IGNORED

Moving to Houston

Skywagon

I am a relatively new comer to this list. I am moving from San Francisco Bay Area to Houston, Texas in August. I have a group of buddies I ride with here, but no such aquaintances in Houston. I am mostly a weekend rider. We will be located somewhere around Tanglewood or Memorial on the south west side. I ride an R1150RT for this list and an R100RT for the airheads list. I would appreciate any knowledge of BMW rides in the area and a recommendation for BMW routine maintenance. And before you ask why Houston....well it is simple. You are born where you are born and you die where your wife is from.

Rocket_Cowboy

Well ... at least there will be no lingering surprises after you move to Houston. August has to be THE hottest time of year for Houston, so you'll get to see the worst of it right as you step out of the moving van, so to speak.

I can't help too much on the Houston scene. I know there are two BMW dealers down in the Houston area, but I've not heard either of them recommended as highly as Lonestar over in Austin. There are some pretty active BMWMOA charters here in Texas, and I believe Houston has one of the active charter clubs as well, so I wouldn't think you'd have much problem finding people to ride with or to give local referrals. Worst case, ride on over to Austin or up to Dallas and we'll get something worked out for ya. smile.gif

Welcome to Texas!

I am a newcomer to this forum also but I may be able to help. I live on the west side of Houston. I've been doing business with Wild West Honda/BMW since 1992. I highly reccommend them for BMW service as I have been well satisfied with their sales and service. I just bought my second BMW from them (2007 R1200RT) recently and bought many Hondas from them before that.

Their address is:

Wild West Honda/BMW

22515 Katy Freeway(I-10 West)

Katy,Texas 77450

wildwesthonda.com

I know their is a BMW Club in Houston but I am not familiar with details about them.

Check your Personal Message box later today. I will get you some more info. (I actually want to also see if I know how to use the Personal Message box since I am new to the forum).Please let me know if the message comes through.

Hope I can help you more later.

Russ

I moved from Houston about three years ago. I cannot help with riding clubs now, but there are many and you will find them friendly and approachable.

Contrary to earlier posts- August will not be the only hot month- actually September is right up there for uncomfortableness. October is getting good/ November is about what you California guys are used to. Etc.

Some good roads around and I would be pleased to give you a few for your starter set. The problem is getting out of Houston.

On the plus side- there are so many great places to eat it will be worth the move. Not just BBQ either. It is one of the great cities in the world for food of all styles. This you will enjoy. Shopping is good too.

What kind of guns do you keep?

Welcome to Houston! I cannot recommend the one place I have been for service, which is BMW Motorcycles of North Houston. They have been a source of much disappointment for me. I intend to do my own maintenance for the most part from here on out.

As for riding, FM 149 (The Montgomery Trace) up through Montgomery and then through the Sam Houston National Forest is a nice ride. The best riding I know of in the state is on FM 335, 336, and 337 (the Twisted Sisters) in the hill country west of Austin. Watch out for the killer squid on these roads; they value neither their life nor yours.

Also, TX 39 from Kerrville to Hunt, and then FM 1340 from Hunt up to TX 41 is a very nice ride. There is much to choose from in the Texas Hill Country.

Google Motorcycle Roads Texas.

Thanks for the posts so far. I am actually native Dallas, wife from Houston, went to school at SFA and UT Austin so familiar with the slightly warm and slightly moist weather of Houston. confused.gif... I moved to San Francisco for a 2 year assignment 18 years ago. Time to go sort of home. I will use some of the roads for touring that have been posted. Thanks for that. I don't remember it all that well. The 2005 R1150RT is in warranty through December 2007 so hoping to find a good BMW warranty dealer.

Someone asked about guns...Well I am licensed to carry even here in CA. I carry a Kimber 45 Pro CDP II with laser sight, buy rarely...

I was only kidding "a little" about guns in Houston. It can feel like an unsafe, nasty place at times. The recent importation of unsavory gang-bangers from New Orleans has only made the place worse. Certain neighborhoods which were recently upscale have become gang riddled territory and the stores are leaving in the face of the police inability to control things. This is causing a downward spiral towards vacant stores and less shopping traffic- quiclkly leading to slum neighboorhoods in the center of what used to be a nice place. I am not making this up!

There are still a large percentage of great places in Houston, and I enjoy our visits back there to visit with family.

Just be careful and pay attention. You will be fine.

i was Road Captain for a very large club in town and can second the road recommendations mentioned above. I also enjoyed the rides over to Round Top and up toward Anderson- if you get off the main roads.

Let me leave you with a true story. We ran a small business, retail, in a very upscale neighboorhood shopping center, and had a shoplifter snag a $700 item and run out the door. I chased the car as it left the parking lot and got a license number. The sherrif checked the number and the listed address. I asked him if he was going to go check it out. He said "No, we won't into that part of town."

Keep your carry permit active. Texas is fairly friendly towards protecting your own property.

Any question PM me.

Bob

<snip>

The recent importation of unsavory gang-bangers from New Orleans has only made the place worse. Certain neighborhoods which were recently upscale have become gang riddled territory

<snip>

There are still a large percentage of great places in Houston, and I enjoy our visits back there to visit with family.

Just be careful and pay attention. You will be fine.

<snip>

Let me leave you with a true story. We ran a small business, retail, in a very upscale neighboorhood shopping center, and had a shoplifter snag a $700 item and run out the door. I chased the car as it left the parking lot and got a license number. The sherrif checked the number and the listed address. I asked him if he was going to go check it out. He said "No, we won't into that part of town."

<snip>

Whoa. What part of town was your business in? What previously "very upscale" areas do you consider to now be "riddled?" I don't doubt that you have good cause for the comments, but can you provide a little specificity so those of us who live here don't all have to pack up and leave? (These are not intended to be rhetorical questions; answers would be much appreciated, either publically or privately.)

I have not been personally affected by the influx of "gang-bangers" myself. My life mostly spins on a geographic axis spanning between the intersection of US 290 and Eldridge (where I work) and The Woodlands (where I go to church). I live at a location equidistant between these two points.

Houston may not be the "Hotbed" (no pun intended) for quality roads to ride on but we do have 4 BMW dealers! I can recommend Wild West Honda/BMW also (Katy area), Gulf Coast BMW on I45 South at College ave (they keep a lot of riding gear in stock thumbsup.gif), any the BMW North Store just opened thier new location at Beltway 8 and Beechnut, that may be your closest location. It is a small store but may be good for maintenance with the right employees (time will tell!).

There is a BMW club in Houston- http://www.bmwclub.org/

I work off of North Shepherd and ride by your general location many days a week.

Sure- no problem. My store was Urban Artifacts, in the Champions Village shopping center on FM 1960 near the Champions Golf Club. Selected as one of the Top 100 galleries selling fine art and contemporary craft in the nation.

That was adjacent to Greenwood Village subdivision. The Greenwood Village area is one of the locations where refugees from Katrina were relocated to. Nearby, the Willowbrook Mall at FM 1960 and Texas 249 has become uninhabitable after dark. The Houston Police are unable to provide security for mall patrons and the place has become a gang war zone.

The adjacent brand new shopping center on the south side of 249, the one owned by Johnny Carson, before he died, has had the majority of national tennants depart. The movie complex is too dangerous to visit at night. I have a personal friend who owns Charlie and Jakes Good Time Emporium and they have had to sell out to go to safer locations.

If you doubt me, please feel free to go there for a movie or perhaps dinner at Babbins, and walk around.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Houston and the great people there, but at some point in time the good guys are going to have to band together and re-assert control.

Bike-related content... the Houston Northwest BMW dealer was very nice to me back during the July 4th week. They had two bikes I expressed interest in and the salesperson and others there were very friendly and helpful in getting a charge on a flat battery on a consignment sale bike- so I could see it start and run. That, plus they had the best BMW t-shirt collection I have seen at a dealer.

Hey thanks for that info. I am also looking at a hangar for my airplane at Hooks airport. When I was there Sunday I remember going down 249. Do you know if the airport area is safe?

Thanks,

And what's with "Just Joined" under my name to the left?

Post count driven?

I joined this board on:

Mon Jan 24 2005 09:38 PM

bakerzdosen
And what's with "Just Joined" under my name to the left?

Post count driven?

I joined this board on:

Mon Jan 24 2005 09:38 PM

Yup. Go wish about 5 people happy birthday in the OT forum and you'll be a full-fledged member. smile.gif

Yes, Hooks is a nice place.

Hooks is in Tomball, TX and the entire area is growing like a Texas weed. The town fathers of Tomball are eyeing Hooks for annexation in order to promote and develop it as an alternative to IAH or other small airports. This can be good or bad- depending.

Tomball is having major traffic problems now- while they are building a by-pass- especially if you use 249 to get there or thru there going north. There are alternate ways to get to Hooks.

I did not mean to distort or impune all of Houston. It is a great place and given the need, I would go there tomorrow. It has problems just like any large city and especially with a government that seems to focus on what many perceive as the wrong things. Texas in general and Houston in particular is very business-friendly and this helps with the thriving economy.

I like the place and hope you do as well.

If you are in the Memorial area you might want to look into another alternative to Hooks for airport space. There is one to the west side for sure.

Hopz - Thank you. Those places are in my "area." I will keep a more keen eye out. I have been to Babin's several times, but wasn't really looking. I frequent Willowbrook, too, but usually during the daytime.

Skywagon - I work with a guy who lives in his hangar at Hooks. Any specific questions you would like me to ask him? PM me.

Archived