IGNORED

Cell Phone Use on your trip

Kathy R

For those of us on Nextels...there is little to NO coverage in all of Wyoming. Atleast that is what Nextel is confirming for me.

There is little to no coverage on my route north through Utah, unless I'm on slab...and I don't think that's going to happen.

So bring your phone cards and get in line at the pay phone for our nightly call to the SO...or we can tackle Marty and use his phone. wink.gif

The only place in Utah that my Nextel phone ever worked was in St. George, but I never got to Salt Lake, so no comment there. My new Verizon phone should work better in Wyoming, as Sean says!

Verizon didn't work in Tonopah, even though Nextel did, so I think I'm never going back to Tonopah. clap.gif

AT&T even has digital coverage in Torrey!

For those of us on Nextels...there is little to NO coverage in all of Wyoming. Atleast that is what Nextel is confirming for me.

That's why I have verizon grin.gif

Verizon didn't work in Tonopah, even though Nextel did, so I think I'm never going back to Tonopah. clap.gif

AT&T even has digital coverage in Torrey!

Verizon doesn't work in Torrey dopeslap.gif
Verizon doesn't work in Torrey
Yeah it does. In fact, I had to lend my phone to Michael so he could call home (I believe he had AT&T).
Yeah it does. In fact, I had to lend my phone to Michael so he could call home (I believe he had AT&T).

What model phone? I've never had a signal anywhere around Torrey with my Motorola T720 from Verizon. It'll be interesting to see if it works at all in Cody.

If I remember to turn it on... grin.gif

Heck. I'm leaving my "phone home!"

She knows where I am. What I'm doing. Who I'm with. That I love her. cool.gif

If I could talk with the DOG, to tell him how much I miss him... frown.gif now that would be reason to bring the phone! thumbsup.gif

Didn't work during the week I was there this spring and I tried it all over the area.
What model phone? I've never had a signal anywhere around Torrey with my Motorola T720 from Verizon. It'll be interesting to see if it works at all in Cody.
It's a Motorola flip-phone with a color display, but I don't see a model number anywhere... When it boots up, it says "aGPS." Does that mean anything?

I can't remember where, exactly, in Torrey I used it, but both Michael and I called home on it every day we were there.

DavidEBSmith

I could get analog coverage on Sprint in Torrey if I walked out into the Chuckwagon parking lot near the highway. Most of the time, anyway. And never could get any signal near the motel rooms.

If you have a digital-only phone, or a multi-mode phone that's set not to go to analog, you'll have a much poorer chance of getting reception in out-of-the-way places like Torrey and Cody, regardless of your service carrier. Another reason (besides being cheap) that I'm hanging on to my funky old dual-band StarTac.

It's a Motorola flip-phone with a color display, but I don't see a model number anywhere... When it boots up, it says "aGPS." Does that mean anything?

It means you should've read the manual so you'd know the model no? welcome.gif

To clarify my Torrey comment, there were individuals at Torrey a few weeks ago that were able to use their "digital only" AT&T phones. My "digital only" Verizon phone had no signal at all in Torrey, or in Tonopah.

I'll be going back to Torrey though. thumbsup.gif

You ought to be in the KC area, home of Sprint. Frequently cannot get a signal here! And, more aggravating, on many trips the guys standing next to me, with just about any other cell service, get a signal. Call me a former Sprint customer!

Its a good idea to keep an old analog phone charged up and in your jacket pocket. Even with no contract, they all work for 911 calls.

"Help, I've fallen and I can't get up..."

It means you should've read the manual so you'd know the model no?
It came with a manual? Musta been in that box of stuff I threw out... grin.gif

I do know that it's both a digital and analog phone, however. So maybe that's why I was able to make calls from Torrey? Or maybe the rest of you were always standing under some dark microwave cloud...

I do know that it's both a digital and analog phone, however. So maybe that's why I was able to make calls from Torrey? Or maybe the rest of you were always standing under some dark microwave cloud...
My phone is both analog and digital, it's a Motorola but also with no obvious model number (maybe a 120?) No Verizon for me in Torrey, maybe the tower blew over since Sean was there.
To clarify my Torrey comment, there were individuals at Torrey a few weeks ago that were able to use their "digital only" AT&T phones. My "digital only" Verizon phone had no signal at all in Torrey, or in Tonopah.

I'll be going back to Torrey though. thumbsup.gif

I was also able to get a digital signal using my TDMA (as opposed to GSM) AT&T phone at Torrey.

Archived