IGNORED

An Open Letter to the UN participants

Firefight911

Firefight911

An open letter to all:

This year’s UNrally approaches with much anticipation, excitement, and catalog pages turning with farkles to be added prior to departure time.

Along with this wonderful time of jubilation comes a need for the day to day activities of life to go on; work, bills, mow the lawn, do the laundry, and work some more.

As many of you know, this year’s UN holds a special meaning to me. I turn 40 while riding out, being a part of the Pied Piper portion of it, visiting Ground Zero at the World Trade Center along with the crash site of Flight 93 in Shanksville, PA, riding to Alaska, Canada, and marking off a trip of approximately 13,000 miles and 20 plus states. All the while enjoying the company of men, women, and fellow riders of like minds and breaking bread and wine with the same.

Am I ready? More than you know!!!! I have a new ’07 BMW R1200GSA outfitted with the necessary equipment to make the trip a trip of a lifetime. I have carefully selected the necessary gear to compliment the trip. I have been working out much more than usual to ensure a relaxing pain free journey with some long days of miles and smiles.

I even have a special spot reserved in the tank bag for some Oban.

So, what is this letter about? Well, with all the best laid plans, intentions, and execution, there come some events that just can not be over come no matter how much effort is put into the planning, the managing, and the mitigating of things that life throws at us.

As a result of several of these issues that I am unable to mitigate, I am faced with a very, very, VERY hard fact. I can not make this trip a reality.

As many of you know, my work has been overwhelming in the OT department. To date I have approximately 900 hours this year!! Doh!!

Well, you can imagine what that kind of OT can do to Uncle Sam and his desire to take a part of it!! Yea, well, uh, let’s see??? A part of it or a HUGE amount of it! Thank goodness for my CPA and my contacting him early on to deal with it.

With the unexpected huge burden of accommodating Uncle Sam, the fact that my wife is unable to attend due to her employer not granting her the time (even though he had conditionally done so previously), my desire to meet my obligations, pay for the trip, and do all of this without dipping into the emergency fund, it just isn’t reasonable.

Jamie and I have looked into flying out, making the trip shorter, etc., etc. It just isn’t to be.

So, let the harassing comments begin on how Richard may take forever to do his ride tale but he at least makes it to the ride. Yes, I know this is the 3rd ride (Spring Torrey – promotional interview for Engineer, DVD – promotional interview for Captain, and now the UN) I have had to bail out of this year.

All I can say is . . . OK, I ain’t got nothin’. Let the punishment begin!

In a separate note, Fall Torrey has confirmed reservations at the CW from Wed, Sept. 26 thru Monday, Oct. 1. Vacation is confirmed, Jamie is approved to be there, and I think I’ll throw some TKC’s on the GSA!!!

To all who offered a place to lay my head on the way out, Thank You!!!! To those who helped plan the event and the Pied Piper, Thank You!!!! To all the people who make this board and the ride worth it, Thank You!!!!

See you out there, sometime, somewhere, some how!!

As a consolation, I am already planning next year’s ride out with the World Trade Center, Shanksville, Indy Moto GP, Alaska, and Canada. Jamie and I leave August 31, 2008 (my 41st Bday). Of course, we’ll see where and when the UN is next year and try for that as well.

Phil, you can rest assured that next year's Un, will be a lot closer to your home than this year's, since we try and rotate them West/East/West/East every year.

Take the year that the circumstances have given you and try and learn more about where you're going and what you're going to see. Taking a trip like this, armed with foreknowledge, can help it unfold before you in wonderful ways.

You've done the physical prep. Now do the mental and the educational. It will pay off huge, I promise.

Firefight911

Thanks for that Fernando!! I needed the emotional buoy.

I agree wholeheartedly! I now have a full year to take the planning that had happened this year and really dig in and plan a glorious trip for next year. Other than having to wait for the time to roll around, it really gets me excited for it!

See you in Torrey!! wave.gif

WHAT BAD LUCK!! frown.gif

Joyce & I will miss seeing you again, both here in Dallas & at the UN.

On another note, we're heading to your neck of the woods next month; hope to buy you a beer on that trip.

Better luck next year!

Firefight911

On another note, we're heading to your neck of the woods next month; hope to buy you a beer on that trip.

Mmmmmmmm, Beeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr! <Homer Simpson voice inserted here>

Give us a jingle when you kno your schedule! thumbsup.gifwave.gif

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Phil... I am very sorry to hear this. confused.gif But like some of the others have said "you WILL make it someday.clap.gif Hope that all is well for you and your special Lady Jamie. thumbsup.gif I hope that my son and I can make at least one more trip to visit with you guys before I hang up my helmet for good. I have made the decision with a heavy heart.. but I know that it is indeed in my best interest to do so... even though it hurts like crazy. I don't think it is possible to have ridden more than 2 million miles without some misgivings about no longer riding. bncry.gif So, you go out there and ride all you can, when you can! wave.gifclap.giflurker.gif

So, I suppose now you're going to tell me you can't pay for half of my plane ticket to come see your sorry self. tongue.gif

Folks, this poor guy clearly needs our help.

Please send donations to phil@imaputz.net.

lmao.giflmao.gif

So, I suppose now you're going to tell me you can't pay for half of my plane ticket to come see your sorry self. tongue.gif

Folks, this poor guy clearly needs our help.

lmao.giflmao.gif

All that OT??? he can afford it..... lmao.gif

Phil,

I'm so sorry you won't be with us. frown.gif

Sooner or later you and your lovely lady will have a life!

You and the Hot Jamie are, of course, still welcome to come on out and wave the PPers on their way... (for that matter, come on out anytime...)(P.S. some fresh brewed wheat beer and a really nice stout is available for you slurping pleasure!)

Hopefully I'll see you at Fall Torrey.

I feel your pain my brotha. My job also requires mandatory overtime, especially in the winter. I'm single, gots no write off.

You got the GS I paid Uncle Sam for in taxes last year.

Cheer up, there's always next year!

clap.gif

Been in Canada sailing for the last two weeks and out of touch.

No gruff from me. Stuff happens and we make the best of it.

Will miss meeting you.

I guess we will have to cancel the big birthday bash we had planned at our house. lmao.gif

Your day will come.

See you down the road.

Regards,

Bud

Wow, Phil and Jamie,

We're so sorry you can't do this trip this time. But it'll happen sometime. Plus you'll be at Torrey all rested and fresh to welcome all back from the east. Hoping to see you guys then unless we get hung up in Helena.

Take care and say hi to Jamie.

n&g

Firefight911
Wow, Phil and Jamie,

We're so sorry you can't do this trip this time. But it'll happen sometime. Plus you'll be at Torrey all rested and fresh to welcome all back from the east. Hoping to see you guys then unless we get hung up in Helena.

Take care and say hi to Jamie.

n&g

1st rounds on me!! thumbsup.gif

Archived