IGNORED

BMW buys Husqvarna

DavidEBSmith

An interesting and logical step if BMW want to get into super-motard bikes which are very big in Europe.

Also interesting was the sales figures given, a profit of 66 milion Euro on sales of 1265 million euros - or 5.2%. So BMW corporate are not getting greedy in thier pricing.

Andy

Whew! For a moment there I thought I was going to have to stock two-stroke oil and chainsaw parts!

Plus, we already sell Vespa and dealing with one Italian company dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif is enough to last anyone a lifetime.

So, now I can put a Roundel on my riding lawn mower?

Which is realy a Crapsman, which is made by MTD, which also makes the the Husky mower.

Whew! For a moment there I thought I was going to have to stock two-stroke oil and chainsaw parts!

Plus, we already sell Vespa and dealing with one Italian company is enough to last anyone a lifetime.

This may not include the non-motorcycle members of the Husqvarna group, but that press release still seems to leave out the details of other integration, other than the fact that the Italian folks stay around.

What strikes me as odd, so maybe I'm reading too much into the statements, is that it sounds like Husqvarna Motorcycles, the brand, will remain. If so, I guess I'm left wondering what the point is. After all, Husqvarna isn't BMW, so it doesn't do anything to expand the BMW brand into these other areas, or even to develop it through racing or anything else.

Is the know-how to engineer and build such bikes under the BMW name so scarce that BMW would need to buy the company?

Sounds like something BMW did successfully with MINI abd disastrously with Land Rover.

That was my thoughts also

Now maybe someone can show/tell BMW how to build a dirt bike. But, then again,you can lead a horse to water........

Paul Mihalka
Now maybe someone can show/tell BMW how to build a dirt bike. But, then again,you can lead a horse to water........
Winning the Paris-Dakar a few times doesn't need some dirt bike know-how? wink.gif
John Ranalletta

Plus, we already sell Vespa and dealing with one Italian company is enough to last anyone a lifetime.

This may not include the non-motorcycle members of the Husqvarna group, but that press release still seems to leave out the details of other integration, other than the fact that the Italian folks stay around.

What strikes me as odd, so maybe I'm reading too much into the statements, is that it sounds like Husqvarna Motorcycles, the brand, will remain. If so, I guess I'm left wondering what the point is. After all, Husqvarna isn't BMW, so it doesn't do anything to expand the BMW brand into these other areas, or even to develop it through racing or anything else.

Is the know-how to engineer and build such bikes under the BMW name so scarce that BMW would need to buy the company?

Husqvarna (exc motos) is a client. They sold the mc business as I understand it and their US brands include home and garden tools/machines and concrete saws (Olathe, KS).
John Ranalletta

An unnamed BMW official was quoted as saying, "...the only downside of the deal was Husqvarna had too many dealers, but we know how to solve that problem".

great! now i can get my husky chain saw serviced at the same time, i think my weedeater needs some work too. clap.gif

Yeah, but next time you go to buy a Husqvarna chain saw, it'll weight twice as much, have a servo to do _______, and the chain will be replaced with a shaft drive.

So have fun cutting that 24" oak tree! tongue.gif

Winning the Paris-Dakar a few times doesn't need some dirt bike know-how? wink.gif

Why, did they buy KTM too?... smile.gif

Just kidding...

Husqvarna (exc motos) is a client. They sold the mc business as I understand it and their US brands include home and garden tools/machines and concrete saws (Olathe, KS).

The press release says it was for Husqvarna Motorcycles, which was owned by the MV Agusta Group. The Husqvarna Group website notes that the motorcycle business was owned separately.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what the branding will be. If Husqvarna Motorcycles is going to remain, does that mean the BMW Motorrad will be selling Husqvarna motorcycles (clearly not something Fernando wants) or does it mean Husqvarna will simply be doing manufacturing for BMW, which was already rumored for some newer models, anyway?

I dunno, and it's certainly not a pressing question. The press release was just devoid of even more than minimal details.

Every time BMW rolls that HP2 out to a desert race it comes in several hours behind a Honda. Is that what BMW had in mind when they made the HP2? A $20,000 3rd. place motorcycle??

haah, now I get it. dealer said today that BMW bought Husky and Iwondered why would they buy a bicycle brand..............

Husqvarna used to be Swedish of course and then the Italians bought it a few years ago. All foretry machinery is not part of this and I am sure BMW will use the brand just like Rolls Royce and MINI became part of them.

KTM is nt for sale and the italians could not handle the off road..... I guess.

More dealers would be good but we are ok in Atl.

h

John Bentall

Theres a lot going on in Europe which is difficult to make out. BMW collaborating with KTM on developing a neck brace, with Aprilia in manufacturing singles, with Rotax on engine development and now Husqvarna enters the picture - bought for an undisclosed sum. KTM is now owned by someone else, I believe - perhaps someone will remind me.

Actually I would say not, the needs for Paris-Dakar are quite different from normal dirt riding.
steve.foote

Theres a lot going on in Europe which is difficult to make out. BMW collaborating with KTM on developing a neck brace, with Aprilia in manufacturing singles, with Rotax on engine development and now Husqvarna enters the picture - bought for an undisclosed sum. KTM is now owned by someone else, I believe - perhaps someone will remind me.

Husky and KTM have a lot in common. It may be a stretch to claim that they are joined at the hip, but the case could be made that they are related. This could turn out to be quite a sequence of events.

roadscholar

1. To compete directly with KTM. Market share is about numbers and it's easier to sell a lot of inexpensive small displacement bikes than the opposite. Market share is clout.

2. BMW sees KTM moving in on their turf with the 950 and 990 bikes and is fighting back.

3. Honda (and later Yamamha) learned many years ago if you can start a kid off on your bike, chances are he'll remain brand loyal throughout his riding career.

roadscholar

True.

4. Snowball effect. When you sell more bikes, you sell more bikes (is that you Yogi?).

5. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday (or maybe Tuesday). Racing victories are an obvious sales tool.

1. To compete directly with KTM. Market share is about numbers and it's easier to sell a lot of inexpensive small displacement bikes than the opposite. Market share is clout.

Did you say "inexpensive" small displacement bikes? I thought they were pretty expensive, like $8k for a 450 dirt bike.

My first thought from the topic was "Well, my 1150RT already sounds like a sewing machine." Guess I need to quit reading my wife's quilting magazines. I shouldn't know that Husky makes such things. Then my first reaction could have been, "Cool, I wonder if the chainsaws will get ABS chain brakes." A lot more masculine.

More dealers????

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

We have a local Husky dealer and a local Bmw dealer (who also happens to sell KTM). This could get interesting... confused.gif

BMW wants to truely compete with KTM and they want the new 250cc motor from husky. the current 450 prototype moto from BMW is taking a back burner for the moment.

roadscholar

I always thought it a bit pricey for a 450cc dirtbike but RichardD says it's worth every penny and then some.

Maybe less expensive. I was thinking about the 50 to 200cc range anyway, there isn't a big profit but they get the numbers moving, especially in December when the big bikes are slow, and can tide a dealer over till Spring.

I'm not familiar with prices but would guess $1795.-$3995. would be a good starter for something with the BMQvarna name on it.

Archived