IGNORED

Barn find revisited - riding impressions

misterhoneysir

misterhoneysir

As some of you know, I ran across a once-in-a-life-time deal on a 2002 1150rt. The bike had only 6 miles on it when I picked it up. That was eight weeks ago, 5-19-07. After changing the oil & filter, dumping out the original 5-year-old gas & refilling, then airing up the tires, I was on my way home. Being my first "real" ride on a BMW, it took me a few miles to get used to the feel of the bike. I'm glad I had just purchased some Joe Rocket waterproof over pants the day before. I had about 140 miles to get home. Coming north through Chehalis towards Seattle, it started to rain. It was a good time to play with the windshield positioning and the heated grips. The rain stopped for a mile or two, then the clouds really opened up, a torrential downpour that lasted all the way to Tacoma. I was very pleased at how well the fairing diverted the rain & road spray. What impressed me even more was how stable it was at speed while being in troughs of rain water. No wiggles or waggles, no hydro-planing, just a stable ride. When I got to Seattle, I filled the tank again just to see what kind of mileage it was getting - 51 mpg - pretty good, I thought.

The first week of owning the bike it sat under a bike cover. Too many commitments. During that first week I secured a covered parking spot in downtown Seattle, a block away from from work for only $63 a month. Cheaper that the bus or train per day. My goal was to ride the bike to work rain or shine every day. It's only a 12-mile commute on I-5, with a back-up route of using either Hwy 99 (lots of stop lights) or side streets. What a thrill it is to be riding to work every day again after being off a bike for about 15 years! With an occasional blast of speed up to xxx, it really helps to boost my feeling of well-being in the morning.

Putting around under 4k rpm for the first 600 miles was getting old. So I thought, let's do a road trip to add those miles on. I headed up Hwy 2 towards Stevens Pass. It was one of those gorgeous NW days in the 80's with no clouds & lots of sun. As soon as I went through Gold Bar & got into the twisties I noticed that I had a smile on my face that would not go away. I was intending to just go out & putt along doing the speed limit. The more twisties I went through the harder staying under the limit was. The bike is so controlled & stable it really boosts the riding confidence. Because of the heat, it sure felt good going by all of the waterfalls with their fresh mist. At about the 135 mile mark I started squirming. I'm not sure if it's the seat or my lack of seat time. I'm hoping it's more just a lack of seat time on the bike. Maybe old boney bottoms take longer to break in these days. eek.gif Leaventhworth was packed to the gills with the HD crowd. So I went on through to Hwy 97, the Blewett pass road. Heading towards Cle Elum. I caught up to about 12 HD riders with a couple of Gold Wings tagging on to the tail end. I was getting hungry & was looking for a nice spot to have lunch along the river. Going through the corners I noticed the HD's were slow & steady, the wings seemed to be at their limit (either the 1200 or 1500 versions). The last Wing in the group would wallow like going into a tank slapper going around some of the corners. maybe 50-60 mph. It looked scary. The BMW was like being on rails. I found a perfect spot off the hwy for lunch. Cooled off & headed towards Cle Elum. By the time I got home there would have been just fumes in the tank. I'm wasn't sure if 300 miles per tank was feasible yet on a "new" bike. Checking the mileage in Cle Elum at fill up, it looked like 58 mpg. Wow! Just like my old 85 FXRT...

Just missed the rain going over Snoqualmie pass. The temps had dropped about 15-20 degrees going over the pass. Back on the Seattle side the temps went back up to the 80's.

With 600 miles on the bike it was time to get the first service done. For those who live in the Seattle area, I found a really cool private shop (no, I don't work for them) called Valentine Motor Works in Fremont. They did the 600 mile svc & changed/fushed the complete brake system fluids for about half of what the area dealers wanted. One day turnaround. Wow again! I must say he was pretty flabbergasted when I made the appointment. Only 600 miles on a 2002? Once I told Mick (Valentine) the story, he was amazed at the find.

Some overall observations: The farther away from Seattle, the more other bikers will wave, requardless of make or model. I wave at all other bikers. Still not sure about the windshield. Can't seem to find the perferct position at whatever speed. Full wind blast or buffeting. The bike has really strong engine braking. Less need for brakes? Need to keep the rev's up when shifting. Especialy the 1-2 shift. Pulls strongly through the first 3 gears to redline. It's not pull-your-arms-out-of-the-sockets power, but pretty good power. The bike is very stable, low speeds, highway speeds, around semi's, even in cross winds. The bike does stop on a dime. I think partly linked brakes would be better. I miss a little trail braking. Maybe less power brake boost? I don't think the mileage in town (35-35mpg) is anywhere near as good as the highway mileage. I will find out on this tank fill-up. Now up to 38-39 around town. The dual loud horns are wonderful compared to other bikes & even most cars. They sure wake people up! I am finally used to the 3 switch turn signals. Can't wait to put more miles on it.

Later Gang

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Congrats on your new ride! Sounds like a match made in heaven! Be careful up there.. seems like not many expect a bike, especially in rainy weather conditions.

That is so cool. What a find.

The only thing I might consider is new tires. +5 years of sitting is a long time for rubber.

Enjoy the bike!

Wow, what a find! You really lucked out. Congratulations, enjoy, and be careful. cool.gif

Thanks for letting us in on the story.

Jay

The only thing I might consider is new tires. +5 years of sitting is a long time for rubber.

Enjoy the bike!

My 2 cents, don't consider, do it! Don't ride again till you do. eek.gif

You didn't mention changing trans, drive shaft, and rear wheel drive oil. Probably a good idea to do that too. But I guess that will happen at the 600 mile service anyway.

Great story, and an incredible find. Have a slightly different story about a 96 R1100RSL I bought with 3600 miles on the odo and a no front brake after about 100 miles on the trip home. eek.gif

Jim VonBaden

Enjoy the bike!

While I agree with Ken in principal, it all depends on their exposure.

If the tires have no dry rotting, and look to be in good shape, I would ride it.

Keep a close eye on them, but do not get too freeked out. Some tires sit at the dealership, then not ridden for years, and are still OK. Others sit on a dealer shelf for years. IMHO if they have not been exposed to the elements, and display no signs of age, I wouldn't sweat it.

I recently purchased a 25 year old bike with original tires that still looked great. I AM changing them, though there is no obvious need for it. Your tires might be fine if they were never exposed to UV or harsh conditions.

Jim cool.gif

Jeff--

Congrats on the great find. I read your other post about finding and buying the bike--unbelievable!

You'll find that one of the favorite activities of BMW owners is adding farkles to the bike. Along those lines, you mentioned a couple of things--the seat and the windshield. There are a lot of options for both. No, it's not specifically your butt that's the problem. The seat is the first thing that most people swap. The favorites around these parts are Russell Day-Longs, Rick Mayer Saddles, Rocky Mayer (BMS), Sargent and Corbin. As far as windshields go, there is also a pretty wide variety--Cee Bailey's, Aeroflow, and Z-Technik come to mind (there are others).

Keep an eye on the accessories and oilhead forums for information and feedback, and remember that the classifieds are a great source.

Jim VonBaden
Dude, change your tires!

Dude, reading comprehension!

I recently purchased a 25 year old bike with original tires that still looked great. I AM changing them, though there is no obvious need for it. Your tires might be fine if they were never exposed to UV or harsh conditions.

grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

bakerzdosen
The favorites around these parts are Russell Day-Longs, Rick Mayer Saddles, Rocky Mayer (BMS), Sargent and Corbin.
Congrats!

You're in Seattle, so head over to Rich's. Even if you don't get a new one from him (you probably will want one after you visit FWIW...), you'll learn a lot about why you want a custom seat. A couple of us here have them and like them.

misterhoneysir

Thanks for all of the comments. I realize there is a lot of knowledge floating around in this site. There is only so much I can do at a time.

FYI - Yes the trans, & diff oils were changed at the 600 mile service. The complete brake system was flushed & changed. Even the clutch fluid was changed. So no worries there.

The bike was stored in a heated garage, on the centerstand. There were a couple of sleeping bags over the bike. Not pretty, but it worked. So no weight on the tires. The only thing wrong with the tires was the very low tire pressue. They were filled to 38 front & 40 rear before I left for home. The tires have been inspected by several people including Mick Valentine (the shop owner)at the time of the 600 mile service. All say they are in great condition. No dry rot, no cracks etc. I probably will not change them until necessary.

After several long rides (to me, so far, about 300 miles ea), about 135 miles seems about it before the squirming sets in. The budget does not allow another $500 + or - to be spent on the bike yet. So I will ride it till I can afford a new seat. Mayby a sheep skin?

Talk to you later

Charles Elms

Great find on the bike. smile.gif

Start with the 'seat jack' or front of seat shim. That makes a big difference. A search should find it.

Did your mechanic re-tourque the head bolts when the 600 mi. service was done? How much did the brake flush set you back? I think the sheepskin seat cover is a good compromise when you don't want to spend the bucks on a custom seat.

Great story and many thanks for sharing it with us.

Sounds to me like you are off to a great start and I would not fuss too much about the details at this point. Heck, It is a NEW bike- for real. I would reccomend the Clymer Manual and poke around the archives for learning sake about the future maintenance procedures. Also get acquainted with the IBMWR.com site. Some good info over there.

Hi Jeff

Congrats on the bike!! If you need any help you're more than welcome to give me a holler. There are more than a few of us who can help out. Oh....and there is a small group of us out here in the PNW who do get together occassionally to experiment with food "on the road". C ya on the pavement!!

Pat

misterhoneysir

The complete 600 mile service with the total brake flush, etc came to just under $600 w tax. Same day turn around! clap.gif Mick Valentine did a awsome job! His customer service rocks! clap.gifclap.gif

$600 doesn't sound very cheap. I'm getting my 600 mile service on my 1200RT done at my dealer for under $300 for FD fluid change, oil change, valve adjustment, retorque heads, plug in the motronic computer thing and do a general inspection.

I of course don't need the brake fluid replaced, but that shouldn't run more than $100. The clutch fluid however is a PITA and might be why it's so expensive.

I can't believe your BMW dealer wanted over $1000 for that service unless they wanted to change the tires too.

Otherwise great find! Congrats on the "new" bike!

Archived