IGNORED

camping

JamesW

Does anybody know of a website that lists campgrounds be they state, federal, or private and what facilities they offer for primarily the nortwest region? I am particularly interested in campgrounds with showers.

Thanks all smile.gif

Steve_Witmer

I don't have a url for you, but the Forest Service operates some campsites, and so does the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. It seems they can't dam up a stream without building a campground on the shores of the lake the dam creates. Lots of the Corps campgrounds have good facilities.

On the private side, check out KOA.com All of their campgrounds should have showers.

You can also check the website of the state parks department of whatever state you are headed to.

Your local AAA has an excellent Campbook that lists all campgrounds and services public or private. The books are free to members and I believe can be purchased by non-members. You can get them at your local AAA office or by calling.

Your local AAA has an excellent Campbook that lists all campgrounds and services public or private. The books are free to members and I believe can be purchased by non-members. You can get them at your local AAA office or by calling.

Really? Thats good info. Thanks for the heads up. I might just have to stop and pick one of those up.

Hey Ted, that was great advice. I called AAA and they are sending me a northwest region campground guide as well as a guide for BC and Alberta which I can use because we are only 10 miles from the boarder. Oh, AAA doesn't offer these guides to non members so they told me. Lucky I am a member.

Missouri Bob

I quit using KOA after one of their campgrounds charged me ten bucks to cancel a reservation I'd made the day before - two weeks before I was due to go there.

Pilgrim

Last month, one night of one-person tent camping at the Durango (CO) KOA cost me slightly more than $30. I won't do that again.

Bob

Last month, one night of one-person tent camping at the Durango (CO) KOA cost me slightly more than $30. I won't do that again.

Bob

We ran into that a few times when we did our coast to coast back in '05. I can think of 3 times off the top of my head that a local hotel ended up being cheaper than camping at the local KOA. That was my first experience with KOA and it will most likely be my last unless I am in a pinch.

Ah, motorcycle camping, the union of two outdoor sports !

Consider going to that old fashion information source, the local public library and ask the reference desk for a national camp ground directory. It lists all federal, state campgrounds, parks, Land Management camp sites, and others I forgot.

Years ago I carried one of these telephone directory sized books and hunted down the most out of the way campgrounds.

Wooster whose camp gear includes bag o'ice and six pack

Archived