IGNORED

How to figure bike's value?

Phins2left

I just had a post in the classifieds section rejected as I didn't include a price. It's been hard enough to decide to sell Big Blue without the added pain of naming a price...

Is there a Blue Book equivalent (that's accurate) for motorcycles? I googled '2003 R1150rt', but mostly got just reviews, etc, and not many for sale listings.

Certainly appreciate any pointers you can provide for valuation.

Thanks,

PJ

Thanks. I noticed that Nada doesn't really allow for condition or mileage. Is that normal for motorcycles (never sold one, though I have sold my car before)? If not, can someone suggest rules of thumb for adjusting based on mileage?

go to www.ibmwr.org/market and do a search on bikes similar to yours. KBB and NADA are nice to start with, but let's be real, bike prices can be radicall different in May vrs Dec or Jan. Also look on E-bay and track some recent sales, and finally go to www.cycletrader.com and look at listings.

With all these resources you should be able to get a good idea of the current market value of your bike. Remember make sure to look at the actually selling price, not asking or reserve price.

+1 on Randy's post. You want to get as much information as you can on bikes similar to yours before you price it. Basicially you are getting comps just like you would on a house. Price it too high and you get tire kickers but no buyers. Price it just right and it moves quickly. Test rides is another issue that I will leave up to you. Good luck with your sale.

Steve W., you seem like a real winner. I'll make sure I don't buy anything from you. Why are you even a member of this forum?

Bids Price* Shipping

to 92029, USA

End Date Actions

Enlarge

BMW : R-Series 2003 BMW R1150RT BEAUTIFUL

View similar active items

Sell one like this

16 $8,700.00

See description Jul-22 17:35

BMW : R-Series 2003 BMW R1150RT Black Motorcycle w/ Top Box RT R

(Reserve Not Met)

View similar active items

Sell one like this

3 $7,300.00

See description Jul-15 18:17

Steve W., you seem like a real winner. I'll make sure I don't buy anything from you. Why are you even a member of this forum?

What's that about?

What's that about?

Yeh, What's that about? I agree with Steve. You should always ask for more than you expect to get. That way you can give some on the price. The buyer feels good because he got the bike he wanted for less than the asking price. You feel good because you got the price you wanted. Everybody wins.

Honest opinion: I've bought and sold quite a few bikes over the past few years and it's a buyers market. KBB seems to overestimate the prices that used motorcycles bring...in the end, the bike is worth whatever the number on a check that you get for it reads. The longer you've been trying to sell, the closer to "true market value" (if there is such a thing) that number will be.

I watched my dealer pick-up a NADA book to determine the value on the 2 bikes I traded in for my RT. He actually split the difference between the retail and trade-in value... and gave me a pretty good deal overall.

wrestleantares

That was kind of a jerky thing to say. What he says is what I do as well. Thing is I still start my bikes reasonable. Last one I sold, the guy actually gave me more than the asking price. He agreed to asking price without question, and asked me to teach him to change the oil. I did and he gave me $50 extra. I tried to refuse (not too awfully hard) but he was more than happy with the bike and the price.

Archived