IGNORED

MotoGP - SPOILER

steve.foote

steve.foote

Well, it's officially Stoners to lose.

Great ride by Melandri inspite of the nasty crash during qualifying. And, cudo's to RLH!

Yeah, it was a great race. I think Melandri stole the show after yesterday's huge crash.

The Aussies were fantastic. The finish was fantastic. (Four different manufacturers in the top four positions.)

I'm a big Rossi fan, but I think the US MotoGP results more or less eliminates Rossi's chances of clawing back to become world champion this year.

First poster is correct; the championship is now Stoner's to lose.

Really surprising how the American riders faired so poorly. Laguna Seca is an incredibly difficult track and none of the U.S. riders did particularly well on a track they have the most experience on.

Makes me keen on going to Indianapolis next year. I'd think from a spectator perspective, it would be a much more hospitable viewing environment for spectators than Laguna Seca.

steve.foote

Yeah, it wasn't a very good day for the Americans. I'm not sure what got into Nicky. It looked like he simply made a big mistake running into Hopper. But, at least Roger Lee Hayden had a great GP intro with his 10th place finish. I think the wild card rule adds a great influence into the overall season.

It sure seemed like there were more mechanical failures this race than normal. I counted four or five bikes out due to mechanical issues.

I would be interested to know what happened to Pedrosa. He started strong, and then consistantly fell back. Unfortunately, the announcers spent too much time educating the viewers about the need for footpegs and why riders lean into turns, and were not able to spend much time discussing tire strategy. I'd be interested to learn more about the tire hardness each rider employed and how it ultimately worked out for them. My guess is that Pedro's tires went away fast.

At least you got to watch the race. In the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area the local Fox affiliate decided to bump the race to show the news. I'll never watch one of their newscasts again.

Unfortunately, the announcers spent too much time educating the viewers about the need for footpegs and why riders lean into turns, and were not able to spend much time discussing tire strategy. I'd be interested to learn more about the tire hardness each rider employed and how it ultimately worked out for them. My guess is that Pedro's tires went away fast.

The major networks are going to have to spoon feed the 99% of the viewing public who have no background on the sport - at least until it becomes more mainstream.

(By the way, I just pulled the 99% figure out of my butt. I've not had time to actually count 'em all yet.)

JerryMather

As much as I loved seeing my guy walk away with the race, I felt badly for the American's not being able to put on a show for us under almost perfect weather conditions up there.

If you haven't already come to believe this, let me clue you in on the fact that Stoner is going to be the World Champion this year and very will could be the Champion for the next five years, if all goes well and he doesn't get hurt.

I can already hear people calling Moto GP the "Ducati Cup" just like they did in WSB a few years ago.

He's in a class by himself with that bike. FYI: Ducati has him until 2010 and with Melandri being signed to the team last week for the next two years, these guys are going to be very hard to race against and win in the future. clap.gif

I think Hopper could have put up a good fight, without the "incident". I think Nicky would have been in the same boat as Vale and Dani, and would have been doing well to be in the top 5 this year. Michelin better figure it out soon, or we'll have all Bridgestones next year, methinks! wink.gif

As for "the incident", after watching the replay on Tivo this morning (about 42 times!), it looks to me like Stoner, Hopper and Hayden can all share a little blame, and chalk it up to a racing incident. Here's what it looked like to me:

Stoner, in his charge to get up around Pedrosa stole Nicky's line, forcing Nicky wide. When Nicky ran wide, Hopper seized the opportunity and tucked up under him. Nicky, probably not even seeing Hopper, and not wanting to lose places, and not being afraid to slide it a bit, tipped it in to get back on line (backing it in pretty good!), and thus bumped Hopper. Everyone did exactly what they should have done, and unfortunately, it got ugly. It happens some times. smirk.gif If Nicky had just finished running wide, it would have been fine, but can you blame him for not wanting to lose a bunch of places and trying to get back on line as quickly as possible? And can you really blame Hopper for trying to seize an opportunity to get around? Can't really blame Stoner for taking the line he did either; whoever has the most cojones wins...he charged through and Nicky moved out of the way. If he hadn't, I think Nicky and Casey might have bumped!

Disappointing, for sure, BUT I am so happy for Roger Hayden! What a great weekend he had! Who'da thunk he'd be the first American over the line!? I think Kawasaki should be quite proud of him this weekend. cool.gif

BTW, Jerry, your boy looked great all weekend! He not only dominated every session, he controlled them. He'd go throw down a quick one, and then wait for someone to answer, then he'd go even faster. Then he beats his qualifying time in Warm up? Sheesh...taking tips from The Doctor, Casey? eek.gif

And Steve (I think it was you who wondered about Dani), all the Michelin guys are blaming tires for their poor performance this weekend. They are all hopping mad about the situation right now. They all said the bikes were workign great, but they had no grip. That's why I think if Michelin doesn't get it together (and SOON), they're going to pay next year (unless the teams are contracted with them for so long, and can't get out of it).

Actually, after looking at the still pix of the incident on Soup, it may have been Loris that stole Nicky's line? I thought it was Stoner (as the bike that did that went right around Dani), but in the stills, it looks like it may have been Loris? Anyway, SOME Duc pusehd Nicky out, and in an effort to get back in, he hit Hopper. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! tongue.gif

russell_bynum

Yeah, it was a great race.

I disagree. Stoner got out front early. Vermeulen got into 2nd early. And they ran away.

The only real racing we saw was between Marco and Valentino, with Marco getting the nod after Vale's tires started to go off.

Other than that, it was pretty much a parade. Rog did a great job holding off Barros as long as he did, but you just knew Alex was going to late-brake him into T11 on the last lap...which he did.

Not that I didn't enjoy the weekend, but the race itself was pretty boring (much like the last two USGP's).

Jerry...as for this becoming the "Ducati cup", there's one Ducati getting it done...that's not the same as WSB a few years ago when there were four Ducatis and those four always occupied the top four spots.

As for Rossi losing the title this year...he was down by a bunch last year, and damn near got it back anyway. IF (and that's a big IF) Michelin gets their sh*t together, I think we could have a race again.

If they don't, I would expect Repsol Honda and Fiat Yamaha to switch to Bridgestones next year. At this point, we're obviously looking at a tire war with Michelin sucking and Bridgestone...not sucking. Level that field (fix the Michelin's or switch to Bridgestones), and I think things will get more interesting.

One thing's for sure...Casey totally controlled this entire weekend. Others were fast (Melandri, Vermeulen, and Hopper to name a few), but Stoner just flat controlled every session.

Melandri should get the Hero of the Revolution award. After SuperChicken collected him in qualifying, he was obviously hurting. He did one lap in the morning warmup, then came in, and they had to physically carried him out of his pit box. To be that hurt and still pull off 3rd is pretty spectacular.

Roger Hayden gets major kudos and impressed a bunch of people this weekend. Not only did he finish as the top American, but he put the Kawi in the top 10 on only his second time on the bike. His qualifying position would have been better, but he got tangled up in the Checa/Hopkins "miscommunication" lmao.gif and blew his hot lap. Through the race, we saw him ride smart, and he held off the legendary Alex Barros for a long long time, despite Alex putting quite a bit of pressure on him in the closing laps. If Rog doesn't get a MotoGP ride (or at leas get offered one) in the next year or so, I think that'll be one of the great injustices of the century.

Likewis, Chaz Davies jumped on The Hoff's Pramac d'Antin Ducati having never even sat on the bike before (They didn't even adjust the riding position for him.), and having never ridden a 4-stroke bike until this year. He put in a very good showing, and his finishing position was due to equipment problems rather than his skill.

Overall, it was an interesting race weekend. Weather was perfect. I wish the top two Americans hadn't taken each other out in the first lap (Nicky broke his brake adjuster, causing the brakes to go away as the race went on. Hopper lost a footpeg and wound up a couple of laps down, but turning laptimes that were right up there with the front runners.) but that's just how it goes...sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. smile.gif

Well I just got home and watched the race after a multiple day ride in Oregon....Stoner is for real that is for sure, no way around it, this season is truly his to lose at this point.

As for Hayden, I watched the incident with Hopper multiple times and he has no one to blame but himself in my eyes....he went off line and then came back into Hopper, simple as that. Not a great day for either of them but over all the race was interesting to watch (first time I haven't attended in a few years)....don't miss the crowds a bit and got a quick 1,600 miles on the bike instead...

As for the "Stoner has this thing sewn up for the next few years idea" I suggest watching some of the up and coming 250 riders again, lots of good young talent out there just waiting to get their shot.....and the tire issue can only go his way for so long.....he will be a serious contender (and the guy to beat) next year if he stays healthy, but I wouldn't get too optimistic just yet....plus Honda will figure out whatever chassis issues they are having soon enough….and Rossi will want to go out on top if next season is his last one…all in all a great time to be a race fan…….

And at least you could hear the bikes on the Fox broadcast….not so sure about Greg White’s new hair though…..

As for Hayden, I watched the incident with Hopper multiple times and he has no one to blame but himself in my eyes....he went off line and then came back into Hopper, simple as that.

Exactly what I saw. Hayden's shoulder was behind Hoppers when contact was made.

Ant West has had four rides for a 10th, 9th, 8th and 7th, does this mean he will win the second last race of the season???

Maybe not but watch him at Phillip Island.

Go you Aussies, it is not just the tyres.

Ian

Go you Aussies, it is not just the tyres.

As a long time Aussie fanatic (my father grew up in Sydney and I still have family there) I agree it is more than just the tires, but they do play a critical role....read the interview with Rossi for his take...

http://superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/070723-46.htm

All things being equal I would still take Rossi over anyone else out there.....but of course things are never equal.....

Face it folks...Hayden is on inferior equipment this year. The factory dropped the ball on the changes this year from last.

dopeslap.gif

Stoner happens to be with the right stuff.

MB>

russell_bynum
Face it folks...Hayden is on inferior equipment this year. The factory dropped the ball on the changes this year from last.

dopeslap.gif

Stoner happens to be with the right stuff.

MB>

There's little doubt that the Hondas are stuggling. And Michelin is stinking up the place. And the RC212V is designed for Pedrosa and Nicky doesn't even fit behind the fairing.

But you can't say Casey's success is because of Ducati and Bridgestone because there's FOUR Bridgestone-shod Ducati's out there and none of them are even getting close to what Casey is doing.

That said...I think if you put Pedrosa on the Ducati and Casey on the Honda, I don't think we'd be seeing Casey dominate.

It's the whole package...the Ducati works really well for Casey and Casey works really well for the Ducati. Watching him circulate Laguna was like watching Nicky circulate Laguna in 2005...he just flat had the thing dialed.

But you can't say Casey's success is because of Ducati and Bridgestone because there's FOUR Bridgestone-shod Ducati's out there and none of them are even getting close to what Casey is doing.

True enough but the top 3 bikes were all on Bridgestone tires....so you need a great rider, a great bike and great tires....Melandri and Vermeulen fit the bill and apparently Honda and Suzuki can get on the podium, just not with Nicky (or Pedrosa in this case).....

I find the excuses Nicky excuses to be wearing thin this far into the season and really hoped he had turned things around at Sachsenring....now we will have to wait till Brno...

russell_bynum

True enough but the top 3 bikes were all on Bridgestone tires....so you need a great rider, a great bike and great tires....Melandri and Vermeulen fit the bill and apparently Honda and Suzuki can get on the podium, just not with Nicky (or Pedrosa in this case).....

I find the excuses Nicky excuses to be wearing thin this far into the season and really hoped he had turned things around at Sachsenring....now we will have to wait till Brno...

Absolutely...the biggest problem right now is Michelin. The new surface in Germany was just way more abrasive than Bridgestone thought. All of the Bridgestone guys went backwards when the tires started wearing. For whatever reason, the Michelin's did OK.

All of the Michelin guys are complaining. Nicky, Colin, Valentino, and Dani all talked about basically changing everything with their bikes trying to find grip.

I think Nicky's dealing with several issues. At the most basic level, the bike doesn't fit him. It was designed Dani, and Nicky doesn't even fit behind the fairing. Honda also missed the mark somewhat with the chassis...which was obviously improved with the latest chassis. Nicky's riding style isn't as well suited to the 800 as it was the 990. His background is dirt track, superbikes, and 990 GP bikes....all of which like a point and shoot style. The 800's like more corner speed and momentum like the 250's. And finally, Michelin isn't giving the riders a tire that works.

I have no doubt that Nicky will eventually be able to adjust his riding style to match the new bike. He's had to make big changes in his style in the past and always gets it done. Not as quickly as Valentino...who seems to be able to change his style to ride around just about any problem the bike throws at him, but he does eventually get it.

JerryMather
I have no doubt that Nicky will eventually be able to adjust his riding style to match the new bike. He's had to make big changes in his style in the past and always gets it done.

Maybe...........IMO I doubt it. Even if he does work it out, it really doesn't matter anymore for this season. He's history and may very well be on another manufactures bike before we see him up on the podium consistently again.

Don't get me wrong about this, I really like Nicky and his whole family but remember last year he wasn't always the fastest rider in the series. He was the most consistent in the series and capitalized on the other riders problems that happened throughout the year.

IMO, I still think that Cappirossi could very well have taken the championship if he hadn't been in that crash mid season when he was the leader in the points.

russell_bynum
Maybe...........IMO I doubt it.

He's never failed to overcome a personal weakness in the past, so I have no doubts that he'll figure this out.

Even if he does work it out, it really doesn't matter anymore for this season.

Absolutely. He'll be lucky to finish in the top 5 this year.

He's history and may very well be on another manufactures bike before we see him up on the podium consistently again.

Possibly. He's got another year with Repsol, so we'll see. Anything could happen, though. Hell...there's been rumors of putting Vale on the Tech 3 bike next year to get him on Bridgestones. We've got a whole bunch of really good talent in the series, and looking to get into the series, so I definitely think it is going to be tough for the older riders to stay employed.

IMO, I still think that Cappirossi could very well have taken the championship if he hadn't been in that crash mid season when he was the leader in the points.

Absolutely. If not for Barcelona, Loris would have been a very real title contender.

Archived