IGNORED

Head for the Hills!

pbbeck

I was reading a discussion in another forum about the "perfect motorcycle," and it got me thinking about an absurd yet interesting scenario.

Let's say that a major apocalyptic event left you with 5 minutes to grab a few things and head for the hills. As the highways leaving town become glogged with motorists, you'll be glad you are on a bike. Assuming your family and loved ones were safe, which bike would you take? Or, which bike would you WISH you had?

Sadly, I think I'd take my Honda Element. Having a 4 wheeled vehicle would seem to pose advantages (shelter, security, ability to haul necessities, etc.) that just wouldn't be there on the bike. With 4wd capability (albeit limited in an Element) I'd have some off road capability too. Once hooking up with my family I'd also be in a position to transport them as well.

If I were a bachelor I'd just put a bottle of Captain Morgan and a six pack in the bags on the RT and head out. dopeslap.gif

I've often thought that a perfect motorcycle had some element of a "convertible child's toy" to it. In other words, I could stop on the side of the ride and shorten the wheelbase, extend the suspension to add some clearance, and flip a lever to change gearing ratios. Thus, if the bike was light in the first place and had the right tires (like TKC-80s), I could move from a higher speed road bike lower to the ground that steered well to a lower speed dirt bike with more clearance that didn't turn like a semi-truck.

I already live in the sticks. I'll just keep the bikes in the garage with fuel, my truck fueled up, and my rifle loaded smirk.gif

No, I don't live on a compound. Just have fun with this.

I would have to say something simple like a 125cc or 250cc single cyl. on / off road bike... one that if gas was a factor I could get along way with it and be able to push it if needed without much of a problem.

My F650GS without a doubt. Quick, nimble, able to traverse dirt and gravel, can carry two easily, and gets the same or better fuel economy as my buddies little KLR 250 with better fuel range... over 70 mpg on 4.1 gallons!

By the way, here's my escape route:

f650.jpg

Steve_Witmer

I think the motorcycle for the apocalytic scenario would be the Bulldog D650A1, the diesel version of the Kawasaki KLR650. Dual purpose capable and nearly 600 miles on a tank of diesel. This of course means you could find a refill almost anywhere, even if the power grid is shut down, assuming someone would sell or barter some #2 heating oil siphoned from the tank at their house (and if it's the apocalypse I won't be worrying about the fact that the motor fuels tax wasn't paid on the heating oil).

Wow! Apocolyptic means spotty or no power grid, and that means no power to pump gasoline. Access to fuel would be manual pumping at best, so better pack one of the tools to open station tank fill caps, and a hand pump and a jury-rigged long hose or you won't be traveling far regardless of on what. Better include a small pry to get at parked auto gas tanks too.

So, really, one isn't going to get very far, and Way Out West most of us face only very far to get to other possibly livable conditions. Places like the Snake River Valley where crops actually could be grown through manual cooperatives or communes would be prime destinations. To be a valid participant in what I experienced in my own youth as typical rural Community, one would be well served to bring Tools: You're going to need to carry a bunch of stuff, as much of "smart stuff" as you can that you've got in your garage, right?

I don't own any greatly "sensible" bikes for this scenario, so I'd just take my heaviest hauling Sport Tourer, the FJR. My first thoughts were to ride out on a KLR, but the load I can put together suggests it would be overwhelmed by the weight. So, a Rxx00GS (finally) becomes a worthwhile ride to me.

However. I know I may not be able to travel that far, and/or won't really be riding all that much when I get there, reliability and parts issues are not very important. Thus, I'd be happy to ride out on an R50 or R6x-series. It hauls a load, and while slow at it, it's just fine off road. I've crossed the Sahara on one several times and it worked out just fine.

It's amazing how valuable Simple Solutions are. Especially when the chips are down.

Best wishes.

Archived