally find yourself using it around town because it`s so manueverable.I feel like a kid when I`m on mine. Just make sure you`re ATGATT.

Get yourself a good used Dualsport bike.You`ll explore places you`d never go on that LT.I think my riding skills are improved on the Dualsport-you handle loss of traction,respond to different surfaces,and just generally find yourself using it around town because it`s so manueverable.I feel like a kid when I`m on mine. Just make sure you`re ATGATT.

Suzuki V Strom DL 650, AWESOME!!! thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

If you want to go the dualsport route, a KLR650 or a DRZ400 could be had in that price range.

If you want to stay street, an older SV650 (naked, not the SV650S) would be a fun choice.

My choice would be a used Buell M2 Cyclone. In my experience, you may have been riding for 5 years or 50 and you may have owned a motorcycle or a hundred; either way you haven't truly experienced everything that motorcycle riding can offer until you've ridden a Buell (or a Ducati) in Colorado (or insert your other favorite mountainous state here).

If you want to go the dualsport route, a KLR650 or a DRZ400 ...

<snip>

That'd be my pick, too. For a nekkid bike - I'd probably shop around for another Honda Nighthawk 750.

harleyjohn45

Suzuki V Strom DL 650, AWESOME!!! thumbsup.gif

a clean v strom, DL 650, or KLR will be over 2000.00 believe me i'm lusting after a DR 650 and anything worth having is over 3k. that said, you can get a 2005 model for about 3800.00. it seems when the hit 3k, the depreciation just stops.

I got my '99 monster for not much more than $2k. Lots of fun, good power and it has been very reliable. I know you're "flexible" about looks, so a cosmetically ugly but mechanically sound bike might be the way to go.

Good luck.

wrestleantares
I got my '99 monster for not much more than $2k. Lots of fun, good power and it has been very reliable. I know you're "flexible" about looks, so a cosmetically ugly but mechanically sound bike might be the way to go.

Good luck.

I've been looking for a "recycle ready" ride, but haven't had any luck. All the salvage rides I have checked out lately have been too far gone to make it economically feasible.

wrestleantares
You can find very nice R1100R's from the mid '90s in that price range... naked, oil head and still BMW.

Show me where and I'll be there. Around here they sell for upper book 4K+.

If you want to go the dualsport route, a KLR650 or a DRZ400 ...

<snip>

That'd be my pick, too. For a nekkid bike - I'd probably shop around for another Honda Nighthawk 750.

yUP...dem be the three..

KLR

DRZ400

NightHawk

I've got my 04 VSTROM 650 with heated grips, handguards, engine guards, givi windshield and givi racks for saddle bags I'd sell relatively cheaply.

Toss me a pm if you're interested.

+1 for a Honda Nighthawk 750.

All they need is a set of EBC pads/shoes put on them and Progressive springs on the front and you end up with a great thrash around bike.

One huge plus is that there is extremely little maintenance needed on them..... thumbsup.gif

I clicked on this thread thinking I was going to read stories about weekends in Thailand. Man, was I wrong! lmao.gif

What kind of person spends $2000 on sex in one place in Thailand? Seriously, someone draw me a picture, I'd like to know what that man looks like. lmao.gif I'm pretty sure $200 will keep you busy for the better part of a week, right?

+1 for a Honda Nighthawk 750.

All they need is a set of EBC pads/shoes put on them and Progressive springs on the front and you end up with a great thrash around bike.

One huge plus is that there is extremely little maintenance needed on them..... thumbsup.gif

I loved my CB750!

I just threw in an equal amount of washers in each fork to compress the springs a bit. The front end ended up not being as soggy. With fresh fork oil, it made a good bit of difference, and for cheap! But yeah, new springs are, what, $50-80 tops? Good examples from the early 90s can be found in that price range, but I'm still thinking a late-80s K75 or K100 would rock. I'll probably pick one up as a commuter in the winter.

Archived