IGNORED

This will get your heart started

Deans BMW

San Jose BMW Race Video

There is now a video of Brian Parriott on the San Jose BMW R1200S posted on Google Video. The race is CCS Expert Heavyweight Superbike and it took place at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI earlier this month. The video includes one warm up lap and the four lap race around the 4.01 mile circuit.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-795451086899998850&hl=en

I loved seeing how quickly he assessed the "back markers" he had to pass in that lap. Within seconds, he figured out exactly when, where, and how to pass them.

But parts of that track sure look deadly dangerous.

russell_bynum
I loved seeing how quickly he assessed the "back markers" he had to pass in that lap. Within seconds, he figured out exactly when, where, and how to pass them.

Yeah, that was sweet.

Looked like a scary slide around the 7:15 mark. eek.gif

+1

That back straight with the walls right there against the track looks terrifying....and that wasn't the worst spot I saw.

Well! He certainly seems to understand the part about accelerating out of the apices.thumbsup.gif Now if they could just find another eight or ten HP for him.bncry.gif

Pilgrim

roadscholar

It's a fast track. I'm not surprised to see they installed a chicane between the carousel (the long right hander) and the kink on the back straight. The trick was to do it flat (in a car) and like the old "dip" at Road Atlanta each time you approached it, you had to wonder.

The penalty for being wrong was that your car became a pinball down to Canada corner.

bakerzdosen

and here I thought that a near-death experience would be required to "get [my] heart started". Nope.

I've spend 16 minutes and change in MUCH lesser causes.

thumbsup.gif

Awesome clap.gif

I assume he took second place. Seems like the GSX-R had more speed in the straight aways. Parriott is a great rider and beat the GSX-R at every turn.

Way cool. I was there for a track day on the 15th and was having a great time until my buddy high-sided coming out of the chicane and broke his leg. I was really interested in the lines they took, especially through the carousel where he stayed tight to the right side.

I agree that the gixxer had a bit more top-end, but the BMW is much faster in the corners.

How much is n R1200S again? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

russell_bynum

I agree that the gixxer had a bit more top-end, but the BMW is much faster in the corners.

He didn't really seem much faster in most of the corners. It looked to me like Brian was getting the power to the ground sooner, and was just KILLING everyone else on the brakes.

It was interesting watching the Gixxer pull away on the long straights, and through the carousel...where I assume Brian ran out of lean angle due to the boxer's protruding jugs.

Brian appears to be the better rider in these videos. A little more horsepower and he would have won. I definitely enjoyed the video and hope BMW will come out with the R1200S HP version that Nate rode at Le Mans.

Cheers!

Well, it just so happens that San Jose BMW also has built this bike, something on the order of 130-135 RWHP and under 400# wet. The bike is built for sprint races, the head of a valve poped off after three laps of practice at Road America, turns out that the valve maker hs had some roblems. Brian on this bike at Infineon (Sears Point) handly beat a gaggle of 1098's.

GoodXBike.jpg

TomPullsOut.jpg

Both bikes in the pit at Road America.

HangingOutBeforeRace.jpg

St0nkingByte

So cool to watch and recognize that engine sound smile.gif To me it doesn't sound like he's really flogging the 1200 that hard, but maybe its just a quirk of the audio.

Wish we could have heard the sound from behind/beside the bike. I had the experience of racing against the HD factory bike (Lucifer's Hammer?) a few times in the old days. I caught up with him and was following him for a while in practice the first time I saw him, and was surprised I could keep up with him on the straights, and put ground on him in the corners without really pushing it. It sounded like he was running about 150 rpm because the sound was in such a low octave (compared to my 11000 rpm). I was just cruising along, smiling to myself, and thinking it would be tough to pass him if he ever got in front of me because his fairing was so wide. About that time (after running three laps with him), he apparently discovered what the right grip was for, because he suddenly pulled away from me like I was broke eek.gif. I felt shame. It still sounded like he was only turning maybe 200 rpm... lmao.gif

Archived